• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

2021-08 Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios (unknown year or code)

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
This is a cigar that inspires awe. Both for its band, and also for its uniqueness. Not many maduros in the Cuban portfolio. I believe that this was their first production maduro, too. It is a big (by Cuban standards anyway) cigar. I think it is a 6x52 or maybe even a 54. Well, off to see what it is all about.

1/3: Tobacco and wood at the start. A half inch in and it shifts to clove and perhaps vanilla. This is a bit off the wall here but hear me out on this, the retrohale is caramelized black pepper. Like the taste you get when you bite just the tip of a charred piece of meat. The burnt part, before you get into the meaty part. As I'm ending the first third, the flavor has moved to beef and salt to compliment the black pepper crust. It is really like smoking a steak!

2/3: So the beef so far is constant. However the sharp cheese and mushroom and salt come and go, but the beef is always there.

3/3: Entering the final third, some red pepper appears. Salt then accompanies it. Then some rye toast. I tried the cut & purge method that Bill has shared with us and it helped but no major flavor changes resulted.
All in all, a great cigar. Thankyou whoever sent it to me!848B4CA1-F7B4-49BB-A524-382BBFA55D3C.jpeg

Nice review Jon. I agree with Brad I am now hungry!!!

Very nice review. And yes if I did not just eat I would be hungry

How was the draw? I've only smoked the Mad 5 Secretos, and the box I had was un-smokeable for a few years because the draw was too tight. I've never met a cigar before or since that had a draw like that (yes, they were legit). They opened up nicely after about three years or so, and then smoked incredibly. I haven't smoked any of the other (edit) Cohiba Maduro 5s, and am interested from others if they've had the same experience with fresh cigars in the line.

Last edited:
How was the draw? I've only smoked the Mad 5 Secretos, and the box I had was un-smokeable for a few years because the draw was too tight. I've never met a cigar before or since that had a draw like that (yes, they were legit). They opened up nicely after about three years or so, and then smoked incredibly. I haven't smoked any of the Cohiba Maduro 5s, and am interested from others if they've had the same experience with fresh cigars in the line.
Kann, sounds like you can just cut the mutherflipper with a knife and eat it! Be careful with the burnt tips, though! But then again, I call em all seegars, so what the puck do I know?!?! 1620694419267.png

How was the draw? I've only smoked the Mad 5 Secretos, and the box I had was un-smokeable for a few years because the draw was too tight. I've never met a cigar before or since that had a draw like that (yes, they were legit). They opened up nicely after about three years or so, and then smoked incredibly. I haven't smoked any of the Cohiba Maduro 5s, and am interested from others if they've had the same experience with fresh cigars in the line.
The draw was perfect. Even as I was putting it in to the dry box, the draw was loose enough where I contemplated smoking it after a day or so of rest. Pretty amazing given the propensity of Cubans to have a tight draw.

Any Cuban maduro will get much better with age. 2 to 3 years are the magic numbers. That’s when the flavors of chocolate, coffee, vanilla and cream become apparent.