• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

I'm third gen American.
Are you Sicilian, Scap? Big influx from Palermo to Louisiana in the late 1800s. A lot branched out from there. It got pretty dicey in Louisiana for a while.

I got an aunt from Naples. I can't understand a word she says and neither could my mother. On the other hand we had a friend from Genoa who we had no problem understanding.

Doc

I had a Sicilian Aunt, by marriage. Couldn't understand a dang thing she said. :D

All my family speaks English. The only thing they held on to from the Old Country was some recipes. Otherwise, they completely assimilated and blended in to the American way.

All my family speaks English. The only thing they held on to from the Old Country was some recipes. Otherwise, they completely assimilated and blended in to the American way.
That's too bad. I knew folks like that. They wouldn't let their children learn the language. They spoke nothing but English. In my home we spoke half and half. My mother and father would speak Italian and we would speak English back.

Doc

We slowly lost it. My grandparents spoke Italian to each other, and to my mom and her siblings. My Mom was the most fluent as she is the oldest. Me and my siblings knew a lot, but mostly pleasantries, a lot of utilitarian type things, like "stir the sauce", etc., and some conversational. After Grandma passed on, my Mom lost a lot of it, from a conversational aspect, from no use. I can still cuss like a sailor, and can still ask how you are, your name, where's the bathroom, what time is it, etc. Damn shame.

Sounds like me and Spanish. The bane of my mom's existence I'm sure is that her sons aren't fluent in her native language. But I can successfully navigate through asking how you are and excusing myself.

My Dad is Croatian. Goes to a Croatian church in Manhattan every Sunday. Tried forever to teach me the language when I was a kid. Bought me books and everything. Being a stupid kid, I saw no use for it, half assed the lessons, and he got tired of wasting his time. Hello, how are you, goodnight, get me a beer. Some phrases that would make a sailor blush.

Then one night a buddy of mine is bartending. I'm underage so he got me in. I'm keeping a low profile at the corner of the bar since I shouldn't be there. Beautiful girl walks in, sits down next to me. We start chatting. I'm fairly certain I recognize her accent. Yup, she's Croatian. Unfortunately, my entire vocabulary arsenal was useless. Called my dad when she left, told him what happened. He couldn't stop laughing and then hung up on me.

My Dad is Croatian. Goes to a Croatian church in Manhattan every Sunday. Tried forever to teach me the language when I was a kid. Bought me books and everything. Being a stupid kid, I saw no use for it, half assed the lessons, and he got tired of wasting his time. Hello, how are you, goodnight, get me a beer. Some phrases that would make a sailor blush.

Then one night a buddy of mine is bartending. I'm underage so he got me in. I'm keeping a low profile at the corner of the bar since I shouldn't be there. Beautiful girl walks in, sits down next to me. We start chatting. I'm fairly certain I recognize her accent. Yup, she's Croatian. Unfortunately, my entire vocabulary arsenal was useless. Called my dad when she left, told him what happened. He couldn't stop laughing and then hung up on me.

Damn kids.

We did Shells and White Cheddar, and Chicken wings. Dang, my son's teen appetite just recently went up a notch.

Nope! But I mostly meant stuff like canned tuna, where it's ground up and stinks like hell lol

Agree 100% about the tuna. Which is why I was so surprised to see a guy I used to work with reaching for a can one day. Italian guy, right off the boat, he was our head butcher. One day he walks down the canned food aisle, grabs a can, and starts to eat it. In the couple months he was in the US, he seemed to have pretty good taste in food. I asked him how he didn't find it disgusting. Then he shows me the can. It was some Italian tuna we stocked. Looked completely different than the chicken of the sea stuff. Smelled 10x better too. I was kind of shocked. Even tasted some, and it wasn't bad.

I forget the brand, but we stocked a couple different kinds. And whenever he ate one, it was always a different brand. Maybe canned Italian tuna is different? Dan? Doc?

Maybe canned Italian tuna is different? Dan? Doc?
It can be, Tom. There is what we called "Red Tuna" from the Mediterranean that is considered much better. Also, my Nonna used to say they took more care canning it. Olive Oil may help a lot too.

eta: And, Nonna would only use Italian Tuna. I asked her why her Tuna salad was so much better. This was without mayo. Italian style with Shallot or red onion, vinegar, Olive Oil., etc.

While I'm here in this thread, this was anniversary dinner I made. Lobster risotto, made with homemade lobster stock.

wNMZpwo.jpg