• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

80% ?

Beefcube

beeficus cubeicus
My lil 75 count desktop I got from e-bay is running way up at 80%. I had the lil round black humidifer in it and it was high so I changed to a metal humidifer with a smaller sponge.
Still too high. I'm using the 50/50 solution from TampaHumidor.

Now, I expected to need more space so I got my tupperdor back up and with both humidifers in it its right at 70%. Its a good size tupper, will hold 120-150 cigars.

Do you think I'm getting a higher reading from moisture in the wood of the desktop ?
any thoughts?
anything?

Bueller. . . Bueller. . . Bueller

Yeah, could be. Move your cigars to the cooler and let the humidor dry out a day or two and then test it out.

Gotta get some beads in there. What's the ambient or outdoor RH there in Owings Mills?

Joxxy looks like things here are hanging at 79% outside, but up and down with alot of rain than hot days lately.

You may really want to consider getting some beads in your humidor. I'm not sure about the physics, but I'm not sure if 50/50 will drop humidity. You have the opposite problem from me, since my RH low, and I have trouble keeping it up. The humidity, that is.

I am sure that the beads do a damn good job for me. I've got some extra if you're interested. PM me if you want.

First time post here... I just got a humidor that houses about 75 smokes. I got two bundles of flor del todos for day to day smokes, and a 5 pack full flavor robusto sampler from cigarsinternational.com. I have had everything set for about 5 days now. I seasoned my humi with a damp sponge of distilled water, than wet the sponge good and put it on a plastic bag over night in the humi. Next day I wet the sides again and reloaded the sponge. next morning I took out the sponge, calibrated my analog hygrometer to 75% using salt and water for 8 hours and put it in my humi (right on the dot btw). then i put the meter back in the humi and closed it up... after two days my humi did not drop below 80%. I loaded it up with my smokes and it still has yet to drop below 80%. It's been about 2 days now.

1. Should i yank my stash and freeze them to prevent beetles?

2. Is there something i can do to get it down to 70%? Did i not wait long enough for it to drop before i put my sticks in?

Thanks for any help! This cigar newb could use it! :(

donstuprich said:
First time post here... I just got a humidor that houses about 75 smokes. I got two bundles of flor del todos for day to day smokes, and a 5 pack full flavor robusto sampler from cigarsinternational.com. I have had everything set for about 5 days now. I seasoned my humi with a damp sponge of distilled water, than wet the sponge good and put it on a plastic bag over night in the humi. Next day I wet the sides again and reloaded the sponge. next morning I took out the sponge, calibrated my analog hygrometer to 75% using salt and water for 8 hours and put it in my humi (right on the dot btw). then i put the meter back in the humi and closed it up... after two days my humi did not drop below 80%. I loaded it up with my smokes and it still has yet to drop below 80%. It's been about 2 days now.

1. Should i yank my stash and freeze them to prevent beetles?

2. Is there something i can do to get it down to 70%? Did i not wait long enough for it to drop before i put my sticks in?

Thanks for any help! This cigar newb could use it! :(
You don't really need to worry about "preventing" beetles. Also, the 80% won't hurt the cigars long term; short term, however, they will probably be unsmokable (literally... they will probably be too tight to smoke). If you are in a rush you might put the gars in a tupperware container and stick a fan in front of the open humidor for a while to dry it out. Should work, I've never heard of anyone doing it before (I just now thought of it) but I don't see a problem with it. If you're not in a rush to smoke them, just leave the cigars in the 'dor and "let it lie". It will come down in time and will keep your cigars flavorful and fresh as daisies, so to speak. ;)

Let the credo dry out a little ... sounds like they are way to moist

-P-

Thanks for the input.... sorry to thread jack by the way :p also what is the credo? Is that the spanish cedar lining?

donstuprich said:
Thanks for the input.... sorry to thread jack by the way :p also what is the credo? Is that the spanish cedar lining?
Credo is the black disk found in most humidors...or in easier terms the green sponge material that retains water often used by florists in floral arrangements... :D

blair said:
the 80% won't hurt the cigars long term;
I would not agree with the above statement. You will most likely develop mold long term keeping cigars this wet.

Most people prefer a 65-68% range. I prefer 63-65 myself. If you want to get away from cigars that run and constantly require relighting drop the humidity to the mid 60's.

#1 - Beefcube, most desktop units in use are not very airtite. Unless you have one of those $1200 blue things, then your 79% outside is getting inside and Beads are pretty much your only choice, and still might not solve the problem. I use 65% beads in mine and in the rainy season I still have some issues. The coolerdor on the otherhand seals much better, thus the lower RH.

#2 - donstuprich, you need to let that humi dry out, and for the record, you likely got the wood way way too wet when you wiped it down with a sponge. I made that same mistake with my first humi. I have found that if you get your "Puck" wetted to about 60% saturated with the 50/50 and then let er sit for a few days, it will eualize on it's own. As a great man once said... "Patience Grasshopper"

#3 - See below, and remember, the only good fungus grows in cow patties :p

Allofus123 said:
blair said:
I would not agree with the above statement. You will most likely develop mold long term keeping cigars this wet.

Most people prefer a 65-68% range. I prefer 63-65 myself. If you want to get away from cigars that run and constantly require relighting drop the humidity to the mid 60's.

Allofus123 said:
blair said:

Allofus is right. My wording was ambiguous. I didn't mean to say that it is ok to leave the humidity at 80% for a long term. I meant that the initial 80% humidity isn't a large concern if you allow it to "come down in time" and that the short-term 80% wont hurt the cigars in the long-term
dazeda.gif
. The 80% shouldn't be maintained, though. I travel a lot, and if I am going on a long trip I will often jack up the humidity in humidor so that it doesn't go under, while I am away. When I get back the humidity is usually right on target. I prefer the cigars to rest at high humidity, instead of low humidiy, in order to preserve flavor. ;)

Yeah the thing about moistening the inside of the humi I'm not so sure about. I did that with a thompson humidor - i got the only one that holds as 70, but when i first conditioned it with the water it stayed at 80 for a long time. If i had to do over I'd probably just put the humidifier in and the cigars and add a tiny bit of water or whatever you choose until it climbs to the right humidity, it's my opinion that it's easier to make wood wetter than drier!

well it seems it has dropped. i took the humi block out and it has stayed a nice and friendly 73. i check it about 4 times a day and if it drops below 68 or so i will throw the humi block back in there. thanks for the advice.

Personally, 73 is too high. I try to keep mine around 65-66. I know some FOGs here keep theirs lower then 65, but again it's all about personal perference :thumbs:

I like mine at 70%. I don't like my cigars to smoke too fast and/or hot. When my humidity gets to 65% I start having problems. I have a box of LGC Serie R's that draw like I'm sucking through a straw, when they sit for too long at 65%.

But as bfreebern said, it is truly a matter of preference and even a matter of the cigars that are being stored.

If the humidity is that high outside your humidor, take all of your humidification devices out of it until you get some beads. When you put the beads in the humidor, I would not add any water to them until your humidity level falls below 62%. Then add a little bit of water (less than half what the instructions recommend) until you see what happens. My experience with high external humidity is that you probably will not need to add any water to the beads until the external humidity drops.

Take care,

Bacchus