• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

$100 for a cigar?!?!?!?!?!

Devin, no one is saying they all are. Mo has the real deal as do others, but there are many more fakes than people know about.

Raff, he's a real prince huh????? LOL

I think the buying advice from Steve R is sound advice for someone new to Davidoffs or Dunhills or for that matter ANY aged cigar. But, I still disagree on the number issue. The real thing is available and not in such extremely limited numbers that real ones are impossible to find.

The prices for aged cigars are being set by a very limited number of online vendors who have them readily available for a few different reasons. The actual demand is not always what drives these prices through the roof. It is sometimes the perceived demand that is talked about on online bulletin boards, vendors websites or in print. Sure, there are cigars out there that are indeed limited in numbers and they should command higher prices. But, vendors read these message boards and they listen to what their customers are asking for and tailor their product, to meet that percieved demand. I can't count how many times I've seen a rave review of something and then hear from a ton of folks who turn around and order the cigars just on one persons experience.

A huge case in point is this new book by Min Ron Nee. There are a lot of cigars that he lists in his book that would never have been given a second thought to the average smoker. Now though, they are looking everywhere to find these things and it's not always the stuff that is truely hard to find. It's average stuff that the author of a book likes to smoke and has had good success with as far as aging.

You can bet that the major online dealers are doing everything they can to locate the stuff that Dr. Lee reviews in a favorable light. Another thing you can bet is that the prices will not be what they were before the book hit the general public.

Most of the major online dealers can be trusted for Daivdoffs and Dunhills. Harris mentions Mo, who 99 out of 100 times can backtrack whatever it is he is offering to the original source. Especially if it's come from a Christie's or Sotheby's auction. These auction houses have become very concise in their checking of the products they are selling.

Oh and yes, Raff is a real "prince". :sneaky:

Matt, Devin, would one of you please PM me the details on Raff. I am uninformed :( , which is probably no suprise!
:sign:

Mike, just another scumbag who was and one would assume, still is, trying to screw people. Just don't buy from anyone with that name and you're safe. :)

I get bummed when I buy $10 worth of dog rockets from cb much less a fake $100+ stogie. The 150 sells for 26 at my local shop. I have a $40 opus x "A" my girlfriend bought me and that is the most expensive cigar I have ever owned. I will smoke it on my honeymoon and maybe even throw away my leftovers that night

My income is mine. The hard work I put into earning what I earn was/is my hard work. What I do with my income that was/is generated through my hard work is my business.

All that BS said, I can't justify buying a $100 cigar. It has nothing to do with the poor, it has to do with the fact that $100 for a cigar pegs the little out-of-control-o-meter I have in my head. But hey, that's just me. To each his or her own. If my income doubled I might think differently.

Now $400 for a pair of shoes...I don't think twice about it. I wear em' every day for at least two years. If I could smoke a cigar for a year I would pay $100 for it :)

I'm with TonyBones and the capitalists on this one.

I'm of the same mindset. In the past, I would not think twice about paying my tailor $1500 a copy for custom fitted gaberdine (sp?) suits. (I know Gaberdine (sp?) may not be THE BEST, but it looks good on me). I go to Nordstrom's and buy Ferragamos for $350 each and don't even flinch. My wife would buy me Trafalger braces for $125 each and she'd come home with 5 of them! We didn't think too much about this type of spending becase of one reason..... These types of purchases helped us MAKE money. (AND we never even thought twice about giving to the Church, YMCA, Boy Scouts, Homeless Shelters, Retirement Homes, Youth Groups, Toys for Tots, etc....... We believe in good stewardship)

The business I was in (Hazardous Waste Management) had me (a regular type of dude) swimming with some heavy hitting sharks (guys that make high end six figures - and their signature could authorize 7 figures plus). And, because these purchases were business related, the were tax deductible. These purchases were in all actualilty 'investments' in our future (8 years of $250K+ NET Income).

Now.......... I have since 'retired' (yeah right - I'm 33) from chasing the big money (luckily banking and investing most of what we made) and am now teaching. I make a modest $50,000 per year salary plus benefits and...........now........would never even dream of wearing a rolex to school. Now we are locals at Wal-Mart (besides - I've got a BIG block of Wal-mart in my portfolio).

(Note. Read the book - Millionaire Next Door - man did I learn something)

We live in a BIG house in suburban Southern California, but have a small payment (benefits of jumping in during the buyers market of '97). Our vehicles (the newest being a '95) are paid for and we owe no revloving credit debt. We can buy whatever we want, but choose not to.

As for cigars.......Even though I have been smoking for quite a while now, I'm not sure I could even tell the difference between a bundle, box, premium, collector or vintage smoke.

I've always smoked LGC Wavell and for a change up would grab a few LGC Serie R #5s. Do I think these are the best smokes? Who cares. I like them. People I give them to like them. I mentioned cigar.com in my intro and have made a recent bundle purchase of their Cameroon wrappers and their Cuban Blends. Their damn good and only about $2 each.

I've never had an OPUS, Davidoff, Dunhill or any other high line cigar like that. And still, I do not feel I've missed out. Would I like to try them? Yes. But if it means spending $100 on a stick or spending $100 for my family on a night out of pizza and the movies........ I get more enjoyment with my family. But that's just me.

A buddy of mine collects guns (I've even got a few)..............I can't even imagine how much he's spent....... But, its his money.

As for you guys.........spend what you want and on what you want. That is what makes America..............America.

And don't be afraid to share with us newbies - I have an open mind.

M. Gipson :)

How much have you paid for a concert? sporting event? What was the weather like when you caught your biggest fish? Remember that one particular ski run? Golf shot on that vacation course?

Ask anyone here if they can remember a particularly good cigar or wine or chocolate mousse.

It's about memories of things. I believe that some of these people think that there are cigars out there of exceptional quality that can qualify for these prices. I can't wait until I justify $100 for a nice smoke. NOt everyday, (that would be cool though) but for an enjoyable experience it might just be worth it.

This is why I can't justify spending $1500 on a suit or $400 for shoes these things to me are mundane. They are not in my budget or desires or nearly practical in my world. This allows me to place money towards reaching for other memorable trips or experiences.

gawntrail said:
I'm with TonyBones and the capitalists on this one.

I'm of the same mindset.  In the past, I would not think twice about paying my tailor $1500 a copy for custom fitted gaberdine (sp?) suits.  (I know Gaberdine (sp?) may not be THE BEST, but it looks good on me).  I go to Nordstrom's and buy Ferragamos for $350 each and don't even flinch.  My wife would buy me Trafalger braces for $125 each and she'd come home with 5 of them!  We didn't think too much about this type of spending becase of one reason..... These types of purchases helped us MAKE money. (AND we never even thought twice about giving to the Church, YMCA, Boy Scouts, Homeless Shelters, Retirement Homes, Youth Groups, Toys for Tots, etc....... We believe in good stewardship)

The business I was in (Hazardous Waste Management) had me (a regular type of dude) swimming with some heavy hitting sharks (guys that make high end six figures - and their signature could authorize 7 figures plus).  And, because these purchases were business related, the were tax deductible.  These purchases were in all actualilty 'investments' in our future (8 years of $250K+ NET Income).

Now.......... I have since 'retired' (yeah right - I'm 33) from chasing the big money (luckily banking and investing most of what we made) and am now teaching.  I make a modest $50,000 per year salary plus benefits and...........now........would never even dream of wearing a rolex to school.  Now we are locals at Wal-Mart (besides - I've got a BIG block of Wal-mart in my portfolio).

(Note. Read the book - Millionaire Next Door - man did I learn something)

We live in a BIG house in suburban Southern California, but have a small payment (benefits of jumping in during the buyers market of '97).  Our vehicles (the newest being a '95) are paid for and we owe no revloving credit debt.  We can buy whatever we want, but choose not to.

As for cigars.......Even though I have been smoking for quite a while now, I'm not sure I could even tell the difference between a bundle, box, premium, collector or vintage smoke. 

I've always smoked LGC Wavell and for a change up would grab a few LGC Serie R #5s.  Do I think these are the best smokes?  Who cares.  I like them.  People I give them to like them.  I mentioned cigar.com in my intro and have made a recent bundle purchase of their Cameroon wrappers and their Cuban Blends.  Their damn good and only about $2 each.

I've never had an OPUS, Davidoff, Dunhill or any other high line cigar like that.  And still, I do not feel I've missed out.  Would I like to try them?  Yes.  But if it means spending $100 on a stick or spending $100 for my family on a night out of pizza and the movies........ I get more enjoyment with my family.  But that's just me.

A buddy of mine collects guns (I've even got a few)..............I can't even imagine how much he's spent....... But, its his money.

As for you guys.........spend what you want and on what you want.  That is what makes America..............America. 

And don't be afraid to share with us newbies - I have an open mind.

M. Gipson :)
Good Lord... ;) If this isn't a desperate plea to get into Leebo's elitist snob club, I don't know what is! :p

:sign:

gawntrail said:
.....spend what you want and on what you want. That is what makes America..............America.
Sometimes fewer words make a better point. :)

Most I ever spent on a cigar:

$38 for a Zino Platinum - Double Corona

(was in the twin cities for a job conferance and found a store that had them, also had won big at the weekly texas hold'em game the night before, covered a debt owed and enough to pay for the cigar and dinner out)

the second was for 2 Cohiba Double Corona EL's $26 ea. -

I mean who would not want to get the chance to try these out?
(FYI, they're not cheap, but def. was worth it.)

otherwise, am saving up all my cash for the "semester cigar".
the goal is to find a cigar that costs the same as a semester at school here,
then buy it and slack off for a semester.
:sign: :sign:

(only kidding on that, but have been thinking about getting a Davidoff Haut-Brion at some point [but would have to have a really really good reason to get it.] )

Good Lord... If this isn't a desperate plea to get into Leebo's elitist snob club, I don't know what is!

What? You don't like brand name dropping and senseless declarations of how much someone spent on this or that? ;)