• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aging Cigars

Depends on what you start with. If the cigar is crap then aging it just makes it old crap.

Certain cigars are better with age but a lot has to do with your own taste.

DG

well I guess it depends on what kind of cigar, a Philly will never get better, however a friend bough some pipe tobacco cigars, when they were fresh they were disgusting, so he forgot about them in his humi, after several years they were actually smoke able, so I’m going to say generally age helps.

just like computers...garbage in...garbage out. i would say, most mid to high domestics and isoms, when stored properly, do get better with age. i have some cohiba esplendidos that are 3yr old and were good going into my humidor, i can only imagine after a few more years.

Ive honestly never had a cigar that didnt get better with age...ESPECIALLY alot of premium cubans. When i buy a box of cigars, i try to save at least 5 out of each box to tuck them away to try them a year or so down the road. Im just now starting to get into some of my older padrons, romeo y julietas and a couple other brands...they all smoke substantially better then when i bought the box's.

only ever smoked 1 cigar that was aged, an original release Punch RC, but it was descent. The flavors definately change. AS a rule, thicker ring gauge, the longer it needs to age, because of the diffrent tobacco blends....more there to age. Also, taking cigars out of the cello makes them age quicker. Find a box you like and age it. if you prefer a $4 Punch over a $10 opus, buy a box of the punch and stick em away for a while!

As a general rule cigars do improve with age. To each his own though because many prefer freshies.

I think it depends on both the cigar that is being aged and the preference in flavor profiles of the smoker. Some people just don't have a refined palette to throughly enjoy the nuances of an aged smoke, so they prefer the fresh punchiness of a young smoke.

It's a lot like wines, IMHO.

I've never been lucky enough to enjoy aged cigars. Never had a stash large enough to allow such endeavors. But I now plan on having enough cigars to be able to regularly smoke aged cigars. Will take a few years to accumulate/age but from what I hear it truly can't hurt unless you go way too long. And what way too long is depends on the cigar/region it comes from. The best way to go is to buy boxes and keep out maybe 5 for regular rotation and stash the other 20. That way you get the best of both worlds; a smoke for next Tuesday and something to look forward to Tuesday 2008.

Jason

Firstoff, the lobby is the wrong forum for this thread. I say this because when doing a search, it is easier to confine a search to one forum (less responses) than all forums (more false hits).

Second, ageing will allow the flavors to mellow and blend.THis usually is good. But some people like cigars that taste yong. If I remember correctly, MattR swears by Opus young. I love the Brazilia line young, not aged. So a blanket statement like that is false, even among premium cigars.

Emo

My Opinion, cigars with age lose some of the kick that you can get when they are young. I've smoked a few from some botl's with 5+ years on them and have found most to be rather boring. So I'll chalk this up as no, not all cigars are better with age, and the cigars I do plan on keeping around for a while are some of those really strong ones that just need to mellow out a bit. To each his own as they say.

emodx said:
Firstoff, the lobby is the wrong forum for this thread. I say this because when doing a search, it is easier to confine a search to one forum (less responses) than all forums (more false hits).

Emo
[snapback]274676[/snapback]​

yeah, sorry about that. I kinda thought about it after I posted it.

Most cigars benefit from some type of aging while others do not.

I age all of my Cuban cigars, some 2-3 years others 5 plus years. With Cuban cigars they can and do get stronger with age.

Non Cubans can get weaker with age and therefore may not be what someone is looking for in the strength department. Hemingways from Fuente in my opinion do not age that well. I prefer them fresh as opposed to aged. I also like Diamond Crown Naturals and Padron Anniversary Maduros fresh.

The Master said:
Most cigars benefit from some type of aging while others do not.

I age all of my Cuban cigars, some 2-3 years others 5 plus years. With Cuban cigars they can and do get stronger with age.

Non Cubans can get weaker with age and therefore may not be what someone is looking for in the strength department. Hemingways from Fuente in my opinion do not age that well. I prefer them fresh as opposed to aged. I also like Diamond Crown Naturals and Padron Anniversary Maduros fresh.
[snapback]275021[/snapback]​

I agree about the Hemingways. I bought a box of the Short Stories and after about two years they were definitely not as good.

I have had a box of Padron 3K for over a year. I smoke them infrequently, however, each one is getting better than the last one. Not sure about others, smoke them too fast.

smokegetsinyoureyes said:
I have had a box of Padron 3K for over a year. I smoke them infrequently, however, each one is getting better than the last one. Not sure about others, smoke them too fast.
[snapback]275145[/snapback]​

The thousand series Padrons are probably one of my favorite budget friendly sticks to age. After about 10-12 months they begin to develop into a super premium cigar IMO. My favorite is the 2000.

jabba said:
I have had a box of Padron 3K for over a year.  I smoke them infrequently, however, each one is getting better than the last one.  Not sure about others, smoke them too fast.

The thousand series Padrons are probably one of my favorite budget friendly sticks to age. After about 10-12 months they begin to develop into a super premium cigar IMO. My favorite is the 2000.
[snapback]275161[/snapback]​
I second this. It reminds me of Cubans in a way. They taste young and green right out of the box. As they age, they turn into a very nice cigar!

Emo

emodx said:
jabba said:

[snapback]275161[/snapback]​
I second this. It reminds me of Cubans in a way. They taste young and green right out of the box. As they age, they turn into a very nice cigar!

Emo
[snapback]275728[/snapback]​

Third it! :D

Bought two boxes of 2000's to tuck away for a couple years last month.

jabba, I can't find the thread where we were discussing how long Padron ages their cigars. My buddy got back to me and he said 30-90 days is all.