• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What music are you listening to currently?

Charlie Haden / Jim Hall - Charlie Haden / Jim Hall
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things

R-2741508-1298931322.jpeg.jpg

Original 1972 issue. Includes Vassar Clements as a member of the band.

Doc

163279-L-LO.jpg

Long time since "III". This guy changed my musical life. I can tell you exactly how I felt and where I was when I heard "I"

Doc

Always liked the rendition of Wave by Mike Auldridge on The Great Dobro Sessions.
I wasn't familiar with Auldridge. A buddy and I checked this, and some more of his work out. Outstanding! Thanks Doc, and Devon.

My buddy showed me this fellow, who I was vaguely familiar with from Union Station:
Different, but also freaky good:

eta:

This is where I remembered Douglas from. I have a pretty big soft spot for Alison Krauss. As my Mom says "A voice like a bell".

Worth a listen....

Mike Auldridge / Jerry Douglas / Rob Ickes - Three Bells.

A couple Douglas recordings I enjoy:

Jerry Douglas - The Best Kept Secret
Jerry Douglas - Traveler

Allison Krauss does a selection on each, as well as quite a few other artists.

edit/spelling

Last edited:
Barney Kessel - Vol. 3, "to swing or not to swing"
Jimmy Bruno / Joe Beck - Polarity

Birth Of The Cool was resampled to 24bit 192Khz which might be overkill for a 60 year old mono release but it does sound pretty good.

Birth Of The Cool was resampled to 24bit 192Khz which might be overkill for a 60 year old mono release but it does sound pretty good.
The reason I was wondering was, it was one of the first CDs I bought back in the day. It's terrible. The highs are strident among other things. It's almost unlistenable. I've been looking for a M- copy of the original, but no luck yet at a reasonable price.

Doc

The reason I was wondering was, it was one of the first CDs I bought back in the day. It's terrible. The highs are strident among other things. It's almost unlistenable. I've been looking for a M- copy of the original, but no luck yet at a reasonable price.

Doc
The CD has been remastered and there is a 2 CD release with live versions included. In reality a mono record of that era really needs a mono stylus too.

The CD has been remastered and there is a 2 CD release with live versions included. In reality a mono record of that era really needs a mono stylus too.
I do have a mono switch. Not perfect, but better than no switch. A mono cartridge, perhaps the Ortofon Black, is next on the list. We'll, after a hearing aid.;)

Doc

Last edited:
OK, I admit it. I love girl groups from the early '60s
You remind me of a Grateful Dead Concert I went to. They played "The Supremes" for a couple of hours before Willie Nelson opened for the Dead. Folks were quite happy with it. I just remember thinking they were going to riot, and being quite surprised at their reactions. Best "feel good" concert I ever went to. Folks (including security) were happy, dancing, sharing, and very stoned.

I do have a mono switch. Not perfect, but better than no switch. A mono cartridge, perhaps the Ortofon Black, is next on the list.

Doc
The Black is a very good cartridge but when you get near the $1K mark it starts to come down to personal preference more than performance. I'm not quite there with an AT-OC9III on my main table, a Signet 111E on the second table and a Stanton 681EEE on the third table. The Stanton is on the 3rd replacement stylus as it was the one I used the most when ripping a few thousand albums. The Signet is pretty much done and being a moving coil a retip is about the only option. Being that is a $400 option I might just go with a new cartridge since the Signet only cost $175 .... in 1978 (I bought 2, this is the second one) although a few NOS ones are in the $650 range so it may be worthwhile. Or I might just retire the rig and keep it as a spare instead of keeping it in use which is probably the option that makes the most sense economically.

I would have bet you were an MC guy though.

The Black is a very good cartridge but when you get near the $1K mark it starts to come down to personal preference more than performance. I'm not quite there with an AT-OC9III on my main table, a Signet 111E on the second table and a Stanton 681EEE on the third table. The Stanton is on the 3rd replacement stylus as it was the one I used the most when ripping a few thousand albums. The Signet is pretty much done and being a moving coil a retip is about the only option. Being that is a $400 option I might just go with a new cartridge since the Signet only cost $175 .... in 1978 (I bought 2, this is the second one) although a few NOS ones are in the $650 range so it may be worthwhile. Or I might just retire the rig and keep it as a spare instead of keeping it in use which is probably the option that makes the most sense economically.

I would have bet you were an MC guy though.
I am an MC guy. I have a Dynavector 20x2 L on my main table, a VPI Classic I. I'm not really interested in spending a grand on a mono cartridge. The Ortofon Black is less than $400 and it'll go on my VPI HW-19jr. I can also plug it into my phono pre-amp directly, without unplugging my Dynavector. The best of both worlds in my opinion, convenience and performance.

Doc

I didn
I am an MC guy. I have a Dynavector 20x2 L on my main table, a VPI Classic I. I'm not really interested in spending a grand on a mono cartridge. The Ortofon Black is less than $400 and it'll go on my VPI HW-19jr. I can also plug it into my phono pre-amp directly, without unplugging my Dynavector. The best of both worlds in my opinion, convenience and performance.

Doc
I didn't see a current Ortofon Black (2M model) for under $760. Now the Ortofon 2M Mono is under $400 but that isn't listed as a "Black". What am I missing?