• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

65% vs. 70% - Comparison

In my experience cigars smoke better and age better at 58-62 percent humidity (here in Florida) and 65-67 degrees temperature. When I lived up north I kept mine at 60-64 percent humidity. 70 percent humidity in my experience makes the cigars too wet and they have burn and smoke issues (cigars get bitter towards the end).

The finest tobacconist in London all use the numbers I use and have been doing so for a lot of years.

I agree with the Masters statement that here in FL, drier cigars are far better tasteing. I don't know about up north and out west since it is drier.

Emo

I always try to keep my cigars at 65% or lower. I have a tupperdor at 70% but only smoke cigars from the Humi at 65. I almost always have burn problems with cigars at 70% and they always get really bitter by the end.

I would agree with the lower humidity. I keep my 300ct between 65-68 RH. The cigars burn better and don't become harsh towards the end.

I agree with emo. To be sure, you need way more than a few weeks in the environment. However I can tell you now that the 65% are going to please you more than the 70s.

Nice little scientific experiment you have done here thanks for sharing it with us. With all the points noted by the others I would just like to add that my preference to taste, burn and storing proved to be most enjoyable towards the 65% RH as anything higher just wasn't as good.

My cooler stays right at 64% all the time, and my cigars are smoking great. I kept my desktop humi's at 70-71%, but since I switched to a cooler, I'm noticing a difference in how they burn. The draw seems to be a bit easier since I've stored them at a lower humidity.

I'm using distilled water in my 200 ct humidor. Humidity won't drop below 70% and is real constant. I'm not familiar with the 65% beads mentioned. Can somebody please elaborate?

Mercedesguy said:
I'm using distilled water in my 200 ct humidor. Humidity won't drop below 70% and is real constant. I'm not familiar with the 65% beads mentioned. Can somebody please elaborate?
[snapback]279811[/snapback]​

just do a search here on "beads" and youll have a days worth of reading material. ;)

I have found that between 65 and 70 is best for me- and really don`t freak out too much about a bit of fluctuation. I think it is time to call out the engineers, because I seriously doubt that 10 minutes after being lit the difference in 5% Rh is going to make a bit of difference. As soon as combustion has started the leaves within are vastly changed- some drier some wetter- but none at 65 or 70 Rh.

marcsheldon said:
Mercedesguy said:
I'm using distilled water in my 200 ct humidor.  Humidity won't drop below 70% and is real constant.  I'm not familiar with the 65% beads mentioned.  Can somebody please elaborate?
[snapback]279811[/snapback]​

just do a search here on "beads" and youll have a days worth of reading material. ;)
[snapback]279821[/snapback]​

Just stay away from any thread started by "Bill Clinton"

syrinx said:
I have found that between 65 and 70 is best for me- and really don`t freak out too much about a bit of fluctuation. I think it is time to call out the engineers, because I seriously doubt that 10 minutes after being lit the difference in 5% Rh is going to make a bit of difference. As soon as combustion has started the leaves within are vastly changed- some drier some wetter- but none at 65 or 70 Rh.
[snapback]280039[/snapback]​
Do you live in a dry climate? Where I smoke at all the time is my balcony the overlooks the intercoastal. The humidity level is alway %70. So when I smoke my cigars, I notice a huge difference between %65 and %70. Anything above %70 and I simply do not like the flavore produced.
Emo

I am a midwesterner, so I have anything from no humidity to 100%! but as far as the cigars go- i agree 70 is the upper limit. I would have to do blind tasting, as would anyone else for the flavour differences. I think a lot of the 70 suggestions are simply for storage and shipping- to keep wrapper supple and whatnot. What i was getting at was once you light a smoke and the moisture from the burning area is turned to steam, you draw that more moist air through the cigar. I would imagine a 65 is 80 by the time it is done. Or of course I might just need to start buying my liquor at the store.

I've noticed similar results. 70% adds spring to the touch of the cigars, but it also burns unevenly, slower, and the taste can be more acrid near the end.

I've preferred to keep my humidors in the 65-67% range (no higher). I'm a moderate to low frequency smoker and want to age them as gracefully as possible. I've grown quite a collection of ISOMs as well as domestics and found that smoking them in lower RH% causes a much more even burn, a more flavorful cigar, and one I don't have to relight as often.

Thanks to the helpful BOTL on this board, I've changed my "must be 70%RH" mindset.

Darren :)