• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

AF 858 Sungrown

Txrayngers

Well, I'm in the process of smoking my first 858 sungrown. I've heard good things about these, so I had to give it a try.

Cost: $6.35

Drink: n/a

Appearance: the cigar came out of the box with Fuentes signature cedar wrapper. Upon removing the wrapper I was greeted with a fairly veiny wrapper. Not exactly what I was expecting here. That being said, went and gave it a clip, so off we go. 6/10

Light: went and used the cedar wrapper to get this up and going. Had a hell of a time getting it to fully light up. I'm thinking I may have had a moist spot. Once it got going I was greeted with a rather smooth, semi sweet earthy smoke. It had great balance. I'm thoroughly impressed after a disappointing appearance and initial light. 7/10

2nd third: the complexity is really starting now. I can say now, that I am definitely smoking a sun grown. The spice is really starting up now. Every now and then though I'm picking up notes of mocha, and even a little woodsy flavor. Other than a stale section lasting a couple drags, I'm very happy. If it wasn't for a burn issue, my rating would be a bit higher. 7/10

Final third: things have really mellowed out, a bit to my surprise. I'm enjoying a sweet mocha flavor similar to the first third. The burn issue has pretty well corrected itself, so that's never a bad thing. Overall I'm pretty happy with this. It went down to about an inch and a half before I had to hit the road. 8/10

overall I'd say I ALMOST hot what I had expected. From hearing what others have said, I'm mildly disappointed, BUT with the price being a mere $7 taxed I'm quite happy. Overall I give it a 7.5/10. Would I buy another, absolutely. Fiver, maybe. Would I splurge on a box, not so much.

Hope this review went alright, it's my first honest effort diving back into this.

Nice review on a stick I've really enjoyed so far. Love the sungrown wrapper that gives it a nice kick. Thanks for the review!

Nice review on a stick I've really enjoyed so far. Love the sungrown wrapper that gives it a nice kick. Thanks for the review!

Not a problem, I look forward to doing a few more of these. I usually smoke at my local B&M, so its pretty easy to keep notes and post as I go with the help of my phone.

Wonderful review man, I'd love to here what you think of an Ashton VSG

Next time let it age a year or two. They really develop into nice smokes with some age.

Wonderful review man, I'd love to here what you think of an Ashton VSG

maybe I'll knock out a VSG for ya tonight.

Next time let it age a year or two. They really develop into nice smokes with some age.

I'll probably grab a couple more. One to try again soon, and one to lay to rest for a while. I can see where the potential is in this

$6.35, is that what you paid for an individual stick at a B&M? We would pay about twice that in MN. :(

$6.35, is that what you paid for an individual stick at a B&M? We would pay about twice that in MN. :(

wow... That's hefty. Explains why Fuentes can get up there on the likes of CBid. Guess you've gotta love tax free Florida.

VSG review is coming tonight. Weather decided to be not so pleasant tonight. 60F will be perfect. Any suggestions on a certain vitola to try?

I pay about 4 :(
You oughta buy them out! That's $100 for a box of AF 858 SGs.

Great review! :thumbs:

Fuente rarely disappoints but the wrappers have suffered lately. I'm wondering if difficulty with keeping up with demand might make it difficult to supply the wrapper consistently.

Does AF make a bad smoke? I could smoke nothing but AF for the rest of my life and I would be okay with that.......