• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A pipe I just made.

handyman dave

Newbie - Still old but not dead yet!
I thought some folks might be interested in trying one of these so I thought I'd share my expereince.
I picked up a kit from Boswell's. Here is the kit I received for $40.00. It was a beautiful block of briar with the holes already drilled.
200802291005580008lx3.jpg

I marked the lines of the holes on the sides, sketched in a shape and made preliminary cuts.

200802291011430012ui2.jpg

I then roughed out the stem section.
200802291019200017mb0.jpg

A rasp and finer files got the shaping started.
200802291047250019ym4.jpg

Sandpaper was used to complete the shaping. I gradually progressed through 100,150,220,320,400,600,1000 grits to complete and smooth the surface.

200802291141280022ow3.jpg

The next post shows the finished piece.

A little alcohol base walnut stain, some paste wax and a little buffing completed the piece.
200802291420430029vq0.jpg

200802291420570030ks5.jpg

200802291421470031dh0.jpg

200802291421570032mt1.jpg

For my first attempt I am reasonably happy with how it looks. It feels really good in my hand. Tomorrow I'll fire it up and see how it smokes!

It was a fun 3 hour project. I recommend it to anyone with a little woodworking experience and a bit of patience.
I look forward to doing it again someday when I have $40 and a few hours to spare for a pipe.

For my first attempt I am reasonably happy with how it looks. It feels really good in my hand. Tomorrow I'll fire it up and see how it smokes!

It was a fun 3 hour project. I recommend it to anyone with a little woodworking experience and a bit of patience.
I look forward to doing it again someday when I have $40 and a few hours to spare for a pipe.

This forum is evil. I've been contemplating doing this for two weeks now and I think I'm going to punch in and buy a starter like yours.

You say you got it form Boswell's. I don't see anything about this on their site. Did you get it at the B&M?

Very nice job on the pipe BTW. I'll be thrilled if mine turns out half as nice.

Very nice work Dave! So, when do you start taking orders?

Very nice work Dave! So, when do you start taking orders?

Glad you like it!
As for taking orders; I could never get my hourly rate plus materials for the pipes so I think I'll continue doing my other work and keep the wolves away from the door!

This forum is evil. I've been contemplating doing this for two weeks now and I think I'm going to punch in and buy a starter like yours.

You say you got it form Boswell's. I don't see anything about this on their site. Did you get it at the B&M?

Living only 50 miles from his shop has its advantages. I picked it up at the store. If you contact him I am sure he'll be glad to sell you one too!

I'll echo the other sentiments here, that is a fine looking pipe for a first attempt and all hand work.

Not wanting to take away any business from the Boswell family, but Mark Tinsky at American Smoking Pipes also sells very nice pre-drilled kits. If you wanted to take it a step further, you can get really fine blocks, undrilled I believe, from Michael Parks. Google either name to get their web
addresses.

if you ever thought about doing it as a hobby, for 50-75 I'd be first in line to try one of those bad boys out.

Nice job Dave! Bring it to the herf, I's like to see it. :thumbs:

Awesome pipe.. Id love to try to make one. What tools did you use?

I used a bandsaw to make the roughing cuts but they could easily be done using a coping saw with a fresh blade.
A Nicholson #49 wood rasp does a marvelous job of hogging-off and shaping. On the down side it is rather expensive. A similar job can be done with any number of wood rasps including some inexpensive Chinese versions, it will just take a little longer.
A half round metal file bridged the shaping gap from the rasp to sandpaper.
Then strips of sandpaper that I cut various slender widths in the grits I mentioned, along with a sanding block, were used to smooth and shape and refine the curves.
Nothing high-tech, just simple stuff.

I'll echo the other sentiments here, that is a fine looking pipe for a first attempt and all hand work.

Not wanting to take away any business from the Boswell family, but Mark Tinsky at American Smoking Pipes also sells very nice pre-drilled kits. If you wanted to take it a step further, you can get really fine blocks, undrilled I believe, from Michael Parks. Google either name to get their web
addresses.
Thanks for the kind words and the other sources!
Since getting this one from JM I have thought about starting from scratch and drilling the holes as well. I have a couple of drill presses so aligning them would not be difficult. However, the hole for the fire is shaped differently than a regular drill bit and I would need to find the correct cutter to finish the inside of the hole to the correct profile. Perhaps your sources will be able to provide me with one. I will check!

if you ever thought about doing it as a hobby, for 50-75 I'd be first in line to try one of those bad boys out.
I appreciate the offer but I recently started building a cello as my hobby project and that will consume any free time for the foreseeable future.

Dave, looks awesome bro!!! I am not really into pipes at all, but that one looks real tight! Enjoy it bro.

Don

That is a really nice looking pipe, great piece of work!!

That is VERY nice!

I have to try this some day. Once I get my workshop finished and all of my tools sorted, a pipe is going to be one of my first projects.

Once again, very nice work!