• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Good Beginner Cigar?

A nice inexpensive mild cigar is Flor De Olvia Grand Cameroon...runs $1.50 to $2.40 per stick..they have a Maduro for a slight step up in. I was introduced to cigars with this line.

Rnccen

cvmfour said:
What are some good cigars ya'll would reccomend for a beginner?
A fresh Opus X xXx along with a cup of espresso -- they pair well, and would be an excellent choice for a neophyte smoker.

Tony Bones said:
Cubans are illegal in the US. You are correct. Stick around here long enough, don't be a big pecker head, and you might be surprised what comes your way ;)
I'm usually an easy fella to get along with. I'll be around soaking up the information as I find it.

LMAO @ the ISOM jokes!!! Just trying to clarify a few things. :p

Try some Don Lino's. These are a great mild-med creamy smoke made by Leon Jimenez and cheaper than the regular Jimenez. This was my first cigar and still remain one of my favorite mild smokes!

PaulMac said:
While TB is correct you gotta not be a peckerhead to see what comes yer way, it also helps to have yer name and address in yer profile for the wondrous phenomena known as bombs....you may not be know enough for isom bombs, but some may wanna help you on yer way with domestics as well :)

PaulMac
How exactly do I go about putting my name in my profile? I clicked on your profile (looks like a security camera) and your address isn't in there.

cvmfour said:
PaulMac said:
While TB is correct you gotta not be a peckerhead to see what comes yer way, it also helps to have yer name and address in yer profile for the wondrous phenomena known as bombs....you may not be know enough for isom bombs, but some may wanna help you on yer way with domestics as well :)

PaulMac
How exactly do I go about putting my name in my profile? I clicked on your profile (looks like a security camera) and your address isn't in there.
Click on My Controls and then go to the Presonal Profile section on the left.

emo

I have my address in my profile also; but I think I have been a BIT of a peckerhead this week.

HONESTLY Moki I was kidding about the Mac!! :thumbs:

Matt

Some that I tried as I was starting last year and I found to my liking...

Don Tomas (4 pack sampler for 12.95 Here)

CAO Brazilia (stronger though - so you may wait a bit)

DE Natural Line (I'm one of the few that likes DE - esp the Natural and LVH-EY)
esp:
LVH-EY - Platinum Star
LVH - Belicoso D
LVH - Cedar Chateau 1, 2, or 3

Nat - China 5, Blackout, Leche, Mixed Elements and (fav) High Monk(Subculture Nat).

The thing about Drew Estate is that they are all quite different. The flavoring in Acid is different than the botanicals in Natural and those are the only 2 "infused" lines. LVH and LVH-EY are straight up good. Also, a DE stogie is usally good as an every so often smoke rather thanan every day smoke.

-K-

A great mild cigar is the Nat Sherman Host Selection. You can find them in 5 packs thru CI and they have 'em on CB too. Well worth the few bucks! :p

moki said:
cvmfour said:
What are some good cigars ya'll would reccomend for a beginner?
A fresh Opus X xXx along with a cup of espresso -- they pair well, and would be an excellent choice for a neophyte smoker.
Nah. Thats lightweight stuff. How about a Joya De Nicaragua Antonio?

A maduro wrapper is darker and is generelly sweeter tasting. Most maduro wrapped cigars are indeed stronger than most natural or EMS wrapped cigars.

LucasBuck has a great suggestion for you and that would be an AVO maduro ;)

I'm a big maduro fan as I find the wrappers much "tastier" that natural leaf wrapped cigars.

I think a great mild cigar for a beginner are the Maxim's de Paris they sell on cbid. For about $1.50 a stick they are hard to beat. After you're done with them you can move up to something a bit more complex quite easily. JMHO.

Treamayne said:
DE Natural Line (I'm one of the few that likes DE - esp the Natural and LVH-EY)
esp:
LVH-EY - Platinum Star
LVH - Belicoso D
LVH - Cedar Chateau 1, 2, or 3

Nat - China 5, Blackout, Leche, Mixed Elements and (fav) High Monk(Subculture Nat).

The thing about Drew Estate is that they are all quite different. The flavoring in Acid is different than the botanicals in Natural and those are the only 2 "infused" lines. LVH and LVH-EY are straight up good. Also, a DE stogie is usally good as an every so often smoke rather thanan every day smoke.

-K-
I like the DE Outdoorsman's Reserve torpedoes I have. Either I or cbid had em a little too moist though so they are on timeout for awhile. I have a 5er LVH Cedar Chateau #2 that I have been itching to try; I think I might light one up on Monday. I bid clear up to $2.50 a stick on a 3 pack of those LVH-EY and still lost so I am going to wait until they have been out longer or my local shopp has singles. Right now the only DE there is the Natural line and I don't want to drop $8 on a love/hate cigar like they tend to be.

Matt

Well I guess in life majority rules. So, I'm gonna go to my smoke shop sometime this week and buy the following:

Arturo Fuente 858 Natural

AVO Maduro

Romeo y Julieta Belicoso or Bully(less expensive)

This all depends if the guy or gal actually has them in stock. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. You've really helped me learn a lot about cigars in the short time span I've been here.

P.S. - I'm gonna light one up on my b-day. :thumbs: Can't decide which yet.

I agree with JWJ, the Don Lino's are mild and creamy!
Note to Jim: When I was up in Tampa (YBOR) I picked up some Lino's!

My all time favorite cheapies (but quality) is anything made by Oliva. The grand Cameroon is about 50$ for a box. If thats too steep, you can buy Flor De Oliva bundles for about 30-40$ a bundle. And of course for the conniseur and the extravagant; Oliva "Bolds".

I have the Perdomo bug though as we speak. CBID (The Devil) has Perdomo 'overuns' for about 25$ per bundle. They are excellent!

Scott makes a good point, those Perdomo bundles or "misktakes" or whatever they are calling them this week are great inexpensive cigars :thumbs:

We'll get ya smoking April, 2004 Quinteros next :p :D :sign: