• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aging in a glass tube

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Sorry if this is old news, search seems to be non-functional.

I have been told that once a cigar goes into a glass tube, aging is done. So should a cigar in a glass tube be removed for continued aging?

I have gotten my hands on a few very nice aged cigars in glass tubes which I do not intend to smoke for a while so the question is whether or not to remove them for continued aging or were they placed in the tubes at their optimum age for smoking? One example.....FFOX Lancero 2005

My understanding is that they just age slower. I can't believe the caps are airtight, plus I open mine once in a while to take in the great aroma.

Unless your planning on gifting it - take it out of the tube and age it like any other cigar. Keep the tube for fond memories or flyfishing lures if they'll fit. :)

Oh by the way Jeff, I dropped the one we traded for and broke the tube!

Psych!

So cello or no cello? :sign:

I have been told that once a cigar goes into a glass tube, aging is done. So should a cigar in a glass tube be removed for continued aging?

I don't think time grinds to a stand-still inside of a tube of glass :)

Lets ask this guy:
austin_powers.jpg

If you're that worried about it Jeff, drill a few holes in the plastic cap and place it back on. That should allow the air exchange you are worried about. Then you still get to keep that pretty, protective glass tube you love so much. :cool:

You got skills!

You never heard the Jim Croce song "No time in a bottle"

I'm for leaving them as they were meant to be, why put them there in the first place?

Brian

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I can tell there are two primary forms of aging.

1. The breakdown of different components within the tobacco. As the cigar ages certain compounds found within the tobacco breakdown, this is why some cigars go through a "sick period"

2. The transfer of oils between tobacco. My understanding is that as a cigar ages the oils in the different tobaccos mix together and change the flavor of the cigar. This is how plume forms (oils rise to the wrapper). This is also how different types of cigars when stored in close proximity to each other can acquire flavors from one another. At the same time some cigars when aged for many years can be rather boring and have no variation in flavor (by many I'm talking multiple decades)

I'm guessing if kept in a sealed glass tube the first kind of aging will be limited. Without the exchange of gases my guess is that the breakdown of compounds will be minimal.

As far as the transfer of oils in a sealed glass tube, I believe this should be able to continue, perhaps not as quickly as if there was no tube but it should continue.

Again, I could be very wrong on my thoughts. If anybody has any idea otherwise please let me know.

I put some of my rarer sticks in glass tubes

They look soooo sexy :blush:

I never can understand why people want to remove cigars from the packaging of which they bought them in. Particularly if they have any degree of appreciable age to them. Two questions then immediately come to my mind when I hear/read of these queries:

Why did the person purchase the cigar in that presentation to begin with if they can't wait to toss/alter their packaging?

and

By an extension of this rationale, if the person had stumbled onto a box of significantly aged (vintage) cigars contained in such a presentation, does that mean they would turn their nose at them as improperly stored and not purchase them for that reason (assuming they are not nosebleed priced)?

I never can understand why people want to remove cigars from the packaging of which they bought them in.
It's best to remove the cello and cedar from Anejos because of the mold issue they've had.

I never can understand why people want to remove cigars from the packaging of which they bought them in. Particularly if they have any degree of appreciable age to them. Two questions then immediately come to my mind when I hear/read of these queries:

Why did the person purchase the cigar in that presentation to begin with if they can't wait to toss/alter their packaging?

and

By an extension of this rationale, if the person had stumbled onto a box of significantly aged (vintage) cigars contained in such a presentation, does that mean they would turn their nose at them as improperly stored and not purchase them for that reason (assuming they are not nosebleed priced)?

The question isn't "is it improper to store it in the cello/tube/box?" The question is "for aging what is the best way to store cigars?"

Aging a cigar can take months to years depending on the person and the cigar. If your going to put something away and not touch it for that long don't you want it to be kept in such a way to maximize the benefits of aging?

I believe storing a cigar in the original packaging is almost always fine. But I also believe the original packaging is not always the best way to store a cigar for aging.