• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Alterior Motives

I never heard of a "host bag" until this thread. And I don't think I like the idea of one.

I use to take part in trades and boxpasses, I never got involved to see how many cigars I could get...I'd always put in more than I took. Most of my trades have been one on one and straight up...and all of them went great.

During the past ten years, I've been a participant in many group buys and box splits, but just a few box passes. I've participated at several internet cigar forums and prior to the growth and sophistication of the web, many group buys and splits via cigar list-serves. To the best of my knowledge, not one person who hosted a group split or group buy did so to make a profit. The box passes in which I've participated either had no host bag or a host bag that by lottery went to one of the participants. The passes in which I've participated were always very specific, one and only one put, for each take.

The only time I've even been mildly singed in a group buy was about 25 years ago, when one of my closest friends, a member of our monthly cigar buying group, forgot to buy the smokes before he headed off on a two month trip to the Mediterranean. Of course, he made good when he returned.

Well, there was one real snafu, but that's for another time.

The Master said:
ggiese, the reason I have never got into a box pass or a group buy is because I am very lazy and hate going to the post office. It is also the reason I very rarely trade. lol
[snapback]253172[/snapback]​

:laugh:

But I heard about you being "generous"... or was that a nasty rumor... :whistling:

Sorry Neal - I cut it down to 10 words or less next time... ;)