• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Sad Goodbye

Jim,

Words can't express how much it hurts when losing a pet, especially a pup who you love so much, and who loves you back even more. I would have locked this thread, but I'm just seeing it now, so I apologize. If you still want it locked, just say the word. I'll certainly give our two pooches a little extra love in memory Amber. She sure was a cutie! Hang in there, it'll get easier as time goes on.

The wife and I are not able to have any children, BUT we do have a 90lb golden that has made a permanent addition to our lives. I dread the day that he goes to doggy heaven, and can only imagine what you are going through. Pets touch our lives in so many ways. Much love through this difficult time..
DE

Jim, I am familiar with the kind of pain you speak of. It's a mother****** to get through. Peace to you and yours.

Very sorry for your loss. I too had a friend like this. A golden named Bailey. Of course during my divorce, the decision was made that she stay, for the sake of my children. But everytime I showed up at the house she greeted me with the same enthusiam and smile as each day before, even when she was getting along in years. I was unaware of how quickly her health was declining until I got a phone call one sunday afternoon while I was away in chicago on business. From what I was told the pain she was going through was really bad, and that tough decisions might have to be made really soon, like in the next day. I restled with that one, but in the end I decided I that when I got back the following day, I alone would take her to our vet to make this call. Was pretty tough doing my job the rest of the day in a plant with people all around trying to hide the tears that I'm sure they could see/hear while all I did was think about this decision.

I got in the very next morning and went right over there, I made a call so it was known I was coming right over, only to find out she had passed in the middle of the night. I know in my heart she was probably just trying to hold on for me, so I could see her that one last time and I was too late. We have a little memorial for her and I have pictures all around that still catch my eye and make me think back to the good days and all that. Sigh, it still hurts to this day.

I had just logged onto CP when my littlest dog Nina wanted to get up on my lap and sit with me. She has seizures and had a little one this morning while i drank my coffee. Made me wonder why she do that when she normally sits on the couch pillows waiting for me to go upstairs to get ready.
I'm glad she was with me while I read this story about Amber. I know the feeling of losing a friend, Jim.

I'll give the two dogs an extra kiss this morning before going on duty.

Dave

<edit> because I'm stupid in the mornings.

I've got three myself Jim......and I've actually always said my next will be a Swissy.

I've very sorry for you and your family's loss. It's not different than losing a member of the family, because that's precisely what it is.

All the best bro. Love that pic though :)

Sorry for your loss.

There is a reason people call dogs "man's best friend." I think the love a dog has for its owner(s) is the only true unconditional love on this earth.

I feel your sadness, I lost my dog of 17 years recently. Yours looks like a great one too. Best to you and yours. I know it's like loosing a member of the family. Coming across pics in the camera or in a photo album can be rough so keep that in mind.

Sorry for your lost friend! A pet is one of the closest things to true connection in life.

Jim:

All of my adopted dogs (who live at other homes) will be getting extra scratches behind the ears.

Long live the memory of your furkid.

Sean

Thanks all... I haven't been able to look in on this until now. I can't believe how hard this has hit me - 20 years of fighting fires and seeing the things man does to one another, and you'd think I'd have a thicker skin? But I still get really emotional when I talk about it. But it's getting better. Hell, I didn't have this hard of a time when any other of my animals passed or even my father! (Sad but true...)

She was special, but right now Porter is suffering. He won't leave my side on walks where he used to go run and play with others. Not sure if he's there for me, or needs me there for him. He's at least eating and drinking, which is more than I can say for myself, and he's not looking everywhere for her. He just has the same sad look I'm told I have. But if he continues this was and doesn't snap out of it, I may have to look at a playmate for him before I am ready for one. At least Amber's breeder has offered us one from her upcoming litter - where the bitch is from a litter from Amber's sister and Porter's brother. We'll see what the next weeks bring.

Rod, thanks but I'll leave this open. I thought of PM'ing you to close it right away but now I'm glad I didn't. Guess I'm not the only softy here. Doc... it took some explaining to the wife why I told her your post meant the most to me but thanks.

I've yet to find a creature that is as faithful and close to us as dogs. They truly can be a part of the family. Sorry for your loss bud, it is always really hard to lose one, especially one you are really close to. I almost hate getting dogs now, because I know how hard it hurts when they leave. :( I'm dreading the day I lose my little terrier, he is just an absolute crackup and my best little buddy.

Truly sorry for your loss, Jim. I just recently lost my Dane at 9 years old.
While it hurt at levels I did not expect, I am thankful for a lot of great memories.
He was Scooby Doo in spades. Smart, funloving, comical, but I know he would die for me or my boy.
He wouldn't let anybody near my son. 200 pounds of ferocity to strangers, yet the most
gentle of giants with us; always going out of his way to avoid anything that would hurt us.
I don't know how many times his bellowing bark sent a door to door salesman scurrying. We got plenty of laughs from that.
You are fortunate to had had that one in a million friend.

Back