• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A question about Whale Wars TV show.

steamboat

Future Skinny Person
I am watching a show on Animal Planet called Whale Wars. They zip around in little boats trying to throw stink bombs and bottles of chemicals that make the deck slippery in an attempt to make the Whalers have to stop killing whales.

They are trying to stop this really big ship that has water cannons to keep them out of throwing range so they tried going at them head on but the bow was too high and they couldn't make the throw.

They have a helicopter as a spotter and I can't figure out why they don't drop the bottles from the helicopter. Does the rotor wash make it impossible to drop a bottle on the deck of a very large ship or if they did something like that, they wouldn't create enough drama to make a show??

I can't believe these guys are back for another season. It's funny, because the current crew is worse than the last! The captain is completely incompetent. I only caught part of one episode this season, and the crew was having a drunken costume party. I thought they got grants to go save the whales? I have yet to see them stop one whaling boat, and they just sit around and cry afterwards. I can't believe they made a show out of these dumbsh!ts, it really makes the whole "save the whales" ideology look futile and defeated.

I love this show, not because I believe in what they are doing, but basically I like watching how incompetent they are with everything. I call it "Stoners at Sea". The pilot seems like the only one who has a little common sense, my guess is that he probably thinks that it is not safe. No sense in risking an retaliation on such an expense piece of equipment and his life.

Now, I have no idea what's involved in the whale hunting but aren't there regulations the whalers have to follow for hunting? Are there overseers or regulators that inspect the process to ensure they are following the rules?

I wonder how long it'll take before they make a reality show about stopping the seal hunt here in Canada. Personally I'm sick of hearing about it every year, how PETA and Pam Anderson and all the celebrity supporters blab on and on about it.

Paul Watson (I think that's the captains name) has a very sketchy history up here.

I would love to try a whale steak and some ground seal someday :D

Paul Watson was one of the founders of green peace and was kickout for being too radical!

As for dropping the stink bombs from the chopper, they aren't too smart to figure that one out, I have been saying that since i first saw the show.

Someone has to explain to me how this series continues to be filmed. While I personally find no reason to want to go whaling these guys that do are doing it legally as far as I can tell. I believe that they are allowed to take so many per year for, quote research unquote.

Anyway, these wing nuts couldn't keep flys off sh*t let alone stop a whaling vessel really makes me wonder who is running Discover Channel with this type of crap programming.

The helicopter doesn't get close to the ships because of the sound emitting weapons that the ships employ... Geez, a little common sense from you guys and you could've figured that out...
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

The helicopter doesn't get close to the ships because of the sound emitting weapons that the ships employ... Geez, a little common sense from you guys and you could've figured that out...
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Are you talking about the new super weapon referred to as SONAR?

If I had to guess I would say the 'copter is a lease and the owner isn't going to let those chuckle-heads do anything that may put his property at risk.

For the record I have never seen the show.

I always wonder where the hell they are getting all their funding from. Is it donations from other yahoos?

South Park did a hilarious parody of those wackos!

I love that show too! Bunch of monkeys screwing a football. Their captain Paul is a twisted individual. But, hey I guess he is doing something right because they work off of donations. I even think his boats were donated.

Did any of you see the episode Paul was "shot"?

I have deffinantly watched this show since the start...pretty interesting sometimes, other times its just stupid.

While I dont really agree with the the Japanese actions...doing some of this stuff with giant boats hundreds of miles from the nearest coast is pretty crazy.

Example:
Video

Pretty funny how they dont show that on Discovery Channel haha

You know i have asked this question a hundred times in my head. It would be to easy to drop the stink bombs from the helicopter cause the downward rotor wash would help guide you weapons to the target. This I know for a fact cause i use to drop spent batteries from my bird on to cows. You talk about funny :laugh: :laugh: Anyway i think it may have something to do with classifying the bird once you use it as a weapon. It then in turn can be fire upon in self defense and very easily being knocked out the air with a simple flare to the engine intake. And from there it is SCREAMING EAGLE to the ground or water.

As for the sound wave weapons I'm sure they would have no affect on the bird or the pilot cause to date sound weapon can be nullified by any bearer place between the naked ear IE: ear plug,or headphones which I'm sure the pilot wears both. Adding the downward rotor wash that would break up the sound waves or totally overtake the approaching sound waves :sign: :sign: Just my take on it

Definatly agree its a load of drama, and they make themselves look retarded, If i remember correctly there was some huge stipulation by the dutch government about using the helicopter as a weapon, they are under there flag and have to abide by some of there rules or be a pirate ship in the water which wouldnt last very long with the stuff they pull.