• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A cabinet, cooled humidor under construction.

handyman dave

Newbie - Still old but not dead yet!
This is a cabinet humidor I am building, It will have a Peltier cooling unit and circulating fans.
Here's the cabinet body, under construction.
gallery_6600_664_78104.jpg

I seem to accumulate large numbers of loose sticks and have never had enough drawers. I hope 10 will be enough for a while.
Here's a detail photo of one of the drawers.

gallery_6600_664_6343.jpg

The door has a curly maple center panel with padauk around it, all framed in a curly maple border.
Unfinished the rich grain of the maple doesn't show-up very well, but trust me, it will be striking.
I will do the top and sides of the case in a similar motif.

Here's the door and a closeup detail.
gallery_6600_664_47024.jpg

gallery_6600_664_47635.jpg

Today I fitted the Peltier, solid-state cooling unit to the back. I'll post more pictures as I progress a little more.

Very nice work! I suppose that's why your handle is aptly Handyman Dave.

That is a fantastic looking work in progress Dave! How much is the shipping charges going to be to South Carolina? :laugh:

Holy cow. That is a nice looking piece. I'm quite jealous of guys who can create such works with their hands.

Wilkey

Very nice work! I suppose that's why your handle is aptly Handyman Dave.
Thank you for your kind words. That's my company name and also what I do for a living, thus the handle.

That is a fantastic looking work in progress Dave! How much is the shipping charges going to be to South Carolina? :laugh:
I'm not sure... but if you are interested in one made to your specs let's talk. I have about $450 in materials and about $1000 in labor in it so far and that includes the cooling unit, thermostat and fans.
Let me get this one done first so you can see the overall quality of my work.

Holy cow. That is a nice looking piece. I'm quite jealous of guys who can create such works with their hands.

Wilkey
I wish I could do really nice work with my hands. :D Thankfully I have really nice tools in a really well equipped shop which makes work done to really close tolerances possible with a little effort.
I look forward to your comments when you see it completed with a really fine finish on it!

Nice work Dave! That's some pretty precise joinery & matching. You may be starting something here Dave. :thumbs:

Wow that is a great looking piece. Your sticks will have a wonderful new home.

Brandon

details on the peltier, please Dave. How much and where did you get it/them?

Yes, I'm interested in hearing about the details as well.

Great craftsmanship, by the way. ;)

Here's the sources and details for the Peltier, thermostat, and power supply:

www.goldmine-elec-products.com

search on Peltier and you will find:
G16657 Super Cooler! Peltier Heat Sink & Fan 1.00 $35.00

It takes 6 amps at 12 VDC so you need a large 12 VDC power supply which you can get from:

www.ituner.com

12v/8.5A AC-DC Power Adapter

and a 12VDC electronic thermostat with 1.5 degree hysteresis

www.apogeekits.com

Thermostat Module VM137 : 1 : 16.95

I also added 4 additional maglev fans inside the unit to spread around the cooling:

www.buyextras.comhttp://www.buyextras.com

40 x 40 x 20mm 16-01-005 Sunon DC 12V Magnetic Levitation Fan (8200 RPM) $5.49

I haven't assembled it all yet but it ought to work well if we only have to maintain 70 degrees F.

Hope this gives you what you need!

Blessings!
Dave

edited for poor formatting

Great job Dave. As a Woodworker I know how much time and lumber it takes. Save the Plans!

This is a cabinet humidor I am building, It will have a Peltier cooling unit and circulating fans.
Here's the cabinet body, under construction.
gallery_6600_664_78104.jpg

I seem to accumulate large numbers of loose sticks and have never had enough drawers. I hope 10 will be enough for a while.
Here's a detail photo of one of the drawers.

gallery_6600_664_6343.jpg

The door has a curly maple center panel with padauk around it, all framed in a curly maple border.
Unfinished the rich grain of the maple doesn't show-up very well, but trust me, it will be striking.
I will do the top and sides of the case in a similar motif.

Here's the door and a closeup detail.
gallery_6600_664_47024.jpg

gallery_6600_664_47635.jpg

Today I fitted the Peltier, solid-state cooling unit to the back. I'll post more pictures as I progress a little more.

Tight miter joints, that show excellent craftmanship.

Nice work Dave. Thanks for the info on the cooling unit I was also wondering about them.