• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

AF Anejo No. 46

Breedy

Busted
Being sort nice for late October in Ohio, I decide to fix the siding on my garage and do some general chores around the yard the other day. My wife was playing hookey from work and her and my daughter were busy making pumpkin cookies. My goal was to finish my tasks and enjoy an afternoon smoke while they both napped.

Cigar: Anejo No. 46 5.625 x 46

Since my daughter and wife decide to take a nap I had some alone time and decide to smoke something a little nicer to enjoy a pleasant afternoon. Eager to relax I decided to skip lunch, yes this is fore-shadowing.

Pre-light; Wrapper was perfectly dark and had a subtle texture to it. Well constructed with no soft spots or large veins. A quick snip and pre-light draw was somewhere between sweet cocoa and leather.

Cigarreview045.jpg

First-Third: A toast of the foot and we were off and running...coughing??? Initial puff or two were extremely harsh. I have not smoked a ton of Anejos, but the few that I have were never like this. I decide to purge and give it one more shot, things quickly settled down.

Cigarreview046.jpg

After about 10 minutes cigar was smoking like a champ, tons of smokes and flavor as well. I detected leather/earthy notes with a moderate amount of sweetness. Draw was just about perfect.

Cigarreview048.jpg

Those flavors stated to about the halfway point and then a roast coffee and cocoa took over. Cigar burned well, and I was really enjoying the low 60's temps and my Siberian Night beer. The cigar started to heat up a little bit at this point, but I continued to smoke it to the nub.

Cigarreview050.jpg

Having killed an hour and half or so I decide it was time to make lunch. As I went in side I was struck with the urge to sit down. Sitting quickly turned into cold sweats and the need for crackers. Not much was helping so I went horizontal. Sprawled out on the couch I closed my eyes trying to figure out what happened. I am talking full on buzz; light headed, tummy churning, green looking, dead fish buzz.

After some time the nausea passed, I counted my blessings for not yarping and made a note on tasting card to "eat before smoking."

:laugh: Nice review! Thanks for being man enough to admit having your ass handed to you by an innocent looking Anejo.

We've all been there before at one time or another brother, and learned that lesson. I remember laying on the bed one night with the room spinning, groaning at my wife.................."Just leave me alone, don't touch me, don't try to take my clothes off, just leave me alone!" :laugh:

Anejos are extremely difficult to find in my neck of the woods. I have little experience with them but what experience I have had shows me that these are first class cigars. Great flavors, great draw, great nicotine delivery.

Since these are too strong for you weak Northern Ohio folks, why don't you ship them south to me and I will see to it that they are properly handled! :thumbs:

Great review!

Anejos are extremely difficult to find in my neck of the woods. I have little experience with them but what experience I have had shows me that these are first class cigars. Great flavors, great draw, great nicotine delivery.

Since these are too strong for you weak Northern Ohio folks, why don't you ship them south to me and I will see to it that they are properly handled! :thumbs:

Great review!

Nice review! :thumbs:

I knew Stu would be trying to schlep some Anejo's when I saw the thread title. :whistling:

Great review and awesome pics! Been there done that with the sickness, kind of like sloe gin...it sneaks up on ya!

Great review Breedy! My favorite cigar and yes, these will rough you up. Do not underestimate these power of the Anejo. These smoke better young unlike the Opus. I am not sure why but this has been my experience.

The same thing happened to me the last time I smoked a fresh Añejo.

Thanks for that! Honest and forthright.

I've been doing my fair share of 'stocking up' on anejos lately due to their reputation. I have yet to have one...basically b/c Im chicken sh*t and fear that my world will be rocked despite eating a huge meal ahead of time. Do you guys still get the sickness when you eat a big meal before hand? Yes I'm sorry, I have my skirt on. :sign:

Edit to add: Reason I'm stocking up is so that I can age some of them. I've heard that these settle down a lot like the Opus do w/ age.

I've been doing my fair share of 'stocking up' on anejos lately due to their reputation. I have yet to have one...basically b/c Im chicken sh*t and fear that my world will be rocked despite eating a huge meal ahead of time. Do you guys still get the sickness when you eat a big meal before hand? Yes I'm sorry, I have my skirt on. :sign:

Edit to add: Reason I'm stocking up is so that I can age some of them. I've heard that these settle down a lot like the Opus do w/ age.

I recently enjoyed a #55 this past weekend with Lkyman and Gregor22 and we all noticed the change that the three years of aging did to the Anejo. It was very medium and smooth with great flavor, always a favorite of mine.

Nice review. The 46 was the first Anejo I ever smoked and thoroughly enjoyed it. Don't forget to drink/eat something with sugar in it to offset the sickness if you feel it coming on!

At the Philly herf yesterday I smoked my 2nd Anejo ever, the 77 Shark and it was fantastic... now I know why everyone makes a big deal about these.

:laugh: .. nice review! Gotta appreciate the honesty. I love the 46's.... so much so that I recently snatched up a box. My favorite right now though is definitely the #55's.

Good review. I have never really become enamored with the Anejo. As luck would have it, I've only ever found two sizes; a Robusto, and a churchill size. I wonder how much the flavor profile changes between the differant Vitolas?
Two fo the local B&M's get these every year. They usually sit for at least a week or two at one of them. I suppose I'll try to stock up, and
make a real effort to capture the essence of these.

I'll keep you in mind, Stu :whistling:

Great review for my favorite Anejo.

I have never been kicked by any Anejo, Opus, yes but not Anejo.

Brian

Too true review! Gotta watch out for them.

I think they are better older than newer I have smoked a few new ones and they are not as smooth as some with age. The first one I smoked was smooth and creamy. I shared it with a good friend. Rest assured more often than not if I smoke one alone I have a heck of a buzz......I thought it was cause I am a girl.

Beth

Nice review. The 46 was the first Anejo I ever smoked and thoroughly enjoyed it. Don't forget to drink/eat something with sugar in it to offset the sickness if you feel it coming on!
At the Philly herf yesterday I smoked my 2nd Anejo ever, the 77 Shark and it was fantastic... now I know why everyone makes a big deal about these.

That the thing, I snuck up on me. I was just enjoying the afternoon with one short phone call about some window replacements. Feeling good until I got up and went in side, then bam.

Short breaths, focus, need crackers and water, sit down, sweaty, don't puke, this ain't good, wtf, better go lay down....

You all get the drift :rolleyes:

Great review for my favorite Anejo.

I have never been kicked by any Anejo, Opus, yes but not Anejo.

Brian
X2 on that Brian. Never had a problem with the Anejos, but had my a$$ kicked a couple of times by an Opus.

That the thing, I snuck up on me. I was just enjoying the afternoon with one short phone call about some window replacements. Feeling good until I got up and went in side, then bam.

Short breaths, focus, need crackers and water, sit down, sweaty, don't puke, this ain't good, wtf, better go lay down....

You all get the drift :rolleyes:

ROTFLMAO. That is a damn funny description :laugh: :laugh:

Had a recent encounter with an Oliva Serie V Maduro that was similar !!