• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A cigar for the bar...

Stay the hell out of bars if you really want to quit cigarettes. Alcohol makes you weak, but you already knew that.

That's true.

It is best to lay off the sauce all together for the first little bit. She's tricky business drinking without smoking.

I'm sure glad I never got into cigarette smoking.

I've seen this before. Using cigars, even the tiniest of cigars, to help break away from cigarette smoking has never worked out well that I have seen. Here's why: Cigars are expensive by comparison. The little ones too.

The thing is, those who substitute cigars for cigarettes seem to begrudge the giant price bump over time. You get twenty smokes per pack/box of cigarettes and no cigar can compete with that price. Each time I've seen this substitution, the smoker never seems to slow down their smoking frequency enough to make this price and product adjustment 'worth their while'. Compare the cost of a pack of cigarettes vs the cost of a box of cigars (no matter how tiny the vitola). The sheer economics of it is slanted towards the cigarettes. The habit is slanted towards the cigarettes. It's a rough proposition.

To quit smoking cigarettes, one has just gotta quit smoking for the sheer habit of it. Cigar smoking is a hobby of enjoyment. A pricey hobby if done with frequency. Trading cigarettes for cigars (of any size) is a bank breaker over time. Cigars are best if enjoyed slowly for their own merits - not 'cause one is fiending for nicotine.

I'd say if one can drink without any 'need' for smoking, then one is on the path to enjoying cigar smoke on its own merits.

Good luck.
I hear what you are saying here and have given it some thought also. I'm not looking to substitute cigars for cigarettes all the time though. I haven't been smoking cigarettes for over a week now and have a one cigar a day, sometimes every other day. Then again I'm overseas where there is no alcohol. I know when I get stateside next month I'll be going out to the bar with the guys and it's natural to have a beer in one hand and cigarette in the other in that atmosphere. If I can substitute it in that atmosphere for a few hours then hopefully I'll be good. I know it sounds "weak", and truthfully it is, but who knows...maybe by the time I get there I will be able to drink without smoking. Time will tell.

.....But I know me and once I've been drinking and reach the point where I'm toasting with the guys, it will hit this point where I'm no longer operating in my own mind. LOL. At which point I will be unable to say no to a cigarette or anything else for that matter.
Doc is right and you know it. Why put yourself in a situation where you'll be "tested" if you're serious about quitting?

No dis, but cigars don't "prevent" cigarette smoking. They are as different as night and day. If you want to quit smoking, you have to QUIT SMOKING in environments where you know you'll have trouble.

The best of luck - B.B.S.

Gee, I wonder who said that :whistling:

With the new tax of 40 cents per cigar the little hand rolls are going to become hard to find. If you had enough will power to stop smoking then you should have enough to know when to leave the bar.

I once read on here somewhere:
Any cigar is a good cigar in times of no cigar.

If you want to quit smoking then you'll never smoke another cig. It shouldnt matter where you are or what your doing. Dont stop having fun with your friends just because you quit smoking. Whenever you have a craving just remind yourself why you quit.

Doc, Blindedbyscience, sporkd2, you are all correct. It ultimately boils down to me. On a plus Anthony just hooked me up with a little valuable piece of information. When I move to NY there is no smoking in bars or restaraunts period. So my road will be easier than expected.

Montecristo Joyitas...that would be my suggestion. Very similar in size to a cigarette. Brief enough that you won't be too far behind your cigarette smoking friends if you need to step out for one, and get back inside to nurse your beer.