• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ALERT: Cigars Shipping with Beetles!

Those are flavor crystals......your lucky they didnt charge ya more for the
enhanced" cigars!

Why would a shop ship something like that? They must know they have a problem. I guess they won't stay in business very long.

You're absolutely correct. Why WOULD a shop ship something like that. They obviously didn't know they had a problem, and because they've been in business for 20 years I believe they haven't had a problem with something like this in the past.

Last year at the Land of Lincoln herf I was gifted a cigar from a BOTL. He opened the outerwrap of the box right in front of my eyes, opened the box and handed me the first cigar. It looked great. A short time later someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I'd gotten one of the cigars. I replied yes, and they suggested I inspect it. I turned the cigar over and there were at least 4 larvae chomping away on the cigar. The cigar was riddled with holes. When I went back to the source, very red-faced, he showed me the contents of the lower layer of cigars. Swiss cheese...

That box of cigars came DIRECT to the guy from a VERY well know manufacturer/distributor as a prize won in a contest. I'm sure it was not sent to him because it was beetle infested and they wanted to pawn it off to some unsuspecting person. Beetles happen...

Bottom line - it can happen to the BEST of us - manufacturers/distributors/stores included...

Why would a shop ship something like that? They must know they have a problem. I guess they won't stay in business very long.

You're absolutely correct. Why WOULD a shop ship something like that. They obviously didn't know they had a problem, and because they've been in business for 20 years I believe they haven't had a problem with something like this in the past.

Last year at the Land of Lincoln herf I was gifted a cigar from a BOTL. He opened the outerwrap of the box right in front of my eyes, opened the box and handed me the first cigar. It looked great. A short time later someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I'd gotten one of the cigars. I replied yes, and they suggested I inspect it. I turned the cigar over and there were at least 4 larvae chomping away on the cigar. The cigar was riddled with holes. When I went back to the source, very red-faced, he showed me the contents of the lower layer of cigars. Swiss cheese...

That box of cigars came DIRECT to the guy from a VERY well know manufacturer/distributor as a prize won in a contest. I'm sure it was not sent to him because it was beetle infested and they wanted to pawn it off to some unsuspecting person. Beetles happen...

Bottom line - it can happen to the BEST of us - manufacturers/distributors/stores included...

george, you got this right on the head, it happens. 2guys has been in business for a long time up here in the northeast, reputable vendor and as wilkey stated, gave him his $$$ back, no questions. as long as a vendor doesn't ignore the problems and corrects, then it becomes a non issue. beetles happen, especially in the warmer months.

Just a quick update on the 2 samplers I purchased.

Received them yesterday. My intention was to send the
package back unopened but I was not at home when UPS delivered.

I decided to open the package expecting the worst. BUT, nothing wrong!
Other than the maduro sticks being very dry, the package obviously
never encountered extreme heat as I assume Wilkey's package did.

Strange though - I am about to light a petite corona up assuming
that there are beetles inside. However, as we all know, many
sticks have the dreaded beetle, maybe that's why they taste so good.

Brian

Did you do the foot tap test? If you don't get the speckly beetle/larvae poop out the bottom of the cigar, you might be ok.

Oh, and they prepare about 200 of these samplers beforehand. So, if there was an infestation prior to shipping, it might well be contained to isolated baggies.

Wilkey

Did you do the foot tap test? If you don't get the speckly beetle/larvae poop out the bottom of the cigar, you might be ok.

Oh, and they prepare about 200 of these samplers beforehand. So, if there was an infestation prior to shipping, it might well be contained to isolated baggies.

Wilkey

Did the test, no other telltale signs, all looks good Wilkey. I have isolated them to be safe.

It would be nice to know if any others were affected to determine if the infestation occurred prior to shipping.

Brian

I just finishing reading through this thread and I see the frustration about this incident. I think it was a class act by David by responding to the needs of his customers. However, IMHO, this is most likely an isolated incident. I was just reading Oneoff's website and it states that the development of this cigar was an organic experiment without the use of chemicals. They only use natural farming methods. So, if this is the case, that means no pesticides were used. There still may be infestations of beetles regardless of the use of pesticides. If no chemicals were used, the incidence of beetle infestation goes up. I may be wrong or far-fetched; however, this seems to be an isolated incident.

Very interesting post, I'm glad 2Guys stepped up and did the right thing. Because its not only about the cigars that were infected, but about what's in your humidor as well, and what potentially could have happened.

Frank