• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aged Cigars

Not the oldest right now, but I have a box of Tatuaje Havana Cazadores still sealed up in the foil that I'm trying not to touch until they're ten years old. They're getting close to 5 years old now.

I've restricted my collection to about 150 sticks so aging is tough. I do have a few that are about 1.5 years old, but only because they are highly cherished gifts and I'm waiting for the right moment... but like Mr. Peat, all my cigars are on the "smoke now" list and I dislike buying cigars for the purpose of aging them. Thats why I love those Padron 45's and 46's... pre aged from the factory. Perfect.

My Montecristo Cabinet Selection has offically been in my humidor for a month! haha. has anyone tried one of these aged, or any monte's aged?

Not the oldest right now, but I have a box of Tatuaje Havana Cazadores still sealed up in the foil that I'm trying not to touch until they're ten years old. They're getting close to 5 years old now.

Something to ponder. What happens if that box is the unlucky victim of Tobacco Beetles. You will never know it till you at least open it up. Thus I open every box that goes into my humidor. I remember an incident at the Outlaw Cigar Shop. The owner claimed one of the Hemingway maduro boxes and it was never opened. Many years later it was and the bad news was that the box wasn't maduros. But it was to late to get it corrected. Also something to think about. Not to burst the bubble but things do happen out of our control.

I box a box of AF Cuban Belicoso's and 15 of the 24 cigars was ruined. If I would have sat on them and not opened them, I'd have been screwed. :p

I have a smallish desktop humidor and a cooler. I don't age with intent, but do have some oldish sticks. Being a fair weather smoker, depending on the weather, and how busy work keeps me, there are some years I buy way more than I have occasion to enjoy. This is one of those years. With winter fast approaching, I will unintentionally age everything I own just a little longer.

The longest aged cigars are those that I bought in quantity, or those that were gifted, and for which I'm simply awaiting a time when I can give them proper attention. Most likely the oldest I have are 5 or so years old and those are a few Opus X and RyJ

I have a box of Mag 46s with an Oct 08 date code (but I only acquired them a month or so ago). I have a box of Monte No. 4 that with an Aug 10 date code that I have had in the cooler since May. Those are problem the smokes that I have had in my possession the longest.

Something to ponder. What happens if that box is the unlucky victim of Tobacco Beetles. You will never know it till you at least open it up. Thus I open every box that goes into my humidor. I remember an incident at the Outlaw Cigar Shop. The owner claimed one of the Hemingway maduro boxes and it was never opened. Many years later it was and the bad news was that the box wasn't maduros. But it was to late to get it corrected. Also something to think about. Not to burst the bubble but things do happen out of our control.

I box a box of AF Cuban Belicoso's and 15 of the 24 cigars was ruined. If I would have sat on them and not opened them, I'd have been screwed. :p

Don't jinx me now! :angry: :laugh:

I personally keep my humis in the 65% range and the house never gets over 70 degrees, usually in the mid to high 60's. Beetles historically only seem to hatch when it's over 70 degrees and/or over 70% humidity.

It was already a year or two old from the B&M I bought from (Eight to Eight Tobacco....great shop near Villa Park, IL I used to drive out to when I still lived in Chicago), which seemed to have their humidity and temp just right. Most cigar shops seem too humid to me, and Eight to Eight was one of the few that I could smoke a cigar bought on the spot without it seeming overly humidified.

I'll take the chance and leave them undisturbed. I really want to see if aging in the foil enhances them like the MRN book and other authorities claim.

The oldest sticks I've had are from a full box of Rafael Gonzalez Coronas Extra from 2000 that I picked up from the BST forum a couple of years ago. I knew the story about 99-01 CCs but at $4 a stick I couldn't pass it up. I only have one or two left and only a couple were almost unsmokable. Most would probably have tossed them but I worried through them. :) But boy the half or so that had a nice draw were awesome. :thumbs:

Its not a jinx. Just a simple fact. I've aged my CFCF cigars in and out of the coffins. If my memory serves they tasted better in the coffins. But I can open them up at any time to monitor how they are doing over time. I just can't afford aging any box unopened. Seen to many train wreck photos of unopened boxes that will keep me from doing that. :p

I do have cigars from 1999 to present. Of course its Fuente products that I know that age well. I fired up some 858 SG's that was from like 2002 or so. I had 3 of them and I'm glad I did because these sticks went past their aging date. I was kinda shocked as I've had older ones that tasted better than these. Or it could have been my taste buds have changed due to my sinus pill and spray that I am on. Even my Opus X seem different to me. :laugh:

Its not a jinx. Just a simple fact. I've aged my CFCF cigars in and out of the coffins. If my memory serves they tasted better in the coffins. But I can open them up at any time to monitor how they are doing over time. I just can't afford aging any box unopened. Seen to many train wreck photos of unopened boxes that will keep me from doing that. :p

I do have cigars from 1999 to present. Of course its Fuente products that I know that age well. I fired up some 858 SG's that was from like 2002 or so. I had 3 of them and I'm glad I did because these sticks went past their aging date. I was kinda shocked as I've had older ones that tasted better than these. Or it could have been my taste buds have changed due to my sinus pill and spray that I am on. Even my Opus X seem different to me. :laugh:

Oh yeah, every other box I've got, I've opened it and check it out every so often, just to make sure for the stuff I'm trying to age. We'll see in another five years, we'll see how they turn out. Fingers crossed!

Basically, I buy a lot of petites and and some very tasty american machine mades, which frees me up to buy and age a lot of singles.
But I am aging a box of Padron Corticos, Tatuaje Cazadores, and I have a box of El Rico Habano's from 2007.

I am one of those smokers that pretty much always favors an aged cigar to a fresh cigar. That isn't to say I won't smoke a fresh cigar, I just prefer the aged profile more. I don't have the resources to age everything though. Cigars that I do age tend to be ISOMs, Padron, OpusX and Anejos.

I have an ISOM Monte I have had for just over a year. I want to smoke it, but I keep waiting for just that special event. I guess if I keep up with that logic, it and I will be too old to enjoy it. :D