• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A thought on CigarBid

Lumberg

Opus Lover
I haev found that the really cheap stuff, and even the midgrade stuff, tends to go for more than it's worth (especially the 5 packs).

I mean seldom does a 5-pack go for less than $7, even for brands you've never heard of.

However if you pick your poison wisely, there are good deals to be had on the premium and super-premium sticks.

I think the mentality is that people don't want to spend too much money. And people (like me two months ago) would spend hundreds of dollars on multiple lots of mostly junk.

But you can spend a hundred on one lot of premiums that list for $30 more if, as I said, you choose and bid wisely.

My 2 cents, which cost me about 1,000 times that to learn.

for those of you who can't multiply...

that's about 20 bucks :D

the only thing i buy off cbid is the nat sherman cigarillo's (block of 10).
around 30 bucks, and well worth it.

yea, some of their stuff goes way beyond normal internet prices.
but that's what happens if you don't check else where.

I was sort of thinking the same thing after checking the place out. I'm sure you could get a good deal on something that didn't have a big name on it, but add shipping to most bids and your at retail. Just my thoughts...

My first experience with Satan was last night. I bought 3 5-packs of CAO L'Anniversary Maduros (3 different types). averaged out to about $2.50 /stick.
I was surprised at the amount of junk and also that people were bidding kinda high on some items.

My suggestion is to keep a window open to a decent website with MSRP available for reference and remind yourself to check it often when in a bidding frenzy.

You definitely have to know what you're buying. There are usually a couple good deals on stuff every week, just not every day. There is one brand that I buy there for when it's in the range that works out to be less than box prices in the 5pak. Just remember that there's probably going to be another chance next week.

Know what you are buying or ask around before jumping in. ???
Winning too many auctions of un-knowns, makes for a great load of Dog Bombs. :p

Just because it's a good price doesn't make it a good smoke. ;)

Keeping another browser window open to check prices, is good advice.

Figure on 70 - 80% of retail and use that as your highest bid.

If the bid goes over your 80% cap, you can either wait and it will be listed again or go get it retail.

This is just my .02.
(and yes, it did cost me more than that to get this CBid thing down right) :sign:

I agree with geldor1. It took me a while to figure out that I shouldn't get too hyped about a "good deal." That said, I've had only one time where I had to return cigars... they shipped wrong product. However, they paid for the return shipping and sent me the stoges I wanted.

All the smokes I've "won" have arrived in perfect condition. I have had some good wins, but I've also suffered from buying some bad/cheap rockets just because the price seemed right.

Good finds for me on CB would be La Perla Habana Toro, Gurkha, 5 Vegas, and Leon Jimenez #1. On the other hand, I've received some real rockets that didn't stay in the humi very long. That's what drunk friends are for. :D

Cigarbid IS the DEVIL !!!

It also is an auction clearing site for cigar international though. Never bid on anything that you don't know just exactly what your bidding on and never bid without having the cigar international site open in another window so you can see exctly what the retail price is for everything.

I do use CB a lot. But I know or look for the retail price before I bid. That being said, you can get a very good deal on some premium smokes. I'v bought several boxs of a certain stick at $50.00 off retail. :0 :thumbs:

I second the motion that you must do your homework and check out the regular retail cost at some of the better online sites. Keeping a second window open to cigars international is a must.
You can definitely get screwed there and you also can get some great deals if you are patient.
I just bought a box of my favorite cheap smokes for $28 and CI's regular price is $46.
Although you might overpay slightly for some 5-packs, it can be a good way to sample something you might otherwise not be able to try, especially if you've already won something else during the same shipping period.
Generally speaking, if something sells for under $10, there is a good reason why its going so cheap.

One exception is the Costa RIcan stuff they are letting go at rock botton prices. I got one of the samplers and I was VERY pleasantly surprised.

I think bundles/boxes of 25 are going for $7 at times and THAT is a good deal.

I mean these are no premiums but most likely a serious upgrade to most peoples' fishing/yard gars.

As a newbe, I got hooked up in it...yes, doing your homework really helps.

Also, having a brother who knows a little something about gars helps too.

Thanks for all your help, Charlie. I'll stop the emails....after today.

good to this forum open to get good tips on some of them.

thanks guys.

I always say bid 50% of the MSRP and bid often on only good sticks. Eventually you'll get some great smokes for a great price. My motto is if you throw enough stuff on the wall, eventually some of it will stick.... :D

About a year ago, I bid $30 for a box of Cameroon CAO Toros and won it. :thumbs:

Lastly, Frank it's my pleasure to help you out when ever you need it and when ever any other of my botl need it also. :) :thumbs: :)

I have to jump on the bandwagon here.
Have some found some gresat deals on sticks when some research is done ahead of time.

:thumbs:

I agree on doing your homework and checking prices.

I've gotten a few good deals on merchandise if you don't mind a ding or two on a traveldor.

Decide on your limit, use autobid, if it goes above, wave bye-bye; everything comes back eventually. Recently got a box of several years old Signature Collection for a really good price (under $30) and these are definitely worth more.

Don't get caught by auction fever! (Don't ask how I know.... :( )