• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Steak w sautéed mushrooms. Baked Ahi tuna and pepper encrusted chicken breasts as backups. 20160620_233524.jpg 20160620_233515.jpg 20160620_234056.jpg

Kale and greens salad with tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, cucumbers, croutons topped with pepper encrusted chicken with Italian dressing.

20160622_154010.jpg

Pasta with a ricotta and ham "sauce". Peas and onions, & Mushroom and spinach salad.

Made shrimp stuffed bell peppers last night and will be having the other half of them tonight. Came out pretty good!

~Boar
That sounds pretty good and reminds me of Bubba. I don't think he ever mentioned shrimp stuffed bell peppers. Care to share the recipe?

Doc

Care to share the recipe?

Doc

You'll laugh. ;)

I split the bell peppers in half, which seems to be the new way to do it---my mother always cut the tops off, which I think actually makes a nicer presentation and maybe cooks a bit better---and put a little grated Parmesan, some chopped basil, and three large cooked shrimp in each half. Sauteed some onions and mushrooms, mixed them into some cooked rice, added cream of shrimp condensed soup (next time I'm going with a quality alfredo sauce instead) and spooned that in around the shrimp, making sure to pack it in pretty good. Topped 'em with a half Parmesan/half Italian seasoned bread crumb mix and baked at 375º for 40 minutes, which has turned out to be just right in my oven.

Honestly, it had been so long since I made stuffed bells before I tried the Philly cheesesteak ones I'd forgotten how easy they are. They're really just casserole in a bell pepper---meat, starch, sauce, cheese, and it all begins with caramelizing some chopped onion, celery, and garlic. You can put anything you want in there! :D

I'm thinking of doing some Frito Pie ones next. There's a tub of chili in the freezer I need to use up.

~Boar

You'll laugh. ;)

I split the bell peppers in half, which seems to be the new way to do it---my mother always cut the tops off, which I think actually makes a nicer presentation and maybe cooks a bit better---and put a little grated Parmesan, some chopped basil, and three large cooked shrimp in each half. Sauteed some onions and mushrooms, mixed them into some cooked rice, added cream of shrimp condensed soup (next time I'm going with a quality alfredo sauce instead) and spooned that in around the shrimp, making sure to pack it in pretty good. Topped 'em with a half Parmesan/half Italian seasoned bread crumb mix and baked at 375º for 40 minutes, which has turned out to be just right in my oven.

Honestly, it had been so long since I made stuffed bells before I tried the Philly cheesesteak ones I'd forgotten how easy they are. They're really just casserole in a bell pepper---meat, starch, sauce, cheese, and it all begins with caramelizing some chopped onion, celery, and garlic. You can put anything you want in there! :D

I'm thinking of doing some Frito Pie ones next. There's a tub of chili in the freezer I need to use up.

~Boar

How do you not weigh eleventy thousand pounds????

Hard cheese and fish is an anathema, to Italians. Parm is much to strong for the delicate flavor of shrimp. Ricotta, mozzarella. or some other very mild cheese might be more appropriate. Homemade cream of shrimp is not hard to make. I think this recipe would be fun to tweak. Thanks for taking the time.

Doc

Hard cheese and fish is an anathema, to Italians. Parm is much to strong for the delicate flavor of shrimp. Ricotta, mozzarella. or some other very mild cheese might be more appropriate. Homemade cream of shrimp is not hard to make. I think this recipe would be fun to tweak. Thanks for taking the time.

Doc

I eat Parm Regiano like Bugs Bunny eats carrots.

What's this much too strong bidness? :p

Hmmmm . . . a nice gooey slice of fresh mozz on top of each one, and some toasted bread crumbs on top of THAT. Not a bad idea!

You've also got me wondering about mascarpone now, Doc. That would be great with shrimp.

~Boar

The rest of the batch. :)

13557755_10209654563910727_6874188264404660417_n.jpg

~Boar

My son wanted a steak and cheese for dinner. I shaved a ribeye, and then cooked it like a patty melt. Pretty good. He's been on a meat kick. He'll be 13 this year, is fairly slim, but his teen appetite is kicking in full force. He ate a full pound of BBQ too. Geebus, I need to get in the grocery biz.

Oh gods, I remember my teenage years! My folks used to keep twenty pound boxes of chicken friend steaks in the freezer so I could make myself a "snack" after school to get me through to dinner!

~Boar

Oh gods, I remember my teenage years! My folks used to keep twenty pound boxes of chicken friend steaks in the freezer so I could make myself a "snack" after school to get me through to dinner!

~Boar
I know I used to eat two big plates of spaghetti, about 8 meatballs, and a minimum of a quart of milk. Five homestyle cheeseburgers was not a problem either, in my teens. And, I was 50 lbs lighter!

And you didn't sit on your ass all day, either.:D

Doc
Hah!

eta: My son just asked if we can get more BBQ. Wants 2 lbs this time, as 1 lb isn't enough.
I Think it's time to take him to that Brazilian Steakhouse with the all you can eat deal. Fogo de Chao.

eta: Holy crap, if I make a reservation, My son can eat free!

Last edited:
Hah!

eta: My son just asked if we can get more BBQ. Wants 2 lbs this time, as 1 lb isn't enough.
I Think it's time to take him to that Brazilian Steakhouse with the all you can eat deal. Fogo de Chao.

eta: Holy crap, if I make a reservation, My son can eat free!
They may be changing their policy once you you leave ;) :D

Churrascarias like Fogo de Chao or AYCE Korean BBQ are your best bets.

Yesterday I threw a pork butt in the slow cooker. Here it is being seared at about 6am (salted for a few hours and then put a dry rub on it for a night before searing in the AM):
25thi4h.jpg

Set the slow cooker on high for about 4.5 hours. Added some diced onions and carrots to the pot along with the butt, some leftover tomato puree, and 1/3 bottle of red wine. After 4.5 hours on high came 5 hours on low. It pretty much pulled apart at will. Had to reduce down the liquid (a pet peeve of mine, since my intention is to make stews, not soups, but I always end up with a gallon of thin liquid in the pot) which turned into a really nice red wine/tomato gravy.
4uyn0w.jpg