• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

5x5 & Aging

Mrepp

To boldly troll where no Troll has trolled before
Hey guys,
I’m by no means an expert in isom’s so I thought I’d ask. I always see 5x5 packs for sale. Is there any disadvantage in this type of packaging over a cab or dress box? I recently found one of these Fiver 5er’s in a Cohiba siglo 3 RPO OCT 01 box code at a reasonable price but I wasn’t sure about the whole aging a 5 pack thing.

-Mark

If your referring to aging them in your humidor... I've aged 2 single cigars before... doesn't really matter as long as it's safe and out of harms way.

Just makes more sense if your going to age something, and by that I mean resist tempation to smoke it... that the payoff is greater then 5 sticks, or 2 for that matter.

If your referring to aging them in your humidor... I've aged 2 single cigars before... doesn't really matter as long as it's safe and out of harms way.

Just makes more sense if your going to age something, and by that I mean resist tempation to smoke it... that the payoff is greater then 5 sticks, or 2 for that matter.

Touché, I guess I was wondering more about the last 5 years on there lives spent in the 5 packs over say a dress box or cab.

Hey guys,
I’m by no means an expert in isom’s so I thought I’d ask. I always see 5x5 packs for sale. Is there any disadvantage in this type of packaging over a cab or dress box? I recently found one of these Fiver 5er’s in a Cohiba siglo 3 RPO OCT 01 box code at a reasonable price but I wasn’t sure about the whole aging a 5 pack thing.

-Mark

I was wondering about this myself.
Because they do come both in boxes of 25 and 5 packs.
Just wondering if the 5 packs ARE meant for immediate consumption.
(ie/ Better for Store Retail)

The veteran collectors I know store them in their original packaging.

And the fastidiously anal retentive collectors take them out for long term storage but keep them in the original cardboard for near term smoking or sharing. :D

Wilkey

5 packs are what i buy when i have spent an hour or two in an lcdh and cant find any boxes i want to get.

mostly i get the 5's of monty #4's...for a few reasons (1)i smoke marevas most of the time (2)they are available at EVERY lcdh (3)a nice round 20$ per 5pack makes the math easy.etc. etc.

the original intent was for these to be for immediate consumption but i have enough now that i have a 3 and 5 packs cooler...and some with a few years..."accidental aging" i suppose .

i keep them in the cardboard packs(i put an avery label on them with the month/year i got them(not their box age...for this you need to buy the whole 5x5)).

now to answer your question Mrepp...

november '03 five packs of monty#4's are smoking pretty darn good right now and seem to have aged rather well(in cardboard)...june'02 5packs of punch petit punch have done really well also.

sorry about the lonnngg answer to a simple question.

derrek :)

I have always removed cigars from the 5x5 packaging for aging, but, I am sure they would continue to age in the packs if stored properly.

If I buy smokes in 5x5's, I typically move them into boxes for long term storage and aging.

:cool: :)