• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A question of etiquette

Gipper76

Gotta question for you folks, say your at a social gathering and there are smokers around (but they're smoking cigarettes) and you want to have a cigar. Do you think one should ask before lighting that baby up even though there are smokers all around you? I only ask because some may find a cigar intimidating, especially if your the only one who wants to have one.

What say you?

Jason

If indoors, I always ask. I believe very strongly that in this world, rights only come with responsibilities. That responsibility, when it comes to things like smoking, might be to err on the strongest side of courtesy.
Even outdoors, if, say, you are in a neighbor's backyard at a BBQ or the like, I would ask, as some really do find the smoke and ordor quite disturbing.
In a park-like setting, however, where even though it is a social situation, there is plenty of space and distance, and you are very unlikley to bother someone, I say go ahead an light up. Further specifics might help, though. Good for you for being thoughtful to the way we as smokers are thought of.

At my VFW Post most smokers smoke cigarettes and I'm the only one that smokes real cigars. (the others smoke "gas station cigars") I've never gotten a protest when I lite up. Of course, no one is going to argue with the Post Chaplain. ;)

Lopaka

If indoors, I always ask. I believe very strongly that in this world, rights only come with responsibilities. That responsibility, when it comes to things like smoking, might be to err on the strongest side of courtesy.
Even outdoors, if, say, you are in a neighbor's backyard at a BBQ or the like, I would ask, as some really do find the smoke and ordor quite disturbing.
In a park-like setting, however, where even though it is a social situation, there is plenty of space and distance, and you are very unlikley to bother someone, I say go ahead an light up. Further specifics might help, though. Good for you for being thoughtful to the way we as smokers are thought of.

I only ask because I'm the only person my age who appreciates cigars and everyone else I know either doesn't smoke or only smokes cigarettes. I just figured if I wasn't a smoker I would want someone to ask me first. But thanks for the replies. :thumbs:

It kinda depends. If I was outdoors I wouldn't ask anyone. If I was indoors at a person's home I would ask to be polite even though cigarette smoke is more offensive to me then cigar smoke. If I was indoors at a public place like a restaurant or hotel type place I would not ask because we are all neutral in a setting like that and no one has the right to say something if they don't own the place. If you take it out and smoke it with confidence not as many people will bother you. When you look apprehensive about it, some jackass will think that's an opportunity to bust your balls.

If indoors and I'm not sure I ask someone who works there. If they say it's OK, it's OK. If anyone says anything tell them you don't like their cigarette smoke. If outside, I just try to be downwind and a little bit away from the door so it doesn't bother anyone walking in or out. I smoke cigarettes and I say screw the cigarette smokers.

IMHO it never hurts to ask. Consideration is almost always viewed as a positive value..... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

I always ask, and I've never had anyone say no. It also helps when the wind starts blowing smoke directly into some girl's face. "Well, I warned yah."

Last Friday night, I was at a bar, where I usually smoke, and people are in and out so often that I don't think it feasable to ask everyone. So I lit up only to have this girl giving me dirty looks and waving her hand as though she was having a seizure. I felt bad enough to move a few more feet away. I'll be damned if not 5 minutes later she lit up a cigerette. I hate the smell of them, but never give dirty looks and flail my arms and legs uncontrollably to show my lack of appreciation. She can F off.

Last Friday night, I was at a bar, where I usually smoke, and people are in and out so often that I don't think it feasable to ask everyone. So I lit up only to have this girl giving me dirty looks and waving her hand as though she was having a seizure. I felt bad enough to move a few more feet away. I'll be damned if not 5 minutes later she lit up a cigerette. I hate the smell of them, but never give dirty looks and flail my arms and legs uncontrollably to show my lack of appreciation. She can F off.

Wow that is pretty classic right there. Was she an example of the "Me" generation?

If I am eating dinner on the patio of a restaurant known for allowing cigars (which is why I am there right?) then I have no problem lighting up.

That is borderline unbelievable...some people! When I see things like this I simply marvel at how utterly empty the individual's head must be. :rolleyes:

Back when you still could smoke in bars in NY, I lit one up as I was enjoying a few drinks with some friends. This woman walks over from the end of the bar and starts screaming at me, "Your fuggin cigar stinks like shit!" The whole time doing this, she has a Newport dangling from her mouth.

Well, I thoroughly went through my list of 4 and 5 letter words, and told her what she could do with her Newport.

If i'm at a house party I alwasy ask the owner of the house. If I'm outside though I usually just light up, but I'm always willing to move if it bothers someone. THere's enough world out there for me to enjoy a smoke w/o pissing people off int he process!

Gipper, what school you @? If you wanna talk cigars..hit me up on AIM: H311oLHD

-Aaron

If I'm indoors I'll usually ask first. Mainly because, once I start smoking, I don't want to have to put it out. I'd rather someone tell me no than to have someone ask me to put it out(which usually pisses me off). If I'm outdoors, I'm not worried too worried about what people think.

That is borderline unbelievable...some people! When I see things like this I simply marvel at how utterly empty the individual's head must be. :rolleyes:

I can one up it. I was at a sports bar/restaurant for the Super Bowl with a few friends in 2006, we chose a bar because I wanted to smoke. I asked the manager ahead of time, and when we arrived if my cigars would be alright...he said fine. Not five minutes after lighting up this biznatch in the booth next to me complained and the manager asked me nicely to put it out...The woman who asked for me to put it out smoked a pack and a half of Marlboro's during the game...UGH!

Some people only care about themselves, I got a headache from her Marlboro, but I never would have complained about it. If I dont like what someone is doing in a public place (so long as its legal) I I will either put up with it or leave, other people resort to bitching.

Back when you still could smoke in bars in NY, I lit one up as I was enjoying a few drinks with some friends. This woman walks over from the end of the bar and starts screaming at me, "Your fuggin cigar stinks like shit!" The whole time doing this, she has a Newport dangling from her mouth.

Well, I thoroughly went through my list of 4 and 5 letter words, and told her what she could do with her Newport.

Same thing happened to me a few years back. The lady was a couple hundred pounds overweight and her moo-moo looked like a couple hippos fightin under a blanket. Her cigarette dangled so low I was sure it would burn one of her chins. I politely explained it was a special occasion and these were expensive cigars. Five minutes later her husband came over and offered to pay our bar/dinner tab if we would put them out. He said "gimmie a break fellas I gotta go home with her"

I offered him a proposition....I said "I have another cigar, you could stay here with us; that's a win-win situation"!