• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1980's Davidoff Chateau Margeaux

jfields

Where did all my money go?
Name: Davidoff Chateau Margeaux
Origin: Cuba
Date: 1980's
Wrapper, Binder, and Filler: Cuban
MSRP: N/A

I had one of those Sunday evenings where everything just seems right. After a dinner of Rotisserie Chicken, Baby Red Potatoes, and Mixed Steamed Vegetables, I took my son for a nice ride on the ATV. We saw loads of wildlife, and just had one of those great father/son moments. One of those moments where you know they think there is no greater person on earth than Dad, and where I thought my heart would burst with pride/love.
I'm normally the type that can't bring myself to smoke some of the rarities that I have in my collection. I'd rather hoard them, or gift them it seems. Tonight I just had the urge to do something special after thinking how quickly my children are growing and how fast this life is passing by. If I don't smoke them, then some other guy will after I'm gone. Made me kind of wonder about the cigar I picked. It was from the early eighties after all. Did the previous owner pass away, his wife or children selling it off in a Christie's auction? Quite a long Journey from the moment it was rolled, until the point where I set fire to it tonight.

It had a really nice smell that was hard to describe......No cedar, or Barnyard, just a musty aroma that was not unpleasant at all. Construction was perfect, something you don't see these days in recent Cuban production. Not that recent cigars are bad, this is just different. The cap looked as if it had four or five seams when looking at it closely, and the wrapper appeared to not have been rolled, but rather made from one "tube" of tobacco without any seams. The pre-light was spot on with a taste that those of you that have experienced well aged vintage Cuban tobacco know what I'm talking about.
Davidoff001.jpg

Davidoff002.jpg

Davidoff003.jpg

Gone was the normal thought process of "If I smoke it now, the I can never get it back." I toasted the foot, then proceeded to take the first draws without any hesitation. I think this state of mind helped me to enjoy this moment way more than I ever imagined. This cigar produced loads of thick white smoke. The finish lingered forever on the palate with flavors I won't even try to pretend that I can describe all of. I will say that there were several, with a nice mild pepper, or Ginger being one of them that stayed with me the longest between draws. A very complex smoke with quite easily the most balance I have ever experienced in a cigar. This little beauty did not disappoint me in the least, as it would have been a shame to look so forward to something to have it be plugged or have burn issues.
Davidoff004.jpg

Davidoff006.jpg

Davidoff007.jpg

Davidoff.jpg

I always thought I'd save these special cigars for those milestones like Graduations, Children's weddings, or anniversaries. Today is a special day though. I'm alive, and my family is healthy, thriving, and full of love........A lucky man indeed to be able to have such an evening ending with a smoke like this one.

Sounds like a special evening, indeed. You certainly put an exclamation point to it with that smoke, John. Well done.

Very nice review, John. I like what you had to say about special occasions. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in what everyone else tells you is special (like those events you mentioned), but it's what's special to you that really counts. Nicely done.

Wow... great review! And the smoke looked pretty good also.

I can only imagine the delicate flavor and complexity that this smoke was all about. I think you chose the perfect time to enjoy it John. Well done & thanks for sharing! :thumbs:

mac

Excellent review with a nice background story.

Glad to see that you are celebrating life.

Brian

Thanks for sharing the experience with us! Smoking such a gem creates a special occasion, so there's no point in "waiting for the right moment". The problem is trying to figure out when is the right time to create a special occasion. Great review!

Great review John, it sounds like a great smoke and a superb way of capping off a great experience. As a father of two, I agree with you that sometimes the pedestrian moments shared with your kids are the ones that make life worth living. Good on you buddy.

Here's to a wonderful snapshot of time with you, your son, and an incredible cigar that will give you lasting memories of joy well into your golden years. Keep those beautiful days coming.. its what keeps us alive and wishing to thrive.

Amen.
Darren

That was a great read. The foot on that cigar looks perfect! I am happy that you found so much pleasure in that rare treat. There is something to be said about living now!

Great review! This really gives an excellent idea of the experience of one of these smokes.

Thanks for sharing the experience with us! Smoking such a gem creates a special occasion, so there's no point in "waiting for the right moment". The problem is trying to figure out when is the right time to create a special occasion. Great review!

Anytime when your heart still beats is special occasion enough. We get one life, and are not gifted with foreknowledge of our time of departure, so smoke them now and enjoy it.

Great review! Sounds like a wonderful moment on so many different levels.

And, dayum, that's the way to nub a cigar!!

Sounds to me like you did reach a milestone. Thanks for sharing the moment. BTW, the nub shot is a very cool photo.

Very Nice John! Just don't forget your damn yankee friend from Ohio! LOL! I hope to see you soon!

Thumbs up to a great smoke and an irreplaceable (spl LOL) father and son day!! Hope you have many more to come.

That was a very nice review jfields.

I am glad to share you experience with you because quite frankly, I am pretty sure I'll never see one of those in person.

Thank you.

Nice review John. Glad to see you enjoyed one of the finest Cuban's out there. Now your going to have to break into that 5 pack of No. 1s :whistling:

Bob