• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Hah!

eta: My son just asked if we can get more BBQ. Wants 2 lbs this time, as 1 lb isn't enough.
I Think it's time to take him to that Brazilian Steakhouse with the all you can eat deal. Fogo de Chao.

eta: Holy crap, if I make a reservation, My son can eat free!
Last one I went to, a couple years ago, I estimated putting away about 5lbs of meat. Could barely walk to my car and get in.

Last one I went to, a couple years ago, I estimated putting away about 5lbs of meat. Could barely walk to my car and get in.
Never went to one. Almost did one time when we were in Orlando, but driving there sucks. Atlanta is no picnic, but at least you don't have to go 10 miles out of your way if you make a wrong turn.

I'm making some homemade Mac & Cheese for tonight. Will make Steak and Asparagus. Some Strawberries on the side. Strawberries have been really good the past few years.

Beef Top Round London Broil (sautéed then baked) and Yellow fin tuna steaks and chicken breast (both baked) as backups.20160628_232444.jpg 20160628_232522.jpg 20160628_232454.jpg

Beef Top Round London Broil (sautéed then baked) and Yellow fin tuna steaks and chicken breast (both baked) as backups.

Backups in case someone comes over or in case you're still hungry or in case the steak sucks? Which one, because it seems you're always having backups.

Backups in case someone comes over or in case you're still hungry or in case the steak sucks? Which one, because it seems you're always having backups.

I was just going to ask this same question. I don't think I ever make a backup when I make dinner. Seems like a lot of extra effort. JMO.

Economy of motion. All meat is frozen, so needs time to thaw before being prepared. So to use as little gas and time as possible for cooking. I take the steak out with other meats to cook all at one time. Not, a master chef, so mistakes are possible, but not likely. Backups, really are cook other meats now, refrigerate and eat later for the rest of the week-but, cook everything at once, not three separate times (too much work). I realized after sautéing a steak and finishing it in the oven I could also bake chicken or fish by the time the steak finished in the oven (over the next two meal preps-defrosting-again ask myself, why didn't I bake this with that steak in the oven a few days ago?

So none of the reason you mentioned. Just a solution for one guy to cook three meals at one time-easy and cheaper.

Makes perfect sense, it was just strange that you always had a backup meal. So you're prepping/cooking several meals at once, got it.

Guess it works! Then you've got meals for the week. Also, are you just in a bad living situation for a grill? All of the stuff you like to cook would rock on a grill.

Guess it works! Then you've got meals for the week. Also, are you just in a bad living situation for a grill? All of the stuff you like to cook would rock on a grill.
Totally agree. I've never baked a steak before, so I have no idea what it tastes like, but after grilling steaks, I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Makes perfect sense, it was just strange that you always had a backup meal. So you're prepping/cooking several meals at once, got it.
I also perceived it as a backup incase the original meal got effed up. I was wondering how much time and money was wasted in one or two backups each night lol Glad that was clarified ;)

Had to reduce down the liquid (a pet peeve of mine, since my intention is to make stews, not soups, but I always end up with a gallon of thin liquid in the pot) which turned into a really nice red wine/tomato gravy.

Well done! I get this as well, and I just do 1tsp of cornstarch in 3tbsp warm water, stir until blended and incorporate to make the roux.

Totally agree. I've never baked a steak before, so I have no idea what it tastes like, but after grilling steaks, I can't imagine doing it any other way.
I prefer grilling but learned to use the oven when I moved to an apartment that didn't have any community grills. My M.O. is to sear in a cast iron pan for crust/caramelization and then bake in the cast iron pan with a probe thermometer until the desired temp is reached. Good, but lacks the smokiness you get from any gas or charcoal grill. Reminds me, I really gotta clean up my parents grill so we can use it again.

I prefer grilling but learned to use the oven when I moved to an apartment that didn't have any community grills. My M.O. is to sear in a cast iron pan for crust/caramelization and then bake in the cast iron pan with a probe thermometer until the desired temp is reached. Good, but lacks the smokiness you get from any gas or charcoal grill. Reminds me, I really gotta clean up my parents grill so we can use it again.
That is basically what I do. I did come across a method which is the reverse, i.e., cooking in a lower temp oven first, then finishing in a pan. Claim was a more even doneness through the whole steak. Also claims of being juicier (which is really just fat). I may try it some time. Any video or photos presented did seem to visually back up the claim.

That is basically what I do. I did come across a method which is the reverse, i.e., cooking in a lower temp oven first, then finishing in a pan. Claim was a more even doneness through the whole steak. Also claims of being juicier (which is really just fat). I may try it some time. Any video or photos presented did seem to visually back up the claim.

My buddy's pop swears by the reverse sear.

Friends of mine love the sous vide cooking method. Have had it prepared sous vide and was pretty darn good if you prefer steaks less than well done. Most of the videos are touting the machines, but Personally I refuse to buy another kitchen machine, should be able to control water temp with a simple thermometer as we already have one of those vacuum packer things. Just haven't found the opportunity yet.

When I didn't have a grill I used to sear it, but like I said, have never tried baking. I prefer my steaks rare/med-rare so I'd hate to over cook it. At least with pan searing you get the crust/carmalization you mentioned. I save the oven for chicken, but even then I prefer the grill for that too lol

It seems like a common thing then to bake a steak, I've never really heard of this lol. I don't want an even doneness, I want pink or red in the middle. And can't it cook through just from leaving it in the pan on the stove? Well I suppose I understand the oven for better cooking if you prefer it well done (aka beef jerky :p ).