• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A little project I'm working on...

Would this be geared for established members of CP and/or other boards? How would you filter the past asshats & banned members?

Doesn't matter, it's open to anyone. You filter the asshats the same way you do it on eBay and other such sites. Banning people who rip others off, and letting users rate their transactions with said person for a dynamic "reputation"

Can it be abused? Yes. But there are asshats and scumbags on every cigar board, it's just human nature. I view it as a way to get a seller in touch with a buyer, just like a classified ad in a newspaper.

I just signed up...looks like a fantastic idea!

As far as asshats...you could start some sort of insurance system. Buyer pays an optional percentage of the purchase price to you in exchange for insurance...maybe 5%. Could be a good source of revenue for site maintenance.

BTW...I'm not a lawyer, but I would strongly encourage some sort of user agreement during signup to make sure that users are fully aware that your site is simply a forum to facilitate buys/trades/sells, and that gartrader is not a retailer, nor does it provide warranties in use of the site. This may not be a big deal now, but once your site sees a lot of traffic you'll be assured of some litigious bastard trying to milk free sticks out of you by threatening legal action. My $0.02

It says I have 100 credits...what's that all about?

Can I use them to buy Kingantz's Tats? ;)

Andrew, what's your policy going to be for vendors or shops selling? Will you have say a fee associated with it for businesses?

Not sure if this is feasible for you but if you could add a catagory/icon/whatever for sellers to select if they were willing to ship to Canada that'd be helpful. Like say, they check a box when listing and under their name or beside or what ever a little red maple leaf shows up. Certainly would get me checking it regularly.

Not sure if this is feasible for you but if you could add a catagory/icon/whatever for sellers to select if they were willing to ship to Canada that'd be helpful. Like say, they check a box when listing and under their name or beside or what ever a little red maple leaf shows up. Certainly would get me checking it regularly.

Done:

http://www.gartrader.com/cigars/18_test__bolivar_colosales_for_sale

The seller can set it to Yes / No / For an additional fee

Keep the suggestions coming!

Cool site. I love the "chekm8" ad under miscellanea. :laugh:

I'll do more poking around and try to give better usability feedback.

BR

BTW...I'm not a lawyer, but I would strongly encourage some sort of user agreement during signup to make sure that users are fully aware that your site is simply a forum to facilitate buys/trades/sells, and that gartrader is not a retailer, nor does it provide warranties in use of the site. This may not be a big deal now, but once your site sees a lot of traffic you'll be assured of some litigious bastard trying to milk free sticks out of you by threatening legal action. My $0.02

It says I have 100 credits...what's that all about?

Can I use them to buy Kingantz's Tats? ;)

Yeah, there is a help file that will have the Terms of Service:

http://www.GarTrader.com/gt_help

I'm setting it such that you see the ToS after you log in for the first time.

As for the credits, that's the eCommerce portion of the site, which is currently disabled. If it is enabled, ads cost "credits" to post, and for additional credits, you can have your ad featured. Basically, this is how you can charge people money for posting ads.

Andrew, what's your policy going to be for vendors or shops selling? Will you have say a fee associated with it for businesses?

I'd be fine with vendors or shops selling there. For now, there would be no fee associated with doing so. That might change in the future, but it might not as well. Come one, come all, says I.

The rating system makes it easy for people to not only rate sellers, but also rate classified ads. I'd imagine if people see something that's ridiculously overpriced, they'll rate it low.

I'm a big fan of setting up systems that give the masses the tools to police themselves.

PM sent. Site looks really nice and put together well. I hope it takes off for ya. :thumbs:

A few random things I forgot to mention:

-- One nice thing about the site is that you can easily upload an image of what you're selling. You don't need a separate hosting site, just click a button to attach the image to your classified ad listing

-- You need to be a registered user to post a classified ad, however currently, anyone can respond to your ad whether they have an account on the site or not. I may change this, depending on how it works out

-- When someone responds to your ad, they do so via a form that sends you an email. You can then work out the transaction particulars with them, and do your trade as normal

-- Listings currently automatically are removed after 14 days. If you make changes to your listing (say, to lower the price), the listing is reset to a fresh 14 days.

-- Once a transaction is completed, you can simply delete your classified ad, and it will no longer be listed on the site

A note on privacy (I'm making notes to myself of things that I need to put in the Help / Terms of Service file):

-- People who do not have an account on the site can only see your Member Name, First Name, Last Name, and "About Me" text

-- People who DO have an account on the site can also see your address, age, marital status, and date of birth (but not your email address, or anything else I didn't mention). If you feel uncomfortable with that, you needn't have your address in your profile

-- Currently anyone can register an account on the site. The site does have a facility for me to manually approve each registrant, but I think that's probably unnecessary

-- Ads you post immediately appear in the category you've put them in. The site does have the facility to let me manually approve ads in any particular category before they go live, so if I ever did have a "high end" section or such, it's possible that those items could be vetted before going live

-- Each classified ad has a "Star rating" associated with it. I encourage you to give a high rating to deals that you think are fairly price, and a low rating to those that you think are not. You have to have an account on the site to rate a classified ad.

-- Similarly, each user has a "Star rating" associated with their user profile. I encourage you to give a good rating to people you've had good dealings with in the past, and a low rating to those you have not. Again, you need an account on the site to rate someone.

I agree that an ebay-like feedback system would work best. It looks great Moki. I'm in.

A few things were added:

-- Star Ratings for user profiles work now. Please feel free to rate people based on your interactions with them in the past

-- Added separate Buy / Sell / Trade sub-categories to each main category to make it easier to navigate

-- Put an AddThis share link on classified ads so people can easily post them to FaceBook, Twitter, etc.

-- Banned my first user. wOOt!

On the list of things to do now:

-- Write up the Help / Terms of Service

-- Get the final logo done

-- Think about the idea of only registered users being able to respond to or even see ads

-- Think about the idea of a private category for certain types of sales (high end, Cuban, whatever). I think I'll take a wait and see approach on this one. If people don't use the site much, there's no reason to bother

Okay, I have the "Help" and "Terms & Conditions" up now. It is always available by clicking on the "Help" link that appears when you are logged in, and it is automatically shown to people the first time they log in.

Have a look, let me know if there is anything I missed, or anything you don't like:

http://www.GarTrader.com/gt_help

Is there a way to alert members by email when a new ad is posted? That would be very helpful. Thanks! Allen

Is there a way to alert members by email when a new ad is posted? That would be very helpful. Thanks! Allen

Yes there is. Go to any category on the site, such as:

http://www.gartrader.com/cigars/want_to_sell

..and click on the "Notify me when new ads are submitted in this category" link at the top of the list header (it's in orange in this case). You'll then be emailed whenever something new is posted in that category.