• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Alaska cruise

desertcgar

My wife and I are going on an Alaskan cruise in a month. Was just curious if anybody has been,and if so what sights are recommended.

We were on one a couple of years ago. Skagway, Juneau, inside passage. The whole trip was amazing. The train in Skagway was very cool and so was the whale watching. We had great weather and calm seas. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

I worked in Skagway back in the summer of 1998. My wife and I lived in a tent for four months. Like broblues said, the train ride in Skagway was awesome. There's places you can look down in a ravine and see the bones of the dead horses they tossed down when they died on the trail (Skagway was the starting point for the Yukon gold rush). One of the other cool things we did there was a raft tour on a river in Haines (a quick ferry ride from Skagway). We saw a ton of bald eagles.

Have a great cruise!

Eric

I've been on two cruises, one from Adak out to Attu then back to Dutch and the other from Kodiak to Seward. I would personally try to get in a fishing trip. Seward has a small decent exhibit on the seafood industry, and at one of the bars you can get a long island iced tea in a stein. Kodiak is a good place to go hiking and has a small brewery. It should be a lot of fun.

Thanks for the suggestions. We will definately try some of these out. The rafting trip I would love but the wife would freeze to death as she gets cold when the temp drops below 80 where we live. Always up for visiting a brewery so that might be a little sidetrip.

Where are you going? I guess I should have asked earlier. Midnight Sun is in Anchorage and Alaskan is in Juneau. I think there is also a brewery in Homer.

The rafting isn't whitewater style, more of just a lazy float down the river. The water is pretty cold though, so it can get a bit chilly on the river. I'm not sure if it's still around but the place I worked at in Skagway (The Golden North) brewed their own beer. The brewmeister there actually found an old beer recipe from Captain Cook. When he ran out of rum he created a recipe for a spruce tip ale. It was pretty good. They also made a mean barley wine there.

Not sure where you're going in Alaska but like Smokin'Sims said, you should definitely try to get a little fishing in.

naw, the fishing sucks. Better to spend your time looking at all the t-shirts and moose poop swizzle sticks :cool:

not to mention the breweries... too many to choose from, so it would take too long to decide which one to hit. I mean, there are 5+ in Anchorage, 3 in Soldotna, 1 in Homer...better just buy a can of Bud and save the time. :p :p

Seriously tho, where are you going and for how long? Staying in Southeast? Ending in Whittier/Seward/Homer/Anchorage? One Way or return? Makes a bid diff on what you see and do.