• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

All things coffee

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Thanks to a couple of incredibly generous brothers here, I am now hooked on roasting my own coffee. @jfields John gave me some green coffee beans to roast a while back and @bfreebern Brandon gave me a coffee roaster. After just a couple small batches I am hooked! The darker and oilier, the better!

I have a couple questions:
  1. I'd like some recommendations on places to buy green coffee beans.
  2. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced what I have with coffee and taste buds? I was having a cup of coffee from the beans I roasted and thoroughly enjoying it, I ate something (I honestly can't remember what) and my next sip of coffee was like an explosion of flavors I had not previously tasted. I'm curious why my taste buds were so dead and what made them change so dramatically in 30 seconds? I have always noticed a big difference when switching back and forth between two beers, two cigars, two red wines, etc. I have also noticed that I have never had a refined enough palate to pick up on the things other people say they get from a cigar, beer, or wine. Are my taste bud dead?

Those beans I gave you both came from this place. I bought them on EBay, but here is their website. They were quick to ship and responsive to my inquiries.

My guess to your second point is just the contrast between the two flavors in rapid succession. I think taste buds get "exhausted" with repeated experience of the same flavor, but rapid change will appear more pronounced (in sometimes good or bad ways).

I think of it this way: the first sip of a beer is rarely the same as my last sip due to my taste buds have become acclimated to the beer by the end. But if I alternate sips of the beer and say, wine, the contrast between the two will be more apparent. Just been my experience.

Any coffee roasters out there who can help?

I want to experiment with medium roasts and dark roasts with the same beans to see what flavors come out. I don't want to have multiple degassing canisters on the counter so here's the question.

Can I divide my large canister into two compartments and let some medium roast and dark roast degas together? Or will the flavors marry?

I am no coffee roasting pro but Coffee beans are very susceptible to flavor contamination. I can’t imagine it would be good to put different origins/roasts in the same canister.

Roasting coffee is fun and I really need to get back to it. I'll second Sweet Maria's as a good source for quality beans. What type of roaster are you using? Regardless, it's all about using your senses during the roast. The smell going from grassy/hay to toast, the popping sound of 1st crack, the pause afterwards and that crackle sound of 2nd crack. Now I'm jonesing for a roast! 😄

Update.

I did two distinctly different roasts with the same beans and love the variety in results. I usually roast very dark and oily, but I am also enjoying the medium roast! I put them in Ziploc bags and put them in my degassing canister.

1664467428872.png

Been drinking iron been varieties for the past year. Looking for a change. Any suggestions ?