• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Great Cigar, On A Sad Occasion.

gunsandcigars88

Well yesterday was the day that I have been hoping would not come, but knew it was not going to be avoided. My parents had to turn the keys over to the new homeowners that purchased the house I grew up in. I was having a hard time with it anyway, but it didn't really hit me till I was backing out of the drive for the last time. All of the good memories that were made at that home. Though the new owners did tell me I was free to come by and borrow the porch and deck to smoke cigars (just make sure to bring an extra one), or come to go fishing at the pond. :laugh: On the way out there to turn over the keys I lit up a good stogie for the bad occasion. A 2001 Cohiba Pyramide EL (compliments of Swissy :thumbs: ) this cigar was fantastic from start to finish. Perfectly timed cigar as well. I lit it when I pulled out of the driveway, and finished it right when I pulled back in the drive at the parents new place. I was reminded of myself when we moved in by the new owners little boy who was running all over that place as excited as he could be. I will never forget that home, never....
B

No one can ever take away the memories. Best of luck to you and the family as this new leg of the journey begins.

Bummer. At least you had a good smoke. I had a hard time when we had to sell my Grandma's house. I walked around that last weekend and took all kinds of pictures of the things I liked. Ah well, life does move on.

I had the same experience about ten years ago. Every once in a while I will take a drive past the old house just to say hi.

That is a sad occasion that I know all too much about. It will get better and you will never forget the great times you had in that house.

Seeing the home you grew up in empty is a very strange feeling, I've gone through it as well although at a younger age. At least you had a great smoke, and it sounds like the new owners are good people. Keep your chin up Brandon!

We moved so much for my father's career that I can only imagine, and that . . . well, not really.

But there's a house in Oregon, and another in Louisiana, that I remember vividly. Not sure what I'd think to see them again . . . but I'm sure a good stogie would help!

~Boar

I am thankful that I still have the memories. As well I am sure that every now and then I will drive just to take a loot at the place, and make sure they are keeping it right.
B

After my Dad passed away, my Mom decided the house which was our childhood home was more than she could deal with. It's been nine years, but I still get a little choked up at the pics I took.

My oldest sister and I and my oldest son moved Mom out. We spent four bittersweet days of moving Mom and Dad's stuff out and you can imagine the emotions and memories that brought on. My grandparents celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary there. My Dad passed away in that house. The four of us kids grew up there. It was the "rock", the place that would always be there. The last morning we were at the house, I got up early and took a bunch of pics of the house. The pencil marks on the woodwork that Dad put there when we were growing up. His writing on the walls of the pumphouse reminding him how to burp the holding tank. Stuff like that.....late that night, with the final load in my truck, my son and I sat in the back yard, looking out over the field behind the house and shared a great smoke and a couple of whiskeys before heading out the driveway for the very last time. I haven't been by since, as from what I've heard the new owners basically trashed the place and it's not my childhood home, anymore.

What can't be taken away are the memories of the house. The Christmas mornings, the Thanksgiving dinners...stuff like that. My Mom perhaps said it best; a house is just a house but what makes a family is something that transcends a location. Since then, our home has become the family house for all the holidays. I'll miss the good times at the old house, but honestly as time passes and life goes on, I miss the house less and less and cherish the new memories we're making now more and more.

My thoughts and best wishes your way - been there, done that. Life does, in fact, go on.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

After Mom passed away, My Brother and I sold our childhood home to my best friend, I still get to visit anytime I want, but the house has changed over the years and even tho I can still go to the hall closet and see where the height marks on the door, it is no longer Mom's house. I don't remember when it happened, but it took a while. A house isn't a home until it's full of a familys love.

I am thankful that I still have the memories. As well I am sure that every now and then I will drive just to take a loot at the place, and make sure they are keeping it right.
B

I drive by my old house I grew up in all the time. So many memories there, but you always seem to make more.

My parents moved from our childhood home about 6 years ago and my brother and sister took it a lot harder than I did. Fortunately it was not a sad reason for them to be selling the home and I always thought that it is the people within that house that make the memories and make it a real home.

During holidays we go to their new home and while it is different, the people are thankfully the same and we even have a few more (my wife,sisters boyfriend, brothers girl of the month) joining us which is all I really need.

Memories are gold. I was also sad on that eventful day but I still can remember all the good times.

Glad you enjoyed the smoke... never lived in a house long enough to get attached to it until now, and I can't wait to leave it for my upcoming house in my fishing town! But sometimes a good cigar while rethinking fond memories will ease the sadness.

Back