• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A few cigar photos

Nice pictures man. I wish I could take pics like that, the ones I take look like crap all the time. :(
Keep posting them here.

ps. Do you ever go to Rio de Janeiro? :whistling:

Nice pictures man. I wish I could take pics like that, the ones I take look like crap all the time. :(
Keep posting them here.

I've been to many places in Brazil, but never Rio. I've been to Sao Paulo, Santos, Fortaleza, and Manaus. Hopefully next year I'll get to Rio or some of the other cities. Just for fun, I made a map of all the places I've been to so far. Blue are countries, red are state or equivalents.

Nice photos. I'm a fan of photography myself so I may have to bring out the ol Canon and take a few shots haha. I'd like to see more

Keep posting them here.

I've been to many places in Brazil, but never Rio. I've been to Sao Paulo, Santos, Fortaleza, and Manaus. Hopefully next year I'll get to Rio or some of the other cities. Just for fun, I made a map of all the places I've been to so far. Blue are countries, red are state or equivalents.

Next year when you go to Rio, instead of using tables to put the cigars on, go to the beach and find some brazilian girls tanning
and put the cigars on them and take the pictures.... thank you in advance ;) :p

Smoked this one tonight
torano2.jpg

I desaturated the table only. The original was ok, but because the table was a shade of brown as well it clashed with the cigar too much.

I desaturated the table only. The original was ok, but because the table was a shade of brown as well it clashed with the cigar too much.

Very nice pictures.

With me being a very, very basic Photoshop user... can you explain desaturating an element of a photograph?

Did you vignette the photo during processing, or was that an effect of the lens?

Very nice pictures.

With me being a very, very basic Photoshop user... can you explain desaturating an element of a photograph?

Did you vignette the photo during processing, or was that an effect of the lens?

I honestly don't remember if I added a vignette (I usually do in my pictures, I like the style). If I did, it was very slight.

I use Lightroom for most of my post work, and only photoshop (actually, I'm a GIMP user) for more advanced edits.

Simple desaturation can be done by going to Colors > Desaturate (I'm sure it's pretty similar in Photoshop, just different menu name, etc.). There are a few different options to change it to greyscale, choose the one that suits you. Another method is to use the channel mixed, but that's a bit more complicated and a google tutorial could explain it better than I could. Below I'll show you roughly what I did with GIMP, if you use Photoshop you can find similar tools.
23466357.png
-->
19033082.png

Now, to make the selective color, you basically have 2 layers: one color and one greyscale. The greyscale layer is on top, and the color one is on the bottom. You then want to erase from the greyscale layer the parts you want the color to show through.

Duplicate the color photo: Layer > Duplicate Layer
64080932.png

Add an alpha channel to the greyscale layer (so the top layer is transparent and the bottom will show through when you erase from the top). From the Layer menu > Add Alpha Channel (this may or may not be a step with photoshop, but this is how I do it in GIMP)
63097538.png

Erase from the top image
25584764.png

Hope this helps...

I honestly don't remember if I added a vignette (I usually do in my pictures, I like the style). If I did, it was very slight.

I use Lightroom for most of my post work, and only photoshop (actually, I'm a GIMP user) for more advanced edits.

Simple desaturation can be done by going to Colors > Desaturate (I'm sure it's pretty similar in Photoshop, just different menu name, etc.). There are a few different options to change it to greyscale, choose the one that suits you. Another method is to use the channel mixed, but that's a bit more complicated and a google tutorial could explain it better than I could. Below I'll show you roughly what I did with GIMP, if you use Photoshop you can find similar tools.
-->

Now, to make the selective color, you basically have 2 layers: one color and one greyscale. The greyscale layer is on top, and the color one is on the bottom. You then want to erase from the greyscale layer the parts you want the color to show through.

Duplicate the color photo: Layer > Duplicate Layer

Add an alpha channel to the greyscale layer (so the top layer is transparent and the bottom will show through when you erase from the top). From the Layer menu > Add Alpha Channel (this may or may not be a step with photoshop, but this is how I do it in GIMP)

Erase from the top image

Hope this helps...

Thanks. I know I've done the b&w layer duplication and erasing, but not much else beyond that and adjusting levels, brightness etc.

Maybe I will look into the program you use for a more consumer user friendly interface.

Edit: Fix double post

I highly recommend Lightroom. It really makes your workflow easier. Instead of navigating menus in Photoshop you just change sliders

I highly recommend Lightroom. It really makes your workflow easier. Instead of navigating menus in Photoshop you just change sliders

I think the hardest thing is separating the layers, unless your magnetic lasso-fu is very strong.

Very cool, like the Torano pop-out. I've tried a number of different photo editing software and have stuck with Paint.net as it's just what I got used to. I love taking pictures; however I don't know a great deal about aperture, ISO, etc. Maybe one of these days I'll sit down and figure it out. :D

I think the hardest thing is separating the layers, unless your magnetic lasso-fu is very strong.
I never use that. The only thing I use layers for is this selective coloring.

. I love taking pictures; however I don't know a great deal about aperture, ISO, etc. Maybe one of these days I'll sit down and figure it out. :D

It's just practice and taking lots and lots of photos.;)

I think I'm going to buy Photoshop now.
But wish you recommend getting for a first timer?
The CS5, Lightroom 3 or Elements 9?
TIA.

I can't recommend Photoshop CS5 / Elements because

1) I don't use them
2) it's hella expensive, unless you download it *wink wink*
3) Most of the tools in Photoshop you'll never use

GIMP is free and has all of the basic funtionality that PS does. I would say go with Lightroom. Everything is intuitive and fast. I can only recommend that you try before you buy.