• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1999 Romeo Y Julieta Churchills...Fake?

bludog

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a box of RJ Churchills from a new (new to me) online retailer. A pretty large retailer, but one I've never used before. Anyway I have concerns about the authenticity of these cigars because of the following:

Here are some Pics: PICTURES

• They have a semi pressed boxed shape (not cylindrical) like my other Churchills
• The little “o” in the “H” of Churchill on the band. Three have this type of band.
• The black “stuff” all over the bands. I guess it is ink.

I feel good about the following:

• The brand on the bottom is burned in, not ink.
• The three-ring cap is present
• The look well constructed

When I voiced my concerns to the vendor, they assured me that due to poor QA practices back in the late 90’s, the stuff I’m seeing was common. They proclaimed that these were 100% authentic. They went on to offer to pay from me to ship them back for a full refund, but suggested that I smoke one first and if I wasn’t completely happy to then return the remaining 24 for a full refund.

As you can see the vendor is standing behind their product, which is why I endeavored to order from them in the first place. I don’t have anything this old in my humidor, so I was hoping you guys could help shed some light on whether or not you believe these to be fakes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bludog

I'm not an expert on ISOMs, but those look like the only one's I've seen. One thing people are going to tell you to do, first off, is to post an introduction in the intro section so we can learn a little bit about you. Welcome. :)

bludog, pm me the name of the vendor and hopefully I can put your mind at ease. The vendor is correct when talks about the terrible quality control back in the late 90's.

Well documented and presented for our Habanos FOGs to render an opinion. However, you should post an intro, fill in your profile, then put your feet up and have a smoke.

[quote name='5 O'Clock Somewhere' post='648091' date='Apr 9 2008, 02:39 AM']One thing people are going to tell you to do, first off, is to post an introduction in the intro section so we can learn a little bit about you. Welcome. :)[/quote]

Thanks...I'm on it

Listen to what The Master has to tell you. At least from the photos, nothing is superficially suspicious. Discoloration of metallic flake gold bands is not preferred IME because they are suggestive of overhumidification. It's hard to tell whether these are of that stripe or whether it is sloppy ink laydown.

Wilkey

Listen to what The Master has to tell you. At least from the photos, nothing is superficially suspicious. Discoloration of metallic flake gold bands is not preferred IME because they are suggestive of overhumidification. It's hard to tell whether these are of that stripe or whether it is sloppy ink laydown.

Wilkey

The Master hasn't had any dealings with this Vendor.

Everything looks fine from the pics. Wilkey is right about the discoloration resulting from high humidity, but I don't necessarily believe that means they were over-humidified. PM me the vendor if you'd like.

The only way to be 100% sure is to smoke one......

Wilkey

The Master hasn't had any dealings with this Vendor.
PM me, then.

Wilkey

• The little “o” in the “H” of Churchill on the band. Three have this type of band.

Doesn't look that bad. Usually in offset printing if there is a speck of dust on the plate it'll make a little bug like the 'o' you see.
Smoke one of the sticks and if they taste good, at least you got a box of good tasting cigars.

I smoke and have several aged RyJ churchills in my humidors and they look very similar to my boxes. If it helps, PM me your address and i'll send you a either a 96 or 98 churchill to compare with the ones you have at home for a comparison smoke.