• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

4 hygro's, 2 readings

psyktek

Frugal Old Fart!
I just got the 3 Caliber II's I'd ordered from Dee's. I let them warm up, and then stuck them in the new humi, thinking I'd see how they'd read against the hygro that I've been using for the past year.

To my horror, the 3 new ones are all within 1% of each other, but are 10% different from the old one. That one had the salt test done when I first got it, and it showed 75% exactly at that time. It's been in each of my humi's and coolers (in rotation) and has always shown between 65-70% with PG solution and climmax beads as the humidifying agents.

Could 3 hygro's be that far off? Or is it more likely that the original has somehow lost its calibration over time?

HALP!!!!! My head is spinning with all the permutations and possibilities!!! :0

I'd trust the new Calibers over the old one you tested a while ago. It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks is the correct one, though - you need to do the salt test right away either way. Do the test with the old one and at least one new one in the same container (if possible get all 4 hygros in it at once). If your cigars have gone a year in the wrong RH it's not like a few more days will hurt to make sure you figure out which hygo is correct before changing your humidification method if the new ones are correct. If your old one is the correct one then you wouldn't want to be fooling around with the RH now if it turned out you didn't have to.

yeah, my analog hygro gets tested every 5 mos. or so, just to make sure.

have two of the digital ones now, one is right, the other needs to be adjusted a little.

You said you let the humis warm up. Well temperature has a huge impact on meter readings. My humi read %66 solid in my house which is usually right at 70-73 degrees. When I put it in my locker in my cold berthing area the box read %63 solid. So a difference in 10 degress swung the meter pretty good. Same amount of moisture in the box though. Go figure.

Emo

Maybe I just don't understand how to use the climaxx beads. I put charged up credos back into the 3 coolerdors, along with the bagged 65% climaxx beads I converted to, and the (new) hygros are now reading 75% each. They were reading 60% with the beads alone.

The tiny sponge included with the bagged climaxx doesn't seem like enough to "prime the pump", but I thought that putting the beads into coolers that had consistently been reading around 70% would be enough to get them going. Bad decision on my part?

Any advice/ideas appreciated.