• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A new ashtray just completed.

handyman dave

Newbie - Still old but not dead yet!
Here is a new ashtray I just completed. It came from a knot that I had salvaged while cutting firewood last fall. I looked at it all winter and finally decided it would make a good ashtray.

Here's the final result:

gallery_6600_665_12748.jpg

gallery_6600_665_95140.jpg

Rather rustic, but I really like it, wonderful grain and contrasting colors!
Now, where can I find another piece of wood that's at least that interesting? (I'd love to make some more!)

Beyoooooootiful job Dave. :) Now that is fun. Wish I had the thought and the ability to make stuff like that.

Don

Boy, thats pretty. You reminded me of the Gordian Knot and Michelangelo's statue of David.

You are in quite the creative mindset this fine Saturday afternoon!!

So tell me, where do I send my $50 dollars for a creation like this?? :D

Beautiful job. I'd have a hard time droping ashes into it

Oh man, I love that Dave! I was in TJ Maxx not long ago and they had a bunch of knots of wood as ornamental pieces, one shaped somewhat like a ashtray and I almost got it. I really love pieces like that. Very nice work!

Dave,

That's what I used to call my mishap projects in wood shop in high school! "Uh, what is it son?" "It's an ashtray Dad!" :sign:

Nice work Dave!

Dave, you are quite the craftsman Sir! Amazing piece of work!

Nice wood Dave

Not that there's anything wrong with that :whistling:

That is so cool I don't even have words....... I Love it is all I can say :love:

Arent knots super hard , was it difficult to work with?

Thanks guys for all the nice comments!

what did you use to shape that?

I started with a bandsaw to rough-out the shape & roughly set the thickness. Then a drum sander w/36 grit paper leveled the top and bottom. Then forstner bits to rough out the opening, followed by carbide cutters and a sandpaper bowl sanding device in a drill press. Then 5 different grades of sandpaper followed by a little tung oil. A week to dry and it was ready to use.

BTW - In between lining my humidor with spanish cedar this afternoon I roughed out another ashtray from a maple knot. It isn't quite a rustic as the first one but it came out pretty well, I think, with some interesting grain for sure. When I get it done I'll post some more pictures.

If only I had a supply of dry knots like these two. These were from firewood cutting last year and are reasonably dry. I keep anything that looks like I could possibly use, but there is no way to keep making these with knots. I just don't have them.

I'll have to try some solid burl blocks and see how they come out.