• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Casting Call: Tabacos de la Cordillera Cigars Taste Test

Ginseng

Banned
Fellow CP'ers, recently I was introduced to the Tabacos de la Cordillera website. At one level, they appear to be just another handmade boutique cigar. However, the website provides insight into a fascinating back story regarding the origins of the tobacco strains used in their cigars. You can read more about the background of their tobaccos here. In a nutshell, this vega is backed by someone with both the technical expertise and experience in the cigar industry to support an understanding of the processes involved in the production of Havana cigars.

Normally, I would be quite skeptical. Products like the Pinar 3000 series and A/R Robaina that advertise pre-embargo Cuban tobacco in their products peg my "BS-ometer" deep into the red zone. However, Tabacos de la Cordillera seek to revisit the tobaccos and cigars of old from a new perspective.

Naturally, my curiosity is piqued. I find myself wondering how the genetic legacy of Cuban tobacco strains from an era long gone might contribute to a premium cigar. How do the intricacies of the production process figure into the equation? What can a master blender do with this heirloom tobacco?

Well, I want to answer these questions and I'd like to find a couple of curious brothers of the leaf to join me in this endeavor. I will organize the taste test and collate the information. Here is my initial proposal:

5 total participants (myself, 2 picked by me, 2 from respondents to this thread)
5 or 6 cigars each representing the following blends, robustos

Cumbres de Puriscal Emerald - mild/medium bodied, sweet overtone
Cumbres de Puriscal Gold - mild/medium bodied, nutty cocoa, lightly earthy and tangy
Cumbres de Puriscal Silver - medium/full bodied, light-sweet with strong earthy overtones

Here's the nice part.
I've been in communication with the folks at Tabacos de la Cordillera and they have offered to provide all the cigars for this testing free of charge. :thumbs:

The idea is still forming so any suggestions would be welcomed. Please let me know what you think.

Wilkey

Edit to add list of invited reviewers! **********************************

In no particular order...
1. Ginseng
2. Blinded By Science
3. jus10
4. Mr. Peat
5. Smokelaw1

Thank you to all who offered to participate. Those who were not selected for this round will be offered first crack at the follow-up review of the Purisco lineup. These cigars will have all new wrappers and include the potent Negro line so I think you will enjoy smoking.

Edit to add photo of the cigar samplers **********************************

Gentlemen,
The cigars arrived today! Much to my chagrin, the 3 x 3 sampler packs made their trip from Costa Rica protected by nothing more than a few sheets of wrapping paper. Holy cow. No box. No padding. Just wrapping paper. As would be expected, there was a little damage. A few cigars were crunched on the foot but not horribly so. Still, I'm surprised that they were not reduced to cellophaned bags of tobacco scraps.
TabacoCordilleraSamplers01.jpg

In any case, I will rest them a day or two in the recovery cooler and them get them out to the reviewers to do their stuff. I will include a note with instructions in your package.

Wilkey

Wilkey,
Sounds intriguing. I'd love to be one of the testers. Website has some interesting reading. I look forward to hearing/seeing/taking part in the results.

Why not...I'm game.

Sounds like a great idea to me. I just cruised there website and it does look to be quite interesting. I would love to be involved in your tasting. I regularly keep journal entries of the cigars I smoke and think that tastings are great fun. If not chosen to participate, I will sit back and enjoys the reviews. Good Stuff Ginseng :D

Looks like the have a 9 cigar sampler comprised of:

3x Cumbres de PuriscalTM Robusto Gold (5" x 50)
3x Cumbres de PuriscalTM Robusto Silver (5" x 50)
3x Cumbres de PuriscalTM Robusto Emerald (5" x 50)

for $40.50

I think I'll pick it up to follow along with your experiment. I look forward to comparing your review to my experience.

For tasting, would it make sense to all smoke the same shape? Looking at the blends, which seem to be made up of the same tobaccos across a "line" regardless of shape, there could be sginificant variences between them. I think I will taste in the thinner shapes.
Sounds fun.

For tasting, would it make sense to all smoke the same shape? Looking at the blends, which seem to be made up of the same tobaccos across a "line" regardless of shape, there could be sginificant variences between them. I think I will taste in the thinner shapes.
Sounds fun.

You'll smoke a robusto and like it! How else will I follow along? :(

Sounds fun.

LOL
I'll leave the shape to wilkey to decide, I think.

Wilkey - I'd be very interested to participate in the reviews. I've written a few along the way and always like the introspection and analysis that penning a decent review brings to the smoking process.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Hmm..tempted to grab a few fivers of the thinner ringed styles. I'll definitely be interested to hear your findings, Wilkey! :thumbs:

Sounds fun.

LOL
I'll leave the shape to wilkey to decide, I think.

I think that's fair. :thumbs:

I really enjoyed the reviews for the Legend Series. I look forward to these, it gives me the opportunity to compare my thoughts, though they are fleeting, with what the really experieced smokers think.

Great response guys!

At this point, I am looking to bring in three of the Cumbres de Puriscal samplers so I will have 9 of each blend to hand out. I chose the robusto because more folks are likely to go for the thicker ring gauge cigar. My preference would have been the Corona but I'm willing to make this concession to popular taste. :D

The cigars will be shipping tomorrow via certified airmail direct from the factory in Costa Rica and I have been told it could take a few weeks. I will be back to update when they have arrived.

I will also be posting a simple guide that I'd like you to consider using when trying these cigars. Tabacos de la Cordillera will also be providing a tip sheet that I will include in your packages.

This is my first attempt at organizing a taste test and I hope you will all bear with me as we figure this out together. I will select my fellow testers in the next day or two.

Personally, I'm pretty psyched! :)

Wilkey

Cool. This is going to be fun to watch (or take part in). I really enjoyed reading the legends' taste test, and this promises to be good as well.
Thanks, Wilkey!

This sounds like an interesting test. I'm curious how you came across this company Wilkey? I may have to get a sampler to "play along at home" :D

This sounds like an interesting test. I'm curious how you came across this company Wilkey? I may have to get a sampler to "play along at home" :D

Excellent idea, Hound and NorCal!

I was provided a link to their site by Dr. Stogie Fresh in response to my post about analysis of Cuban tobaccos. In fact, The TdlC cigars have been reviewed in a number of outlets but I think the fine members of CigarPass can do a better job. :thumbs:

I would ask that those who are interested in being reviewers not seek out those reviews until they've smoked them for themselves. Although this will not be a blind taste test, I want to make sure these cigars start from a blank slate.

Wilkey

Ahh from Costa Rica huh? While I was down there I had a fresh one rolled for me while at the airport. I cant remember who it was buy, but definitely interesting smokes.