• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

18 New Beers! : A Newbie's Adventure

2) Sam Adams Cherry Wheat - Combines the two things that should never be in a beer... fruit and wheat...
Plenty of good, world-class beers are made with wheat:
  • Three Floyds Gumballhead
  • Bells Oberon
  • Southern Tier HopSun
  • Troegs Dreamweaver
  • Smuttynose Wheat Wine
  • Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
  • Aventinus Weizenbock
In addition, there are plenty of excellent beers made with fruit as well:
  • Founders Blushing Monk
  • Dogfish Head Fort
  • Lindemans Framboise
  • Cantillon Saint Lamvinus
SO, I think we should let our friend try what he bought and make up his own mind on the merits of each particular beer. I'm sure that many of the more seasoned malthead/hopheads who have been hanging around this corner of CP for awhile had their own opinions on a handful of the beers smokintexas selected when this thread started, but none of us have tried to dissuade him from trying any of them. We all have different tastes, so while you and Greg may not think highly of the Sam Adams beer, he may in fact like it, so don't tell him he shouldn't before he tries it. This exercise will also give him an opportunity to learn a little more about different styles, expand his palate a bit, and develop a better appreciation of beer in general.

Part of spreading the word about something you're passionate about (beer, in this case) involves touting what you like and explaining why you like it without disparaging that which you may not care for. Look at it this way; breweries are a business first and foremost. If EVERYONE thought a particular product was "horrible" and didn't buy it, said breweries would likely stop producing it. The fact that smokintexas was able to buy all 18 of these beers means SOMEONE enjoys them enough and in large enough quantities to make producing them profitable.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

I was more or less being a smartass about throwing them out as I have no issue with people wanting to expand their beer taste and knowledge. I was just warning him Lol.

As for world class wheat and fruit beers, I personally would disagree. Theres only one maybe two wheat beers I can even mildy enjoy, and I haven't had a good fruited beer(And I have tried PLENTY). To each their own, but I applaud smokin for trying new stuff :)

btw... my favorite beer style are Oktoberfests, dry irish stouts and Belgian trappist ales.

If you like belgian trappist ales, have you tried Ommegang Three Philosophers? It is a belgian trippel with like 2% kriek (cherry lambic) mixed in.

Ive never actually heard of it. After some research though its not a "true" belgian trappist ale. As true trappist ales are brewed by Monks, in their respective Monastery. I'll have to look it up though.

The "ABSOLUTE BEST" Russian Imperial Stout I ever had the privilege to consume was micro brewed in Virginia Beach. It was awesome. But the micro brewery moved, (it wasn't really a micro brewery, it was a "you brew your own" type of store, but they also brewed inhouse brews) So I couldn't get it anymore and I was very very sad.

But I have to admit, Every Victory beer that I've ever tried has been very good. In fact I still have an old Victory Ale shirt.

The "STORM KING" is no exception. It really delivers a great dark malt taste that's not too bitter or sour. It's sweet and creamy and has a great finish.

If you like Imperial Stouts here are a couple more to try.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - This is an all around great Imperial Stout.

and

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout - This is a little on the bitter side, but it's still good. Samuel Smith also puts out an Oatmeal Stout that I like better though.

But...... the thing with the Imperial Stouts of course, like Barley Wine, is that they have high alcohol content. So after a pint or two your pretty toasted. :)

I used to brew at home and was a big beer guy when I was younger. So I'll be watching your future reviews. :)

Last but not Least;

I'm sure you already know this, but one of my favorite Beer Reviewers is Michael Jackson. His BEER HUNTER Books are famous. I think I might have one, If I find it in the attack it's yours.... but I'm not sure If I have it. I'll let you know. But anywho, pick his World Beer Guide book up if you get the chance.

Good review by the way. :)

P.S. My favorite Irish Stout is of course Guinness. It's better off the tap in Ireland, but it's still pretty darn good here in the States as well.

Dave

Alright, so I've been wanting to expand my beer knowledge, and I finally had the ability to purchase a few beers that I've never tried before. The intent is to do a review on each of the following 18 beers to see what I can taste, and what I prefer. This is going to be a huge learning experience, and I undoubtedly will add beers to the list as I continue to find them.

The following beers were purchased today (3/17/09) from World Market via the "Create your own Sixpack Sampler"

IMG_3278.jpg

Left to Right:

1) St. Pauli Girl Special Dark (Munich Dunkel Lager)
2) Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (Fruit/Vegetable Beer)
3) Stella Artois Leuven (Belgium Imported Light Lager)
4) Leinkenkugels Sunset Wheat (Witbier)
5) Leinkenkugels Honey Weiss (American Pale Wheat Ale)
6) Shiner Commemorator (Dopplebock)
7) Brooklyn Brown Ale (American Brown Ale)
8) Vicotry Hop Devil Ale (American IPA)
9) Anchor Steam Beer (California Common/Steam Beer)
10) Victory Storm King Stout (Russian Imperial Stout)
11) Paulaner Salvator Double Bock (Dopplebock)
12) Guiness Extra Stout (Irish Dry Stout)
13) Rahr & Sons Rarh's Red Amber Lager (American Amber/Red Lager)
14) Stone Mill Pale Ale (English Pale Ale)
15) Chang Beer (Thailand - American Adjunct Lager)
16) Sierra Nevada Stout
17) Ahita Jockland IPA (IPA)
18) Fire Rock Pale Ale (American Pale Ale)

I will start the reviews on Thursday of this week and go down the list as time permits. I am very excited about this adventure and cannot wait to see what the world of beer has to offer! :thumbs:

Edit: I realize I've gotten a bit ahead of myself. I need someone's advice who is somewhat relatively familiar with beer. As I drink and review each beer I am going to want/need somewhat of a rating system familiar to that of a cigar rating system. Being so new to beer I am not sure what to look out for, so if any of you FOGs have advice on a good way to keep this organized and clean it would be greatly appreciated!

Nice buys, my two favs. out of your lot hands down would be the Paulaner Salvator Dbl. Bock and Victory's SK. Some words of advice though for the Salvator, drink it slow and enjoy the flavors, a bud of mine purchased one on account of how much I liked mine, pounded it and was already feeling it :laugh:

Victory does have some great beers, since you liked the SK, I recommend the Baltic Thunder Baltic-style Porter, an unusual but fantastic find!

Near the end of May, my bud is graduating from Villanova and is having his party at Victory Brewing in Downington, you can bet that I will come home with a growler full of fresh SK! :love:

Nick

Thanks Dave, I'll definitely have to keep a lookout for the book! Also, thanks for the suggestions, I'll see if I can pick up a few bottles of the beers you mentioned and add them to the list to review. :thumbs:

I usually do most of my grocery shopping at Walmart.

There are a couple of higher end grocery stores near me that I could get great beer at. But....

well I'm getting a little old to drink beer on a regular bases...... I find it too filling now days. Plus, I spend most of my money on wine or whiskey.... and good wine/bourbon/scotch isn't cheep.

Anyway, so I just pick up what's cheaper and good at Walmart.

The beer I like the most in the summer when I'm hot and I just want something light, like after a ball game or mowing the grass.... is Amstel Light. It's your classic European Pilsener. Much like Grolsch or Pilsner Urquell. Or a Dutch or Canadian pilsener. But it's a little lighter, kind of like St. Pauli Girl.

But it's usually at a good price point and it's a light easy poor.

But besides Amstel Light there are four other beers that are always in my Frig. Now mind you.... I've brewed beer at home. I was a Beer Advocate/Fanatic for almost 10 years and I've drank some of the best beer that Britain and the Rest of Europe could offer and keep in mind the Beer in Europe is alot stronger then what we get in the States.

So I know a little something about beer. So... with that said, here are the 4 other beers I always have stocked because of price and quality.

1. Guinness.
2. Anchor Steam Liberty Ale ( I don't get this at Walmart )
3. leinenkugel's sunset wheat (awesome awesome awesome wheat beer, I can't say enough about this brew)
4. Believe it or not...... I'm a BIG fan of classic English Ale and I love Budweiser's "American Ale." I never thought I would buy a Budweiser until they came out with this Ale. It's a great Ale at a great price.

Dave

I must have got a skunked 6pack of Storm King because the stuff is way too bitter for me. I even put it up to age for damn near a year now and it still has that bitter overly hopped taste.

I'm loving Kona Pipeline Porter right now. Closest thing to Mackeson I can find since that seems to have disappeared lately.

Yeah it is bitter. All Russian Imperial Stouts are on the bitter finish side. Make no mistake, the Storm King is pretty strong stuff and not something I care for. But compared to what the Market brings, it's not as bitter as some others.

:) That's why I prefer a good Oatmeal or Irish Stout personally. Plus I don't like Beers that have high alcohol content.

Dave

The "STORM KING" is no exception. It really delivers a great dark malt taste that's not too bitter or sour. It's sweet and creamy and has a great finish.

If you like Imperial Stouts here are a couple more to try.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - This is an all around great Imperial Stout.

and

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout - This is a little on the bitter side, but it's still good. Samuel Smith also puts out an Oatmeal Stout that I like better though.

+1 on the SK and Old Rasputin. Another one from North Coast is Old #38, my favorite Irish Stout.

Stone 12th Anni is also an excellent stout you should try.

I dunno I think Ten Fidy is probably the best Stout I've ever had and it's a Russian Imperial Stout. It's not nearly as bitter as some other examples I've had like Storm King or Yeti Oak Aged.

Guess I'll stick to my Chocolate Stouts and Coffee Porters.

2) Sam Adams Cherry Wheat - Combines the two things that should never be in a beer... fruit and wheat...
Plenty of good, world-class beers are made with wheat:
  • Three Floyds Gumballhead
  • Bells Oberon
  • Southern Tier HopSun
  • Troegs Dreamweaver
  • Smuttynose Wheat Wine
  • Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
  • Aventinus Weizenbock
In addition, there are plenty of excellent beers made with fruit as well:
  • Founders Blushing Monk
  • Dogfish Head Fort
  • Lindemans Framboise
  • Cantillon Saint Lamvinus
SO, I think we should let our friend try what he bought and make up his own mind on the merits of each particular beer. I'm sure that many of the more seasoned malthead/hopheads who have been hanging around this corner of CP for awhile had their own opinions on a handful of the beers smokintexas selected when this thread started, but none of us have tried to dissuade him from trying any of them. We all have different tastes, so while you and Greg may not think highly of the Sam Adams beer, he may in fact like it, so don't tell him he shouldn't before he tries it. This exercise will also give him an opportunity to learn a little more about different styles, expand his palate a bit, and develop a better appreciation of beer in general.

Part of spreading the word about something you're passionate about (beer, in this case) involves touting what you like and explaining why you like it without disparaging that which you may not care for. Look at it this way; breweries are a business first and foremost. If EVERYONE thought a particular product was "horrible" and didn't buy it, said breweries would likely stop producing it. The fact that smokintexas was able to buy all 18 of these beers means SOMEONE enjoys them enough and in large enough quantities to make producing them profitable.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

I was more or less being a smartass about throwing them out as I have no issue with people wanting to expand their beer taste and knowledge. I was just warning him Lol.

As for world class wheat and fruit beers, I personally would disagree. Theres only one maybe two wheat beers I can even mildy enjoy, and I haven't had a good fruited beer(And I have tried PLENTY). To each their own, but I applaud smokin for trying new stuff :)

btw... my favorite beer style are Oktoberfests, dry irish stouts and Belgian trappist ales.

If you like belgian trappist ales, have you tried Ommegang Three Philosophers? It is a belgian trippel with like 2% kriek (cherry lambic) mixed in.

Ive never actually heard of it. After some research though its not a "true" belgian trappist ale. As true trappist ales are brewed by Monks, in their respective Monastery. I'll have to look it up though.

To be fair, I should've said belgian *style* but I never said it was a trappist. Ommegang Brewery is in NY i believe.

I am well versed in the story of the trappist breweries... there are only 7 of them.

Just a little update, I've finally kicked a nasty little cold I've had for the past two weeks so I am looking forward to testing out the new glassware that was gifted by reviewing a nice hitchhiker that came along for the ride with it. Stay tuned because tomorrow Tuesday I plan to review my third stout and am really looking forward to it!

Edit: Had a bit of a crazy evening so I'll be getting to this beer tomorrow.

Next Up: Samuel Adams Imperial Stout

A big THANK YOU goes out to Mike (MAS_Puros) for gifting me not only the glass to enjoy the beer in, but the beer as well! This is one tasty looking brew and am very excited to try it out. I decided to break open my box of A. Fuente 858 Maduros and smoke one while reviewing this beer.

IMG_3474.jpg

Appearance:
Poured the beer nice and slow but it still formed about a finger thick head. As I was pouring it I could tell this would be a thick beer as it almost looked like oil. The head that formed was caramel in color and left some very nice lacing so things have started off on the right foot.

Aroma: Again I'm a bit let down by the initial smells because I'm not picking up on much. It could be because I'm sitting outside and smoking a cigar, but all I'm really picking up on is a bit of a malty smell. As with the IS's that I've previously had you can detect some chocolate and coffee in the background but nothing that is overly obvious. I am unsure if I am setting my expectations too high for the aroma and this is what is letting me down, or it may just be because the beers that I've had thus far haven't had an overly strong aroma, either way I continue on.

First Sip/Taste: Boy, I hit the nail on the head when I thought this would be a thick beer. The first sip was smooth, thick, and very creamy. I let this brew hit room temperature before I partook to ensure that I could taste all of the elements but my first sip, while it was good, I couldn't really pick out the various tastes that I've previously been able to. As I continue on, and pay more attention, I am able to pick out the chocolate and caramel that I smelled initially. I'm also picking up on some fruity flavors as well, and something that I can only describe as molasses. The alcohol taste is much more apparent in this brew, and really hits your tongue pretty hard, it's almost overwhelming but luckily the other tastes and complexity make up for that so I keep trucking on.

Mouthfeel: Very thick, very oily, and very creamy, this is by far the thickest (IMO) of the beers that I've had thus far.

Drinkability/Overall Impression: All in all this is a pretty good brew. Going in I was kind of expecting something similar to Storm King Stout seeing as they are both Imperial Stouts, but my experience with this brew were pretty different. Some of the flavors were the same, but the consitancy and complexity between the two were very different. This complimented the A.F. 858 Maduro very well I think, because the chocolate tones in both really went well together. The main thing that threw me off was the "in your face" alcohol taste, but being the alcoholic I am I actually liked it, but could see how some would not. I would say that this isn't as complex as the SKS, but is still a very good beer in it's own right. Being as thick as it is it is definitely a sipping beer, and I honestly don't know if I could have more than 2 or 3 in one evening because this one is kind of weighing me down. Pretty darn good brew and I really have to send out a HUGE thank you to Mike (Mas_Puros) for the beer to try, and the glass to drink it in! This is definitely a beer to have in rotation and I am glad I had the opportunity to try it out.

All in All

Appearance: 8/10
Aroma: 6/10
Taste: 7/10
Mouthfeel: 8.5/10
Drinkability: 8/10

Overall:
7.5/10

nice review!
glad you enjoyed the brew. wait till you try the barleywine ;o)

I can't help but jump in on this topic... a good beer is a thing of wonder, and I've enjoyed a few of them from time to time. There's a great micro-brewery here in Winnipeg called Half Pints. They don't do much advertising locally since word of mouth is good enough here, but they are apparently quite well known in some international beer circles. They brew about 4 types of beer regularly, and about a dozen more seasonally. If you ever come across some of their brews in a local beer store, pick up a 6-pack.
Half Pints Brewing Co.
I tried a number of their beers on the brewery tour. Very tasty. Their Stir Stick Stout is quite a treat. Full of bitter chocolate and roasted coffee flavours. It'd probably pair nicely with a fuller bodied cigar.