• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A modest little article....

Very nice looking stogie tower.
I can see that in my living room.....one day. :)

It's quite a bit cheaper at CheapHumidors.com, but I'd probably shop around a bit, as CH has a pretty bad reputation for service and quality. A VERY nice tower though, I'd rather spend another $100 to get that than the ever popular Verona model.

You can find these on Cbid in the $500-600 range (plus shipping) Here's the current one. Tower of Power

Has anyone had experience with these units? I'm curious how well they are made.

Any Tower of Power Humidor (pictured below) owners among us? If so, any thoughts, opinions?

TOPstanding.jpg

I've been half-heartedly trying to snag one on the cheap from Cbid - no luck yet.

I've checked into the Avallo 2000 (pictured below), to be honest it seemed a bit expensive for an MDF cabinet. A couple months to wait and little ability to customize it. I know folks who have them really like them, so I haven't ruled one out, just moved it down on my list of possibilities.

AH2000RedBrownBeveled017.jpg

And I tried my utmost to get Viper (one of Viper's humidors below) to talk to me about building one, but no luck, I guess he is too busy.
drawers%20out.jpg

I'd like to hear from any others who have an upright (as opposed to an end-table) style cabinet humidor and any recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA

Wildcard said:
It's quite a bit cheaper at CheapHumidors.com, but I'd probably shop around a bit, as CH has a pretty bad reputation for service and quality. A VERY nice tower though, I'd rather spend another $100 to get that than the ever popular Verona model.
[snapback]94452[/snapback]​

Question for you guys who have bought from them and anyone who sells "inexpensive" humidors....

I see the prices on some of their larger peices and often wonder, how the heck are they selling them for so cheap?? You see kitchen hutches and china cabinets that are similar in constuction elsewhere that sell for 3-4-5 times the price and are often kinda cheezy. Are they press-board or actual hardwood? Hows the fit/finish??

I wish someone would just come out with a cheap all spanish cedar chest; unfinished on the outside; that could hold 500 big cigars.

Jeffro600 said:
Wildcard said:
It's quite a bit cheaper at CheapHumidors.com, but I'd probably shop around a bit, as CH has a pretty bad reputation for service and quality.  A VERY nice tower though, I'd rather spend another $100 to get that than the ever popular Verona model.
[snapback]94452[/snapback]​

Question for you guys who have bought from them and anyone who sells "inexpensive" humidors....

I see the prices on some of their larger peices and often wonder, how the heck are they selling them for so cheap?? You see kitchen hutches and china cabinets that are similar in constuction elsewhere that sell for 3-4-5 times the price and are often kinda cheezy. Are they press-board or actual hardwood? Hows the fit/finish??
[snapback]276103[/snapback]​

They are usually pressboard, MDF, or whatever covered with a veneer. The other reason is labor costs. All the units in question are made in China.

JK

I sell the Avallo Cabinets, so I will add some comments. BrewMeister, please remember that the Avallo 2000 comes with a $350 humidification system installed in the cabinet. Deduct the cost of that system, and the cost of the cabinet gets a lot closer to the chinese cabinets. The Avallo also uses better quality hardware. The adjustable door hinges make it easier to get a good door seal. While the Avallo cabinets are not a high end custom, they are built well, and come with the best humidification that you can buy. I Look at the imported cabinets as a piece of inexpensive furniture that has been made into something that looks like a humidor. Not really designed from the beginning to be a humidor. For example, if you look at an Avallo, or one of Heartfelts cabinets, you will see open space from top to bottom along the back wall. This open space allows for airflow throughout the cabinet. Airflow is important in a large cabinet. In the Tower, some of the shelves go right to the rear of the cabinet. This will block the airflow and cause uneven humidity in the cabinet.

ronc said:
I sell the Avallo Cabinets, so I will add some comments. BrewMeister, please remember that the Avallo 2000 comes with a $350 humidification system installed in the cabinet. Deduct the cost of that system, and the cost of the cabinet gets a lot closer to the chinese cabinets. The Avallo also uses better quality hardware. The adjustable door hinges make it easier to get a good door seal. While the Avallo cabinets are not a high end custom, they are built well, and come with the best humidification that you can buy. I Look at the imported cabinets as a piece of inexpensive furniture that has been made into something that looks like a humidor. Not really designed from the beginning to be a humidor. For example, if you look at an Avallo, or one of Heartfelts cabinets, you will see open space from top to bottom along the back wall. This open space allows for airflow throughout the cabinet. Airflow is important in a large cabinet. In the Tower, some of the shelves go right to the rear of the cabinet. This will block the airflow and cause uneven humidity in the cabinet.
[snapback]276128[/snapback]​

Hello Ron,

Thanks for the comments. Please don't mis-understand my comments. I did not say that your cabinets were not a better humidor cabinet than the Tower of Power (TOP) cabinet. Additionally, I coincide that by many accounts the humidification system included in the AVALLO is top-notch.

However, the AVALLO and TOP cabinets are both MDF cabinets. And according to current TOP owners I've communicated with, the TOP cabinet also has adjustable hinges. There is an air flow problem in the TOP cabinet, and most find it simple to solve with either an additional fan, as the AVALLO humidification now includes. Or my research indicates that many TOP owners just install two small humidifying system, one for the upper section and one for the lower.

However, all things consider, IMO the pricing isn't even close, when you see TOP's sell for under $500 on Cbid. Honestly, I could purchase your humidifying system install it the way I'd like to have it installed in a TOP cabinet, and still save $400-500. I'm not concluding that money is the only consideration. I have not decided yet what cabinet best suits my needs, and these are just my thoughts thus far. Subject to change as my research & information evolves.

I'd love to get something like that with my tax returns this year. But my girlfriend would kill me! And besides I wouldn't be able to even fill the 1st shelf lol. It does look sweet though.

Jason

BrewMeister, Thanks for looking at our cabinets and Accumonitor. If you buy a TOP, I would love to sell you an Accumonitor to get it humidified correctly. There are many choices out there, and you gotta buy what you like, and what you consider to be the best deal.

Regarding MDF, I would say that all the popular cigar cabinets are made from MDF. Watch for different thicknesses of the panels. I have seen some very flimsy back panels on some imported cabinets. Another issue is the quality and thickness of the veneer that is used.

I know that I am biased to a point, but there are differences. our customers have to decide if its worth the extra $ to get an Avallo.

Thanks again, Ron.

Having owned an Avallo 1000 for about a year, I can say it's a well designed and well made humidor. The humidification system works great, just add distilled water every 2 - 3 months.

Had a bit of an issue with the system recently, and Ron sent me replacement parts ASAP, and had me up and running in a couple of days ... great customer service!!

My only regret is that I didn't buy the larger unit, as humidors, like nature, abhor a vacuum and it filled up much quicker than I thought.

Great looking humidor, great customer service, and it's made in the good ole USA!!