• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Active and Beads for Wineador Humidification

capecodder

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Starting a wineador build. Used credit card reward points to pick up a Newair281E. From everything that I've read up on, this seems to be the standard starter wine cooler that most people use for a wineador project. I've got it in the house and set it up, its been sitting for about a week now with newspapers in it to try and disolve the plastic odors:

gallery_20274_1955_225650.jpg

One of the main reasons for me to go the wine cooler route  besides needing more space, is I've had a lot of issues with maintaing a low enough humidity in the humidor in the summer, as well as keeping my sticks cool. It was tough to keep the humidity below 72-75% with anything I tried. In the summer we have over 80% humidity most of the time (live near the ocean) and the temps in the house can range from 70-85 or higher depending on weather. So you can see my reason with going to a wine cooler set up. I'm going to get an order together for custom shelves within the next few weeks, that'll be another post. 

After much research, and looking through old posts on this forum I think I'm going to go with an active humidifier as well as HF beads. I know most of you will now tell me that beads are all i need, and the active is overkill etc. The reasoning for both is I dont wan't to go through the trouble of constant monitoring and adjustments with the beads. If i were to leave the humidor alone for a few weeks with the active humidifier I would be more comfortable knowing the humidor will maintain the desired climate. The reason for supplementing an active humidifier with beads is to absorb excess humidity in the summer months if it became an issue, and to help circulate the humidity through the entire cabinet.

So these are the questions where i need some advice:
-For those who have done both, how much of the beads do you use, and where/how have you placed them? I'm thinking splitting up 1/2-1lb into a few bags or trays and placing one on bottom, one on middle shelf and once close to the top.
-And I've been looking at the cigar oasis humidifiers, question is XL/Xcel, or XL Plus? Would the Plus be overkill for this size? I'm coming up with 6.5CF and according to cigar oasis the XL only is good up to 4cf?

Thanks!

I've been seeing more and more people (on this forum and others) using both active humidification and beads. I'd go for it.

I thought that beads were all I was gonna need and I've been singing the ""Crazy Rh swing blues" ever  since. Of course my winadore is compressor-cooled so it's not the same thing.

I haven't used active humidification yet but I would think that your placement idea should work fine.

One of the main reasons I went with beads is because I've read a lot of negative things about the $1150-$180 units and I just didn't have the money to get the $300 units
I would get a unit hat's capable of humidifying a little more than what you actually need but that's just me.

I had really good results using white vinegar to get rid of the plastic smell in my wineadore. Just make sure you rinse it out well with distilled water to get rid of the vinegar smell.

Beautiful unit! I have a 280e that is currently not in use, but I used both beads and Boveda packs. Until a few weeks ago I was unaware that NewAir is making these units specifically for Wineadors now. The biggest change is the cooler, it goes up to 73-74 degrees which is nice. I do wish they would have added another fan though. Any thoughts on these new units?

I am usually active and beads now because of exactly what you said about swings. I like it so far but make sure you have a fan or two

CBoukal said:
I am usually active and beads now because of exactly what you said about swings. I like it so far but make sure you have a fan or two
Do the cigar oasis units still have a port for an additional fan?

capecodder said:

Do the cigar oasis units still have a port for an additional fan?

I don't think so.
The Hydra LG does and I'm pretty sure the Humi-care XG1000 does also