• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A trip to Rocky's factory

vortex

"A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future
The Cigar Manager, Gary Griffith, of the B&M where I work p/t gave me permission to share his slide show of his recent trip to Rocky's factory in Honduras. I was struck by the incredible organization and attention to detail required to produce a consistent product. Also, the amount of labor is astounding! Enjoy!

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/c...nt=20360155.pbw

Very interesting! Thanks for that.

That was very cool, nice to get the full range of processes. I've visited a farm in CT during harvest season and the "back half" of the processes were pretty much the same, although the farm I visited had a "sewing" machine to help make the hands of leaves. We hope to go back next early in the season to see the hot house planting process.

Thanks for sharing!

As a side note, Rocky Patel has been a major player in trying to defeat (and keep defeated) the SCHIP bill. Go Rocky!

Very interesting! I'm glad that he took a picture of the draw testing machine. I often wondered how this was accomplished. :thumbs:

i just got back, Rocky was not there since he was fighting the SCHIP bill. The rest of the guys Oscar and Gustavo were real cool. All the smokes you could smoke and all of the Flor De Cana you could drink, a first class tour and visit.

Great slides! I really enjoy RP cigars, just ordered a box of 25. I bet that place smelled awesome! I grew up around tobacco here in the South, actually had my hand of cropping a few seasons ($50 a day!). We'd hang the tobacco in the cure house and the smell always made me want to smoke the stuff. Woody and very sweet! I've got a DVD from CAO if anyone's interested in a copy, send me a PM, and I'll send a copy to ya.

Great slides! I really enjoy RP cigars, just ordered a box of 25. I bet that place smelled awesome! I grew up around tobacco here in the South, actually had my hand of cropping a few seasons ($50 a day!). We'd hang the tobacco in the cure house and the smell always made me want to smoke the stuff. Woody and very sweet! I've got a DVD from CAO if anyone's interested in a copy, send me a PM, and I'll send a copy to ya.
That must have been a great way to be introduced to the leaf! That CD might be the "Seed to Soul" or something like that. I have been curious about that CD. But I'm pretty sure there's one kicking around the B&M where I P/T evenings.

I've been invited to go on one of these trips and intend to take advantage of the opportunity in Feb.

There are now two trips being planned from our B&M. I can't make the one in Nov to Rockys but I'm starting to save for the one in Feb to DPGs! :thumbs:

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the slide show and good luck with the DPG tour.

Very cool slideshow. I really enjoy alot of Rocky Patels offerings, so was cool to see a bit of it.

Thank you for sharing, Steve.

By the way, what was that large vat in Image 17?

Wilkey

Nice pictures. I was concerned about the picture titled "Some made into maduro" or something like that. I always thought maduro meant ripe and therefore didn't need to be made into maduro. I guess Rocky dyes his leaves to make them into maduro?

Awesome thanks for shareing. Ok ive been gone awhile and came back here about a week ago. Whats this SCHIP bill?

It has steam coming out of it...maybe faster fermentation for the maduros??

Edit: Image 16 shows another one and some of the one possibly in Image 17.

Thank you for sharing, Steve.

By the way, what was that large vat in Image 17?

Wilkey

Nice pictures. I was concerned about the picture titled "Some made into maduro" or something like that. I always thought maduro meant ripe and therefore didn't need to be made into maduro. I guess Rocky dyes his leaves to make them into maduro?
Maduro wrappers are usually fermented for several weeks to "ripen" the leaf. But there is considerable leeway in the use of the term. It can also refer simply to the color of the wrapper. While some manufacturers have dyed wrappers to "cheat" a maduro, this is seldom done anymore, according to blenders I've talked to about it.

A great show!! Thanks for sharing. Not like being there but very educational. Thanks!! :cool: