• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

All things Postal

texasaggie

Need a drink...
This is a post for all things dealing with postage, packaging, mailing tricks, where to get good deals. I've seen some posts in the past scattered around with good links/ideas on things like bubblewrap baggies, pvc pipe mailers, free boxes, good tricks for keeping cigars safe. So post your ideas, for newbies like me, and others. Thanks. :)

i tried to order some boxes and it got to the part where you agree/disagree and after i chose agree it wouldn't load up page how do i get past this
Shawn

They (USPS) have been fiddling with their site for several months now and it's starting to get real aggravating. I usually have the sign in page as the first page to come up and I had to re-register in order to get that to work.

Saw this discussion so I went to the "Store" page and found that boxes and other packaging are no longer listed, just stamps and Cycling team gear!! :angry:

Either everything's still in flux, or they're fazing out the shipping of free boxes. :(

For now, just go to your local PO and grab the sizes you need off the wall dislay;they're free, and no one's ever stopped me from cleaning out a display rack of a given size. :D

One thing that site is good for is the Click-n-Ship page. If you have a reasonably accurate scale, you can print your own Priority postage labels and get free delivery confirmation. Then you just drop your package(s) on the counter and off you go; no standing in lines. (I HATE standing in line, especially at the PO, where noone except me seems to be able to figure out their postage ahead of time or wrap/tape their packages correctly!!!)

psyktek said:
They (USPS) have been fiddling with their site for several months now and it's starting to get real aggravating. I usually have the sign in page as the first page to come up and I had to re-register in order to get that to work.

Saw this discussion so I went to the "Store" page and found that boxes and other packaging are no longer listed, just stamps and Cycling team gear!! :angry:

Either everything's still in flux, or they're fazing out the shipping of free boxes. :(

For now, just go to your local PO and grab the sizes you need off the wall dislay;they're free, and no one's ever stopped me from cleaning out a display rack of a given size. :D
Jeez, I just went to the site, registered, and have all of the boxes, tape, and labels coming to my door. No problemo!

I guess some systems work better than others?

I think the shipping supplies were located in the "purchase postage" section, I clicked on the ones I wanted, and .......vuala! :D

Just tried going back to get the link, and it's broke alright. Sorry, must have been me! :(

VeriPak has some great shipping materials -- I believe I've found the perfect thing for shipping 1-7 cigars in:

ch744.jpg

Prod. No.: 03-0608 -- Reclosable Bubble Cushioning Bags

What's great about it is:

-- It's a sealable bag
-- It's padded
-- It fits perfectly into the "video cassette" sized Priority Mail packages, no additional padding needed

So to ship a few cigars out -- a bomb, trade, whatever -- you just open the bag, drop the cigars in, pop it into the priority mail container, and ship it. Takes a lot of the hassle out of sending cigars out.

No more rummaging around for peanuts, used bubble wrap, old newspapers, etc. to pad your cigars... no more stealing ziplock bags from your kitchen... and they can be re-used by whomever you send them to.

A box of 50 of the 6" x 8" ones cost about $40 -- so it's about 80 cents per mailer -- not bad, especially considering they can probably be re-used for years.

FYI: On USPS website, you get a bigger selection of boxes if you go under business and not personal. It's so hard for me to find the boxes so this is what I do:

Click "All Products and Services" on the blue banner at the top
Scroll down to "P" and click Priority Mail Supplies
Click on Business Products
On the left under "Browse Store" click #2. Priority Mail

If anyone has a simplier way of doing it then let me know. It does take some searching to find the free boxes. They have them well hidden. ;)

moki said:
A box of 50 of the 6" x 8" ones cost about $40 -- so it's about 80 cents per mailer -- not bad, especially considering they can probably be re-used for years.
And you posted this for people that turn the USPS boxes inside out so they don't have to pay $3.85 postage? :sign: :p

Yes, I went there...............again :lookup: