• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A special cigar for a special night

May I ask what you test cut the sword with

Absolutely. We cut rolled tatami omote also known as goza. This is commonly used as a floor covering in traditional Japanese homes and is made of a specific type of grass woven together. It is rolled up and soaked in water for about 24 hours. Once it is ready to cut, it is about the resistance of cutting through a leg at about thigh level. There are designated cutting sequences that we use when doing the cutting of increasing difficulty.

In the style I study, we have a saying: "If you aren't cutting, you're just dancing." Meaning, kata (or forms) without being able to cut is worthless. Therefore as part of our testing we cut from our forms. This can be pretty tricky, but I have fallen in love with the art. I'll post some photos later, but my work computer is being a pain right now.

It's OK Dave, I've got some of those pics you sent me of you practicing...

200140236-001.jpg

For some reason I can't see the picture you posted, and that makes me a bit nervous. ???

But here is a link to a flickr photostream I did a while ago after going to an open house that Howard put on. There are some pics of him forging a couple of swords and a bunch of people cutting. One of those guys is actually my instructor. That was a fun afternoon. I got to know Howard and his family a bit better, see him do his thing, and meet some nice people.