• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A new box

wasy

How long do you guys leave a new unopened box of gars out of the humi? I'm thinking so long as the box is sealed they must be good for a very long time or is that a bad assumption?

How long do you guys leave a new unopened box of gars out of the humi? I'm thinking so long as the box is sealed they must be good for a very long time or is that a bad assumption?

Bad assumption bro.

Whether in or out of the box, they should be stored in a properly humidified container. :thumbs:

If you don't have room in your humi, it is VERY easy to set up a small "coolerdor".

Hope this helps.

~Mark

Treatem like a fish outta water bro, yeah...they're ok for a bit, but you'd like to get them back in ASAP. :p

Wow, I'm moving them to the humidor as we speak!

Thanks!

Treatem like a fish outta water bro, yeah...they're ok for a bit, but you'd like to get them back in ASAP. :p

Nice analogy, Brick! :thumbs:

In general, this is good advice. Of course it depends on the specific environment. My basement runs low to mid 60's in temperature and anywhere from 60-70% humidity depending on how I set my dehumidifier. Under those conditions, I could leave boxes out for quite a while with little ill effect.

Wilkey

Do certain boxes 'keep' longer out of a humi?

I have seen some boxes advertised as 'humidor style' boxes...

Does this make a difference?

In general, this is good advice. Of course it depends on the specific environment. My basement runs low to mid 60's in temperature and anywhere from 60-70% humidity depending on how I set my dehumidifier. Under those conditions, I could leave boxes out for quite a while with little ill effect.

Wilkey
at that point isn't your entire basement a humidor?

ykm loki' date='Jun 1 2006, 01:02 PM' post='327695']

Wilkey

Oooooohhh. The mind reels at the possibilities. :D

Wilkey

ykm loki' date='Jun 1 2006, 01:02 PM' post='327695']

Wilkey

Oooooohhh. The mind reels at the possibilities. :D

Wilkey

lol your wife would plant you 6 feet under in the garden.

And Celt I know some boxes have either humi-packs in them or humidifiers built in, those I'm sure you can leave out a bit longer.

Hehe,

Wood chipper is more like it. No, I don't think I'm prepared to go out in quite that fashion. :sign:

Now, back to the question at hand. Some cigars do come in pretty beefy boxes that are near-humidors. The NC Romeo and Julieta and Montecristo White and Platinum come to mind. They are typically full boite nature construction (with collars all around) and have flush-fitting lids with those inset hinges. Take out a few smokes, stick in a HumiPuck or something like it and you would a reasonable desktop humi. Most cigars that come in these boxes are not cheap. But, if you factor in the fact that you're getting a humidor in the deal, maybe it's not that bad.

Wilkey