• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Allowing bourbon to open up?

Yep, water does open it up. It is said that limestone or branch water is the way to go for bourbon. Just a couple of drops.
Ok. Newb question here, what is branch water? Cause I’m thinking of setting up a water collector under a tree and I’m second guessing myself.

Ok. Newb question here, what is branch water? Cause I’m thinking of setting up a water collector under a tree and I’m second guessing myself.
Just water. But for bourbon, it’s limestone filtered water.

Well, alright then, time to test this out. .... Hm, can I really sit here and stare at that stupid glass for 30 minutes? Wait, solution! Pour another one in the meantime!

View attachment 39583
:) That's what I did because even though I hate that ethanol burn, I wasn't going to just sit and wonder about that glass I poured.

OK, well, so much for that 30 minutes. (I can't tell the difference, but then, the glass while waiting may have affected my taste buds....)
See if this works for you, it did for me. After the glass has set for 30 minutes, pour a fresh glass and taste them both and see if you see any difference.

Yep, water does open it up. It is said that limestone or branch water is the way to go for bourbon. Just a couple of drops.
How the hell did someone find out that limestone filtered water works best with bourbon? :)

Technically you only need to let it rest on the first pour of the bottle. After that it’s open season.
Maybe it's because I am new to this bourbon thing but I get the ethanol burn in the nose and mouth with every glass regardless of quality and regardless of how long ago the bottle was opened.........it is dramatically reduced if the glass sits for 30 minutes. To me, it's almost like the issue with gasoline burning, it's not the fuel that's burning, it's the vapor. If you pour a wheelbarrow full of gas and light it, it will just be a gentle burn, if you enclose the vapors and light it, you better have a looooooong match!:cool:

An amusing question and one that I am in disagreement with most people on. First, 100 proof bourbon or anything else is already 50% water. Second, Master Distillers do not decide if their product is ready based on chilled glasses, ice cubes, shaking or anything else besides dipping the thief in and then tasting it. Third, anytime you aerate liquor you allow evaporation of alcohol much faster lowering the proof. Fourth, I've been to a few distilleries and have had the pleasure of trying blends both Bourbon and Scotch straight from the Tun in the case of Scotch, or a 1,000 gallon stainless steel tank in the case of one Bourbon distiller. They don't let the product "breathe" either since that changes the profile from what they want. Fifth, There is no correct way to drink anything. Some are just nastier than others but where that line is, is up to you not me or anyone else.

Last edited:
An amusing question and one that I am in disagreement with most people on. First, 100 proof bourbon or anything else is already 50% water. Second, Master Distillers do not decide if their product is ready based on chilled glasses, ice cubes, shaking or anything else besides dipping the thief in and then tasting it. Third, anytime you aerate liquor you allow evaporation of alcohol much faster lowering the proof. Fourth, I've been to a few distilleries and have had the pleasure of trying blends both Bourbon and Scotch straight from the Tun in the case of Scotch, or a 1,000 gallon stainless steel tank in the case of one Bourbon distiller. They don't let the product "breathe" either since that changes the profile from what they want. Fifth, These is no correct way to drink anything. Some are just nastier than others but where that line is is up to you not me or anyone else.
I wondered if you would chime in on this! Glad you did!

All these points make sense except maybe #3, I can't see more than a nanoscopic amount evaporating in the time it takes to breath or to drink it for that matter.

I wondered if you would chime in on this! Glad you did!

All these points make sense except maybe #3, I can't see more than a nanoscopic amount evaporating in the time it takes to breath or to drink it for that matter.

There have been tests done with alcohol in general (which means vodka) testing the shaken not stirred preference and one ounce of 100 proof vodka shaken for 15 seconds will lose 10% of the alcohol. More if you shake longer. I think 10% is a bit high myself because of the liquid that sticks to the shaker adds to the total but even so the loss is noticible. The same principle is the reason the first sip is usually hotter then the second, alcohol rising to the top to evaporate.

If you really want to see what the difference can be take a shot and let is sit overnight and then try it. It'll be nasty - believe me.

There have been tests done with alcohol in general (which means vodka) testing the shaken not stirred preference and one ounce of 100 proof vodka shaken for 15 seconds will lose 10% of the alcohol. More if you shake longer. I think 10% is a bit high myself because of the liquid that sticks to the shaker adds to the total but even so the loss is noticible. The same principle is the reason the first sip is usually hotter then the second, alcohol rising to the top to evaporate.

If you really want to see what the difference can be take a shot and let is sit overnight and then try it. It'll be nasty - believe me.
I don't know if I will go as far as overnight but near the end of my work day, I am going to pour a glass and weigh it on a food scale that is accurate to 1/1000 of an ounce and then weigh it again later and see if there is a measurable difference.

I don't know if I will go as far as overnight but near the end of my work day, I am going to pour a glass and weigh it on a food scale that is accurate to 1/1000 of an ounce and then weigh it again later and see if there is a measurable difference.

That should be interesting although it won't be the same. Losing alcohol by volume is not the same as losing it by weight. While I don't know what if any difference there will be, if any, try to use a glass with straight sides so there is not volume reduction between the surface and the opening.

1/1000 of an ounce? Jeez, I'm so behind the times mine is only 1/100.

I vaguely remember you explaining the difference between ABV vs ABW but that was a hundred years ago. From an engineering standpoint I can see how they would differ because the alcohol would evaporate at a much faster rate than the water thereby having less of an effect on the ABW than on the ABV.

The pic makes the glass look odd but it has virtually straight walls.

Bourbon evap test.jpg

1614713022629.png

Bourbon evap test.jpg

1614716207637.png

1614716323681.png

So:
  1. In 30 minutes the 43% bourbon lost 8 1/1000 of an ounce.
  2. In 60 minutes it lost another 5/1000 of an ounce, for a total of 13/1000 of an ounce.
  3. I screwed up and did this with a bourbon I had never tasted before (Jim Beam Double Oak) so I can't say for sure what it did to the taste but I am certain that the typical ethanol burn wasn't there. And besides, I am a rookie and shouldn't be relied on for tasting notes anyway.
  4. I see I need to have my watch crystal polished.
  5. I made a pasta sauce for dinner.
  6. I had a Zombie Dust!
  7. The bourbon is pretty good!

Can I play? I love science!

So, I had to retrieve the scale from my teenage daughter's room. What in the world would a teenager need a scale for? Maybe she loves science, too! :confused:

Anyway, tare -

20210302_211134.jpg

Before - 1 and... uh, I think that's 71/1000ths of an ounce. Of Diplomatico. I like Diplomatico, I just do.

20210302_211209.jpg

After -

20210302_211245.jpg

10/1000ths.

So, my conclusion is that the AVB and AWB both disappeared, except for that Itsy Bitsy Bit. Odd.

Actually, assuming the correctness of the First Law of Thermodynamics, that's not actually true. Neither disappeared. They just ... changed form. It's Shake-n-Bake and I Helped!

But they say that a scientific conclusion, in order to be reliable, must be capable of repetition. So, I'm gonna transform another one. You're welcome.

You’ll start to notice major changes over time as a bottle has been opened as well. I’m not talking about taking the wrapper off and leaving the cork out. Just as you drink maybe a glass here or there more air is introduced to the bottle and around halfway I find that bottles really take on a whole new character. Now this isn’t really true when your on a bender and drink that half of the bottle in one night. One of the bottles I own that this was really noticeable was with Bomberger. It’s a rather potent whiskey and several people said to leave the glass out 30 minutes before taking a sip. While that did help I would say after that bottle has been opened for a month or two it’s now absolutely incredible. Still a slight burn but the flavors really pop now.

I personally prefer high proof whiskeys now because of this. The flavor of a high proof whiskey with a little time to breathe with blow away any low proofed.

You’ll start to notice major changes over time as a bottle has been opened as well. I’m not talking about taking the wrapper off and leaving the cork out. Just as you drink maybe a glass here or there more air is introduced to the bottle and around halfway I find that bottles really take on a whole new character. Now this isn’t really true when your on a bender and drink that half of the bottle in one night. One of the bottles I own that this was really noticeable was with Bomberger. It’s a rather potent whiskey and several people said to leave the glass out 30 minutes before taking a sip. While that did help I would say after that bottle has been opened for a month or two it’s now absolutely incredible. Still a slight burn but the flavors really pop now.

I personally prefer high proof whiskeys now because of this. The flavor of a high proof whiskey with a little time to breathe with blow away any low proofed.
I guess this would make sense since the flavor is coming from the alcohol and not the water?