• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Coronas

ckeller52

"All the Twitters. I know them."
I purchased a 25 count of these Bolovar Coronas (link to Pic's) The first one I smoked I didn't particularly like the flavor of it and it kicked my a$$. First time a smoke has made me light headed to the point I was not feeling good.

Subsequent smokes have not had the same effect on me but the taste still isn't there for me and with what I have read this is a highly rated cigar and brand.

So I got to thinking maybe they are fake? Anyone have an opinion on this?

Edit to add this link.

This is a link to the Bolivar Caps I can't tell right from wrong but maybe all ISOM's don't have triple caps. Looks like some NC's do have them.

Know your source. Nice photos of the cigars with good detail showing. As for this particular cigar initial lighting impression is a bit harsh, then a transition. It is a cigar that either you love or hate depending on how you react to the initial harshness. Good luck with them, my favorite from Bolivar is the Royal Corona.

Is there a triple cap on these or am I just not seeing it? Also, I don't remeber the red lines on the side of the band going through the gold coins at it appears they are here (but I may be wrong). I don't have a Boli here in front of me to compare to but just another observation with my limited knowledge.

Edited to add note on coins

I also don't see a triple cap in those photo's. The pictures look clear enough to show it if it was there, however the rest of the detail looks close enough. Intresting question.

Unfortunately I'm at the office right now. When I get back home this afternoon, I'll pull up some Bolis and bands and check mine out. Could someone comment on the suitability of the "EX" code for December 04 production? I know there can be some play from factory to factory. I've got boxes with "DA" for November 04 and "FD" from July 04 so it seems to be in the ballpark.

Wilkey

Have you had them before this box? It sounds as if you were expecting to like them based on the fact that they are a highly rated cigar (by someone). Maybe you just don't like them.

cigardawg said:
Have you had them before this box? It sounds as if you were expecting to like them based on the fact that they are a highly rated cigar (by someone). Maybe you just don't like them.
[snapback]278531[/snapback]​

Roger that. Bolis are a marca that seems to elicit the love 'em or hate 'em response more than some others. I, for one, love 'em. :D

PM any of the FOGs here with your source and they should be able to tell you if the the vendor is legit or not.

Embossing of the gold medals on the band seem a little light allowing the red lines to show through, but otherwise looks good. Can't tell from the pictures if the cigars have a triple cap and the head looks round, but that could be result of the its storage conditions. Cigardawg makes a great point though. The straight forward tabacco flavor profile from most Bolivar vitolas perhaps is just not to your liking. I'm also one who loves the flavor profile of the Bolivars.

PM me the source and I will tell you if you need to worry. As far as the flavor goes, they are 04's and could very well be in their sick period.

tone-ny said:
As for this particular cigar initial lighting impression is a bit harsh, then a transition. It is a cigar that either you love or hate depending on how you react to the initial harshness.
[snapback]278446[/snapback]​

This pretty much sums up my experience with the taste.

Shiba said:
Is there a triple cap on these or am I just not seeing it? Also, I don't remeber the red lines on the side of the band going through the gold coins at it appears they are here (but I may be wrong). I don't have a Boli here in front of me to compare to but just another observation with my limited knowledge.
[snapback]278450[/snapback]​

Nope, I don't see a triple cap either. I'll check more tonight but I didn't notice any with it when I put them in the humi.

I think the lines on the band are a an anomaly of the picture. I mean I don't doubt it's their printing process to lay the red lines all the way through the gold because the gold is a metallic and it's applied as a spot color over printing the red. To the naked eye in normal light you'd be hard pressed to see this.

cigardawg said:
I think your assessment is 100% correct at this point. :(

ckeller52 said:
cigardawg said:
Have you had them before this box?  It sounds as if you were expecting to like them based on the fact that they are a highly rated cigar (by someone).  Maybe you just don't like them.
I think your assessment is 100% correct at this point. :(
[snapback]278610[/snapback]​

If that is the case, then you should get involved in some box splits in the future before you spend your money on a full box that you may or may not like. Just a suggestion :)

Well,

FWIW, I compared the pictures of the bands to recent specimens and ones from 6-7 years ago and they look pretty good, But that in itself is not definitive. The depth of the emboss and the laydown of the gold varies quite a bit. The one thing that is sure is that in all cases, the gold overlays the red lines. Under some lighting conditions, the red is more visible and appears to be on top of the gold but is not.

If that is the case, then you should get involved in some box splits in the future before you spend your money on a full box that you may or may not like. Just a suggestion

That is a truly excellent suggestion. That is exactly what I did before I started buying boxes. Of course MY problem is that I like most everything!

Wombat said:
If that is the case, then you should get involved in some box splits in the future before you spend your money on a full box that you may or may not like. Just a suggestion 

That is a truly excellent suggestion. That is exactly what I did before I started buying boxes. Of course MY problem is that I like most everything!
[snapback]278760[/snapback]​

Box bought in November, joined CP 1-1-06.

Lesson learned. :D

Shiba said:
Is there a triple cap on these or am I just not seeing it?
[snapback]278450[/snapback]​

This is a link to the Bolivar Caps I can't tell right from wrong but maybe all ISOM's don't have triple caps. Looks like some NC's do have them.

The Master said:
PM me the source and I will tell you if you need to worry. As far as the flavor goes, they are 04's and could very well be in their sick period.
[snapback]278603[/snapback]​

This is good advice.... ;)

I'm no expert here, but my feeling is you have fakes, for the following reasons:

1) The cap looks wrong. That's how the cap on every fake cuban I've held looks like.

2) On the band, under the word "habana" the colouring looks wrong..this my be due to the digital cam, but it looks different than the boli's sitting in front of me.

3) This was the clincher for me, the stamp on the bottom of the box is not crisp nor clear, especially the word "Totalmente"...I just checked about half a dozen cuban boxes, and each one was very clean, crisp, bold not faded ink stamped in.

I hope I'm wrong, someone please prove me wrong...we can all learn lots from this thread.

2 more things:

1) The green + white republic of cuba sticker looks to be too bright white and green, it should look dull kinda like a US cash..this could be the digital cam though.

2) At foot of the cigar, the long filler looks really loose for a boli.