• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A must try for all you hop heads..

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
I was lucky enough to stumble across a few bottles of the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA recently @ my local B&M. This beer has the highest ABV content of any beer I have tried coming in @ 21%, YES I typed that correctly. Has anyone had a chance to sample this? I have been letting mine settle for a few months but plan to enjoy soon. REVIEWS

I think beer stops being beer after 10%. I don't know what it becomes, but it's not any type of drink I would consider beer.

I think beer stops being beer after 10%. I don't know what it becomes, but it's not any type of drink I would consider beer.

It becomes cough syrup... seriously. We have one here that is even stronger than the one he posted (brewed by EKU), and it tastes like nasty cough syrup.

The Dogfish Head 90 is probably my favorite beer. The hop flavor and balance is just fantastic. I still haven't gotten up the nerve to drop $8 on a 12 oz. bottle though.

The Dogfish 60 and 90 Minute IPAs are my favorites right now. :thumbs:

Thinking of making a road trip to their Gaithersburg pub to try the 120 IPA and the Punkin Ale soon.

Has anyone tried Stone 10th Anniversary IPA yet? I saw it on the shelves yesterday, picked it up and ended up putting it back.

I picked that stone 10th up this past weekend but havent tried it yet.

Agreed that the 60 and 90 are both amazing beers. If the 90 were cheaper I would drink it all the freaking time.

DD

Last night I popped the lid on the 120 after a night on the town. A couple of friends and I split it up, grabbed the pool sticks and settled in for the ride. Even though I had enjoyed several cocktails prior to tasting, it still produced so much flavor that it took me about a minute before I could think of what to say. I was really surprised that I wasn’t overwhelmed by hops much at all. It was strong but the alcohol didn’t bother me either. In fact it was comparable to the alcohol presence in Duvel. All in all, I would say it’s a must try. 20% ABV seems scary, but I could drink one of these comfortably. Of course more then one and you better have a ride home.

DD

If you can get ahold of some, pick up some Pliny the Elder

It's not as extreme as 120min, but if you're looking for hellacious hop flavor/aroma, this stuff is incredible. I'm a hophead, but not just any beer loaded with hops tastes good to me. The hop blend in this one is IMO, perfect.

Then there's Pliny the Younger, but I've never had it. :)

It becomes Barley wine.

Doc.

I love Barley Wine :love: , haven't had it for years though.

One of my favorite activities in college was going to the local brewery when Barley Wine was in season, eat and drink as much as we could, and enjoy the ride.

Those were the days........

The 120 is really good stuff. I was not a huge fan of the 60 minute, but after trying this I am on a mission to try the rest of Dogfish Head's products.

Chateau Jiahu sounds... interesting.

Ohhhhhh that does sounds good. I haven't seen it around here yet. Lemme know how it is if you find it. :thumbs:

The 120 is really good stuff. I was not a huge fan of the 60 minute, but after trying this I am on a mission to try the rest of Dogfish Head's products.

Chateau Jiahu sounds... interesting.

Ohhhhhh that does sounds good. I haven't seen it around here yet. Lemme know how it is if you find it. :thumbs:

Will do. I actually found a local place that carries it. I'm going to stop by after work and buy a bottle if it's $20 or less.

I can't imagine it would be more then 20$. The most expensive DFH bomber I have seen was the Fort @ 17.99. If you see the Raison D'Extra pick it up. It is hard to find and realllly good. :thumbs:

Thanks for the heads up on the Raison D'Extra. My local store had it but I passed it up. I'll pick up a bottle next time I'm at my goto store.

I got a bottle of the Chateau Jiahu last night. It was only $13.50. It was really good! You can definitely taste the honey, and it's very fruity/floral. It doesn't taste "artificially sweet," however. I'm a fan.

I just finished a Raison D'Extra myself. This bottle was over a year old and it was weird, but very interesting and tasty. It was 18.5% ABV and you definitely feel it. I have a bottle of the 120 minute IPA (06) and the World Wide Stout (04) resting in my cellar, waiting for the right moment to crack one open. I love DFH.

Back