• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A cigar before bed

DePixeler

I've read that nicotine is both a depressant and a stimulant. We smoke our cigars to relax, but sometimes get a buzz. This dual nature has me thinking. In Florida it's hot. The best time for a long relaxing smoke is late at night when it cools off somewhat and I can enjoy the patio. But is it gonna keep me from sleeping? Or, will it help?

For the sake of keeping it simple, let's just forget about that glass of Whiskey altogether...

Nicotine seems to affect everyone differently, however there is several other chemicals (I will spare you the specifics) in a cigar that are proven to cause insominia. The short answer is that the cigar will indeed speed up may of the systems in your body and will prevent you from going to sleep immediately, but again this will affect each person differently.

Jim

I doubt it will keep you up. Though, caffeine doesn't affect me - I can drink a Pepsi MAX and fall asleep no problem. I usually smoke in the evening/night as opposed to in the morning/afternoon. Give it a try and see if it affects you in an adverse way...

Heh, maybe a weak to moderate cigar will stimulate you alittle.

But, I can tell you from experience, a very strong cigar will have the exact opposite effect; ever have a really bad Nicotine Hit?!

The first thing I want to do when I get absolutely floored by a cigar is to pass out, and sleep that feeling off.
Heh, the first and only time I got completely hammered; I stumbled up the stairs to my bedroom, lurched over to my bed, and pretty much passed out just as soon as my head hit the pillow.

But, I can tell you from experience, a very strong cigar will have the exact opposite effect; ever have a really bad Nicotine Hit?!

The first thing I want to do when I get absolutely floored by a cigar is to pass out, and sleep that feeling off.
Heh, the first and only time I got completely hammered; I stumbled up the stairs to my bedroom, lurched over to my bed, and pretty much passed out just as soon as my head hit the pillow.

:0 ZOMFG! :0 K, that's like 7 POSTS in a week! You're becoming a little post-whore!! :sign: :p

In all seriousness, I've never had the experience of a cigar keeping me awake, stimulating me, or anything like that. If anything, a cigar relaxes me, and I fall asleep much easier and faster.

Just try it out for yourself, light up a nice Padron 1964, and don't overthink it. ;)

Does your boyfriend mind that you keep passing out?

The only thing a cigar before bed will do is put a crimp in your sex life.

Doc.

Doc.

And again, there he is with the straight truth.

I didn't think nicotine was a depressant, gonna do some googling on that. It definitely is a stimulant. Quite the amazing drug really, keeps you alert and relaxes you at the same time. No wonder it's so hard to quit.

Maybe the relaxing bit is the depressant??? I don't know, I've been a nicotine junkie a long time and I've never felt depressed after smoking.

I usually end most days with a cocktail and a cigar on the deck, in the cool of the evening, just before bed. Never had it keep me up; quite the converse, actually.

B.B.S.

I usually enjoy my cigars in the evening, have for a while. A few months ago I was unable to smoke for about 30 days ( bronchitis ) and when I started back up, it did cause me to have some trouble falling to sleep. It lasted about two weeks.

Seth

A cigar before bed, ..will it help me or hurt me?

Depends on whether you fall asleep before you finsh the cigar, could be down right hazardous!

I usually have no problem smoking right before bed. Actually smoking (normally) calms me down and I feel great, but once in a while I will smoke on a somewhat empty stomach and get sick to my stomach and not be able to sleep at all. Its hit and miss.

Most of my cigars are smoked later in the evening. Usually on a week end around 10PM when the rest of the family, at least the kids, are asleep. It never keeps me awake but I usually enjoy my cigar with a drink or two.

Doc.

Doc, if you'd like to smoke and still have a chance at the missus saying "yes" to your advances, take a shower, brush your teeth and tongue, then swish and gargle with some Therabreath. I get mine at Walgreen's, if they have those in your area. It really kicks the cigar breath.

This stuff really works that well. My wife has a nose to compete with a Beagle, and she says it works well.

QUOTE (Devil Doc @ Aug 6 2008, 06:56 AM) *

Doc.

Doc, if you'd like to smoke and still have a chance at the missus saying "yes" to your advances, take a shower, brush your teeth and tongue, then swish and gargle with some Therabreath. I get mine at Walgreen's, if they have those in your area. It really kicks the cigar breath.

This stuff really works that well. My wife has a nose to compete with a Beagle, and she says it works well.

You can also pull her jugular vein until she passes out and she won't complain about the smoke and you can have your way...

???

QUOTE (Devil Doc @ Aug 6 2008, 06:56 AM) *

Doc.

You can also pull her jugular vein until she passes out and she won't complain about the smoke and you can have your way...

???

Dude, you did not just post that!

shocked016.gif

Quite the amazing drug really, keeps you alert and relaxes you at the same time.

Tea is similar in that its a stimulate but also relaxes such that it doesn't cast off the same jittery feeling coffee or other caffeine drinks give to some people.

I second this. I tried this recently and was good to go with the little lady.