• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A bourbon newbie's opinion............

bfreebern

Yada, Yada, Yada.
Of the bottles that I've purchased so far, here are my ratings:

Weller Antique 107
Weller Special Reserve
Buffalo Trace
Four Roses Single Barrel
Elijah Craig Small Batch

How would any of you rate these? I have a family member, bringing me a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 yr and Russel's Reserve 10 yr, so I'm excited about that.

I love Buffalo Trace and I think that I have also had Weller 107 which I also really liked. Is the special reserve a green label? If so I preferred the 107 to that but it was still worth buying a bottle of seen in my neck of the woods. 4 Roses is good and I’m indifferent on Elijah. I have discovered that I prefer whetted bourbons and I think the Buffalo Trace and the Wellers are both wheated

I love Buffalo Trace and I think that I have also had Weller 107 which I also really liked. Is the special reserve a green label? If so I preferred the 107 to that but it was still worth buying a bottle of seen in my neck of the woods. 4 Roses is good and I’m indifferent on Elijah. I have discovered that I prefer whetted bourbons and I think the Buffalo Trace and the Wellers are both wheated

I'm the same so far, I prefer the wheated bourbons so far. Yes, the Special Reserve has a green label.

All of those are good in my book. It has been a while since I've had the Four Roses and Elijah Craig.

Four Roses Single Barrel is probably my favorite out of those. Eagle Rare is good, but a little too sweet for me. Russel's Reserve is very good.

I don't recall I've had any Weller but the rest of the list I've had & liked. Four Roses Single Barrel & Buffalo Trace more often & probably enjoyed more than the Elijah Craig, although I like their 12 year old quite a bit.

Been drinking mostly Woodford Reserve lately. Their Double Oaked is definitely worth the extra coin. Tastes like Blantons. Walking Stick is another top shelfer that's easy to love.

~Boar

I think I’d put those in the exact same order Brandon. But honestly the 107 is far superior to the rest.

There are many a bourbon you’ll place over the Special Reserve and under the 107. There are many days I put the 107 over the Weller 12....and that’s not an uncommon opinion.

107 is probably the best affordable bourbon over 100 proof. It’s fantastic.

I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the Eagle Rare and Russles 10. I know them both and know how I feel, but I’ll keep it to myself so as not to sway your thoughts in either direction.

*Edited to add: As I replied I changed my mind on one thing. I’d put the Four Roses SiB above the Buffalo Trace.

I think I’d put those in the exact same order Brandon. But honestly the 107 is far superior to the rest.

There are many a bourbon you’ll place over the Special Reserve and under the 107. There are many days I put the 107 over the Weller 12....and that’s not an uncommon opinion.

107 is probably the best affordable bourbon over 100 proof. It’s fantastic.

I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the Eagle Rare and Russles 10. I know them both and know how I feel, but I’ll keep it to myself so as not to sway your thoughts in either direction.

*Edited to add: As I replied I changed my mind on one thing. I’d put the Four Roses SiB above the Buffalo Trace.

Thanks buddy. I'll let you know!

You should try Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof, has a little bite for obvious reasons, 116.8 proof, but in the $50 price range its worth trying...