• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Absinthe?

The Czechs have made absinthe since the 1920s, after the second world war and the fall of the eastern block to communism, production was forced underground, you stating that they only started producing it in the 1900s is wrong.

And I've never said I'm an expert, I'll leave that to you, you obviously have drank a lot more of the stuff as I have.

Just because I no longer like the anise variations of Absinthe doesn't make me wrong, you might have noticed I recommended a Parisian version as well.

Wurm said:
The Czechs have made absinthe since the 1920s, after the second world war and the fall of the eastern block to communism, production was forced underground, you stating that they only started producing it in the 1900s(sic) is wrong.

most of the absinthe scholars believe that this is a complete fabrication by Randomil Hill in the 1990s, when he 'reintroduced' his false product.

other than the claims by Hill to sell his product, absinthe historians have not found a shred of evidence this ever happened.

absinthe was never banned in czecheslovakia, and there was no need for it to be 'forced underground'.

unlike in switzerland, where it WAS banned, and there have been people making it there clandestine ever since. (which has been widely documented)

please read #17 on the link that i will provide again:

http://www.feeverte.net/faq-absinthe.html#B

Wurm said:
And I've never said I'm an expert, I'll leave that to you, you obviously have drank a lot more of the stuff as I have.

yes, i've had my share, but i would not consider myself an expert. i leave that to the "real" experts.

Wurm said:
Just because I  no longer like the anise variations of Absinthe doesn't make me wrong, you might have noticed I recommended a Parisian version as well.
[snapback]289494[/snapback]​

what i'm telling you is that there is NO non-anise absinthe.
if there is no anise in it, it's NOT absinthe.

kinda like saying "can i have some of that wine that doesn't taste like grapes?"

edit:

please read #6 & #7 on the link that i will provide again:

celt said:
Wurm said:
The Czechs have made absinthe since the 1920s, after the second world war and the fall of the eastern block to communism, production was forced underground, you stating that they only started producing it in the 1900s(sic) is wrong.

most of the absinthe scholars believe that this is a complete fabrication by Randomil Hill in the 1990s, when he 'reintroduced' his false product.

other than the claims by Hill to sell his product, absinthe historians have not found a shred of evidence this ever happened.

absinthe was never banned in Czechoslovakia, and there was no need for it to be 'forced underground'.

unlike in Switzerland, where it WAS banned, and there have been people making it there clandestine ever since. (which has been widely documented)

Wurm said:

yes, I've had my share, but i would not consider myself an expert. i leave that to the "real" experts.

Wurm said:
Just because I  no longer like the anise variations of Absinthe doesn't make me wrong, you might have noticed I recommended a Parisian version as well.
[snapback]289494[/snapback]​

what I'm telling you is that there is NO non-anise absinthe.
if there is no anise in it, it's NOT absinthe.

kinda like saying "can i have some of that wine that doesn't taste like grapes?"

edit:

please read #17 on the link that i will provide again:

[snapback]289500[/snapback]​

BOHEMIA used to be Germany... and there is history of it being produced there since 1919 or 1920. I can also provide dozens of links that back up my point of view on the subject.

1) I agree that 99% of the Czech made absinthe is swill. La Fée Bohemian is produced in France and isn't a bad tasting absinthe even though it has very little anise in it.

2) Thujone IS a drug, I agree with you that in the amounts present in the bottle it does nothing to the drinker except maybe a placebo effect. "John WANTED to see purple elephants after drinking absinthe so he did."

3) I've had both styles, and a lot of brands from different countries. Like I stated before, I burnt myself out on licorice/anise flavored drinks during the 80s swilling Ouzo (the other drink that has rumors of drugs being in it) and Sambuca so I prefer Bohemian style Absinthe now when I do partake. And no I've never seen "green fairies" or anything else for that matter.

There is no need for us to argue about this, as you stated before this comes down to personal taste and no I don't like Phillies or MD 20/20 either.

Wurm said:
BOHEMIA used to be Germany... and there is history of it being produced there since 1919 or 1920. I can also provide dozens of links that back up my point of view on the subject.

please provide dozens of links that aren't trying to sell you 'absinth'. actual historical info.

Wurm said:
1) I agree that 99% of the Czech made absinthe is swill. La Fée Bohemian is produced in France and isn't a bad tasting absinthe even though it has very little anise in it.

La Fee Bohemian is not produced in France. and they do not claim that it is.

Wurm said:
2) Thujone IS a drug, I agree with you that in the amounts present in the bottle it does nothing to the drinker except maybe a placebo effect. "John WANTED to see purple elephants after drinking absinthe so he did."

while it is considered a 'drug', it can be found in many food additives and flavorings. it can also be found in Vicks Vaporub and in the herb Sage. it's not at all what people think it is.

3) I've had both styles, and a lot of brands from different countries. Like I stated before, I burnt myself out on licorice/anise flavored drinks during the 80s swilling Ouzo (the other drink that has rumors of drugs being in it) and Sambuca so I prefer Bohemian style Absinthe now when I do partake. And no I've never seen "green fairies" or anything else for that matter.

i still maintain that 'bohemian style absinthe' is not Absinthe

There is no need for us to argue about this, as you stated before this comes down to personal taste and no I don't like Phillies or MD 20/20 either.

i'm not trying to agrue, per se. i am basically trying to quell the misinformation that's strewn all over the web.

think of it this way:

if you bought some of those 'glass top' fake cubans, wouldn't you want somebody to let you know you've been had?

LOL glass top Cohiba have nothing to do with this.

I and many others think the Bohemian style is Absinthe or Absinth as you would have it. I am also guessing you do not regard the Spanish Absenta and the Italian Assenzio as true Absinthes.

And just because the purists regard all Eastern European Absinth(e) as not worthy of the name, there are a few good ones out there. Including La Fee Bohemian (since it doesn't state on the La Fee website that it is also made in France, I'm sure you are correct that its from Czech).

Wurm said:
I and many others think the Bohemian style is Absinthe or Absinth as you would have it. I am also guessing you do not regard the Spanish Absenta and the Italian Assenzio as true Absinthes.

you are missing my point entirely.

some of the spanish Absenta actually IS absinthe. it's not about WHO is making it, it's HOW it's made. let me put it this way - there are probably 10 bottles of spanish to the one czech that are actually Absinthe. I'm not even talking GOOD, DISTILLED absinthe. i'm simply talking about the CORRECT INGREDIENTS.

it is WIDELY believed by absinteurs that 'bohemian absinth' was invented by Hills in the 90's. most of the other czech brands that sprouted up to join in on cashing in on this new absinthe rennaisance knew NOTHING about TRUE absinthe. they just saw Hills making a killing off of morons, and knew if they slapped an 'absinth' label on something colored green or blue-green, people would buy it.

THAT'S why most czech brands are not absinthe...not because they are czech, but because they are just marketing crap to sell to people who are ignorant to what absinthe was/is.

it just HAPPENS to be that they are czech.

for the record, i had ONE czech absinth that actually WAS absinthe. it wasn't great, but at least it had the correct ingredients.

so, when a person who actually knows absinthe says stay away from czech absinthe, they are not anti-czech, they are merely trying to make it easier for noobs to not get taken.

why risk buying 20 bottles of non-absinthe czech crap to find the one bottle that is made correctly?

that's what i'm trying to get across here.

i haven't HAD La Fee Bohemian, simply because their 'Parisian' absinthe isn't really that good to begin with...so why would i want to waste my money on their interpretation of 'fake' absinthe?

I'm not missing your point...

Hills is swill, this we both agree on.

I however like Bohemian style, and I have access to both it and the French and Swiss Absinthe. I drink the Bohemian because I don't like the strong anise taste.

When I do feel like a shot of strong anise I drink Logan Fils from Switzerland.

Its all a matter of taste.

Logan Fils is widely believed to be Czech.

(the manufacturer refuses to disclose origin)

OK, so celt, if someone wants to try te best REAL absinth(e) out there, and are somewhere that it is legally available, what would you recommend, if cost was no factor?
I do understand that tastes differ, etc, but give me the two sentence answer, please.

celt said:
Logan Fils is widely believed to be Czech.

(the manufacturer refuses to disclose origin)
[snapback]289551[/snapback]​

Could be, it does say "hergestellt in der Schweiz" (Made in Switzerland) on the bottle, but then again so do all the watches I get spam about every day. :D

I've also had Kubler, that I'm 100% sure is Swiss. Its probably the best Absinthe I've had but was too expensive for me to buy a bottle when I had a chance.

Could you both take 4 or 5 shots and start again, it will up the entertainment factor.

AVB said:
Could you both take 4 or 5 shots and start again, it will up the entertainment factor.
[snapback]289567[/snapback]​

If I didn't have to work tomorrow! :thumbs: :laugh:

Wurm - Kubler's pretty decent stuff. Years ago, it was good, but had this odd hint of funkiness to it. I've heard that they've since remedied that, and that It's very good. I have yet to try the newer recipe.

AVB - you aren't supposed to do shots. You pour some in a glass, then pour ice cold water over the top. Some people also like to have a cube of sugar that they pour the water over into the glass, using a slotted spoon.
P.S. I have to work tomorrow too, so I guess you get the boring version of me :D

Smokelaw - your best bet as a novice would be to go here and buy one of that Jades: http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Jade.html

Most people agree that they are one of the, if not the best comercial offerings out there. They're NOT cheap by any means, though.

That website also carried  Clandestine 'La Bleue' Swiss absinthe, which is also very good. They(Liqueurs de France) are the best online source for commercial absinthe, hands down. They can be pricier, but you definitely get what you pay for. Their service is the best in the business, and they carry great products. Just about everyone who is eserious about Absinthe has used them at one time or another.
:thumbs:

Thanks, those are the ones that will make me trip my balls off, right?

Just kidding. Thanks for the good info.

NorCalCigarLover said:
Sounds like it might be time for an absinthe Face-off?! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:cool:
[snapback]292152[/snapback]​

LOL no thanks, I don't like the stuff that much :p :laugh:

What celt said, with regard to the Jade Liqueurs absinthes. If you've got money to burn, this stuff is the best around.