• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

$50 to spend on cigars....

Get in, Strap in, STFU and Don't Touch Nothin!
Hey all. I have a friend in my platoon that came to me with a question. His Uncle smokes cigars and he wants to buy him some for Christmas. Says he only wants to spend $50 or so. I ask him if he knows what he likes to smoke as far as brand, strength, vitola, etc. He has no clue. Only that he likes them. So he wants me to just give him some suggestions on any cigar/s that he can pick up for $50 and it still be a presentable gift. I'm very new to this so I thought I would ask for ya'lls help.

Since everything would be a guess on his uncle's taste, and most boxes of popular brands go for $80 and up, I would break the $50 into a 5'ver of $9-10 smokes. Maybe a couple of well known labels, Fuente sungrown or Hemingway. Don Pepin blue label or JJ Series. Throw in a couple of boutique brands as Tatuaje, Illusione, Viaje, Liga Privada and you have a nice sampler.

Check our vendor websites here and I'm sure they may even drop ship it to the person in the USA.

Good luck :thumbs: and let us know how this "collective" thread of inputs turns out in his buying choice.

Well I can't really recommend many cigar types, but may i suggest the 5 pack frenzy at famous-smoke.com. You could get about 15 quality stogies, as compared to only a few top notch stogies.

Get in touch with one of the vendors here. Ask them to put together a sampler in the price range you're looking for. I'm sure they'll be able to put together something nice.

Watch the Buy/Sell/Trade thread and pick up a fiver there. I don't think you'll beat it anywhere else.

I'd ask for any sampler of Tats, Illusione or La Flor (personally), but I think any sampler at this point is going to be good for him. I'm sure his Uncle has a favorite placed to buy from and as long as we're not talking a gas station or Acids here, it's going to be a learning experience. :)

ETA: If the Uncle is willing to contact one of the popular vendors from here and let them put together a $50 sampler, that'd be a guaranteed win. I used to call up Kevin from Silocigars.com out of Knoxville, TN area while in Afghanistan and tell him to just send me $X cigars. He never disappointed. Quite a few others around here I'd be comfortable doing that with, too. :)

Get in touch with one of the vendors here. Ask them to put together a sampler in the price range you're looking for. I'm sure they'll be able to put together something nice.

This would be my suggestion as well, Tom speaks wise words.

You can always check out JR Cigars weekly special:

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=weekly_specials

This week they are having a Trick or Treat special and it fits right there in your budget as well....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

You can always check out JR Cigars weekly special:

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=weekly_specials

This week they are having a Trick or Treat special and it fits right there in your budget as well....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

I have read some previous years reviews of the trick or treat special. Not to say that it is going to be a bad deal, but many people last year complained about not getting a vary good variety of stuff in their packages. Could be a great deal or it could end up being very disappointed.

If I were you, I would pick up a sampler from one of the vendors as others have said or getting a variety of nicer smokes. If he knows cigars, even if he doesn't like the ones you happen to get, he will at least recognize the names and appreciate the thought behind getting some high quality smokes.

x2

uptown_isy recently was told my budget and got me a great sampler.

x3. There are many good vendors who are valued members of this community. They take very good care of us.

Lots of good advice here...the only thing I would add is to make sure that the sampler is diverse by brand and line. You don't want to get just 5 different cigars from one manufacturer.

Outside of the vendors here on CP...if his uncle does not want to go through the hassle...I find that Famous Smoke Shop has a great variety of samplers to choose from.

If I had to pick out a sampler, here's what I would go with:

Readily Available:
La Riqueza No 4 (or any size really) - $6
Fuente Cuban Belicoso - $7
Padron 26 No 36 or 6 Maduro - $15
Oliva V Lancero - $6
ERDM Pyramid (Flor de Llaneza) - $7
Opus XXX - $9

A little harder to get:
Anejo Shark - $12
Tat Black - $10
858 SG - ??? tough to put a price on these
LFD Small Batch 1 - $15

Forbidden Fruit Dept:
VR Famoso
SCdlH - La Punta
Boli RC
RyJ Short Churchill
Monte 4
Punch Punch

YMMV........

Thanks for the help guys. This gives me some good information to help him with and myself ;) :whistling:

Half Full Monty: I see you're in Charlotte. I'll be down around that area next month once I'm home. Maybe we can get together and smoke a stick or two sometime :thumbs:

My vote is the CFCF Toast Across America set. $50 and has a good-looking presentation. Not to mention the money goes to a great cause. JMO.

Derek

Thanks for the help guys. This gives me some good information to help him with and myself ;) :whistling:

Half Full Monty: I see you're in Charlotte. I'll be down around that area next month once I'm home. Maybe we can get together and smoke a stick or two sometime :thumbs:

Be happy to.... There's a group of us that get together on Mondays or Thursdays every week, just drop me a line. I'm doing some traveling overseas for work nowadays, so let me know when you're around.

Jim

Sounds good HFM. I'll get with you sometime after I get home. Always looking for new BOTL to smoke with and soak up some knowledge from. :thumbs:

Everyone thanks again for your advice and I will let you all know what he decides to do.