• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

I was watching a show called "Chopped" on the food network and they had canned whole chicken... That's disgusting.
wLwk2.jpg

Gods, I remember those. Never eaten one, mind you . . . *shudder* . . . but eons ago we used to put together bags of groceries to distribute in poor neighborhoods, and we always put one of those in. Looking at the pics . . . I feel kinda bad about that now! :eek:

~Boar

Guess what I saw on the menu today....
That's right. Seafood and cheese and grits*. Should have ordered it, but I got the crawfish combo instead.

*nobody from the South calls it polenta.

IMG_20160926_111836.jpg

nobody from the South calls it polenta
Completely different corn is used for Polenta vice Grits. I think my nonna used Polenta more for a poultice than we ate it.
She'd give you a sandwich of hot peppers and garlic with olive oil, put you in bed, slap a poultice of hot Polenta on your chest, cover you with 3 blankets, and
sweat you out. Not one of my more fond memories, but she did do it with unconditional love. :D

Completely different corn is used for Polenta vice Grits. I think my nonna used Polenta more for a poultice than we ate it.
She'd give you a sandwich of hot peppers and garlic with olive oil, put you in bed, slap a poultice of hot Polenta on your chest, cover you with 3 blankets, and
sweat you out. Not one of my more fond memories, but she did do it with unconditional love. :D

Totally makes sense. It's a large mass of moist heat. Toss in some homemade cough syrup and I'm not gonna move a muscle. ;)

I'm planning on having some friends over in a couple weeks for a little Oktoberfest celebration and did a trial run on some food I plan on providing. Grabbed a knackwurst and a bratwurst from a good German deli, in addition to some dumplings (freeze dried) and a bottle of curry ketchup (for making currywurst). Turned out well. The dumplings of course are not as good as freshly made ones from scratch but I've never made them before and my hands will be full with cooking other things that day.
oivy34.jpg

I'm planning on having some friends over in a couple weeks for a little Oktoberfest celebration and did a trial run on some food I plan on providing. Grabbed a knackwurst and a bratwurst from a good German deli, in addition to some dumplings (freeze dried) and a bottle of curry ketchup (for making currywurst). Turned out well. The dumplings of course are not as good as freshly made ones from scratch but I've never made them before and my hands will be full with cooking other things that day.
oivy34.jpg
Dumplings are easy. Check it out before you give up on them.

Doc

Spaghetti and Meatballs with some nice cheeses and salumi that I found last night.

I took my son for a drive last night, which he loves to do, including "exploring".
We checked out the new Kroger and I was thrilled to see that they have a VERY nice selection of Italian Cheeses and Cured Meats, from Murray's, that I just couldn't get around here.
They even had Buffalo Mozzarella, which I'll get when I'm ready to make a pizza. Buffalo Mozz starts degrading very fast. You haven't lived until you've had a Pizza Margherita with Buffalo Mozz, San Marzano Tomatoes, and Fresh Basil.

Picked my boy up from school and he said "I'm starving, let's go to the New Kroger again and get some sandwich stuff"
Smoked ham, prosciutto, Smoked Gouda, and Fresh Mozzarella. Made some sandwiches. He also had some Fresh Mac & Cheese. He doesn't like any dressings, mayo, etc on his sandwich. I had Prosciutto and Mozz with a great Greek Olive Oil and Balsamic. It was sublime.

I spied some Acorn Fed Prosciutto. Guess what I'm buying Saturday?

image.jpeg First off that canned whole chicken is one of the most awful visuals ever.

Last night my daughters made dinner, roasted chicken breasts with fresh salsa, tri-colored roasted potatoes, seasoned brilliantly, and spinach soufflé.

Madonna Mia...leftover Bucatini Amatriciana...a bit too much. Always better the next day.
I even got my son to try it, after some persuasion. The onions had him concerned, but he liked it.

They had mole festival in downtown today. I went, unfortunately the crowds were too large and after sitting in line for one of the food tents for about 20 minutes and barely moving, my mom and I walked over to Philippes for a french dip. Had the pork french dip with a side of slaw and a baked apple for dessert.

First pic, enough food for 4 people, second pic, enough food for 400 peeps. LOL!!!!
LOL 1st enough for myself, 2cnd pic is last 2 racks there were another 3 racks before that and tons of sides :)
Myself and a good friend of mine do a big ass bbq every yr lol

I got some nice Spanish Jamón Ibérico Ham at the National Fair. Made a big fat sandwich with some really nice Provolone, Balsamic, and Olive Oil.

There was a guy at the Fair selling a very nice selection of VERY high quality Spanish Olive Oil and Wine Vinegars (Merlot, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, etc.), the Ham, and some great Anchovies and Tuna. Samples of everything.
I bought a Merlot Vinegar that was outstanding. A wonderful EV Olive Oil, a Porcini Olive Oil (That's going to be nice on some pasta or spinach salad, etc.) And some Sardines. Really good prices too. He gave me even more of a discount because I told him I'd be back towards closing time, as I didn't want to lug it around the Fair. He said NOBODY ever comes back. hahaha.

Sunday frittata.
14572363_10210636456457427_2832920204437802228_n.jpg

This one is onion, potato, and peppered ham, topped with four big dollops of pesto before going in the oven.

~Boar

This one is onion, potato,
Stop right there, and you have what I grew up (survived) on. We called it Potatoes and Eggs Fritatta (onions too). Cooked in Olive Oil and butter.
We also did "Peppers and Eggs", with onions.
We got it for school lunches (follow the trail of olive oil).
We took it as lunch to the beach. We had it on car trips, etc. Trips on Amtrak (I still remember La Nonna taking a foil wrapped piece out of her purse for me.)
Funny thing, I still love it.