• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Alterior Motives

I am going to play devils advocate on this one. Let's say I put together a box split or group buy. The facts are: I do the homework, I front the cash, I assume the liability (either cigars getting nabbed or someone welching), I spend my time and resources getting sent out withing 24 hours. If I advertise this Group Buy for 4 other people at $50 a head, and they agree to this price, am I ultimately in the wrong if I get my cigars for free? I am using the same internet as everyone else. These same people can go after their own cigars if wanted. These same people can question where the box is coming from and how much it costs the host. They sign up because the price point is right for them.

I am in Mokis school of thought, know your source.

As far as box passes go, I have never heard of a pass host putting in a host bag for himself. If people decide to throw in a freebie, it is because they choose to, not have to. SOmetimes I'll toss one in the host bag. But more often I wont. I'll put the extra cigar in the pass rotaion to allow others to partake of it. Granted the host gets an additional cigar, but it may be 3 times removed by the time it gets to him.

The pass host always makes out better when the pass gets back to him. But that is if the pass gets back to him. Or the pass gets back to him, and there are cigars that are damaged due to mishandling, over humidity, beatles, or some unscrupulous passer knowingly putting in damaged goods.

I am in passing for building bonds with people across the world. I find it exciting getting a pass. I find it exciting making my puts and takes. Hell, I find it exciting to put a freebie in a pass, knowing the host had neve smoked anything like that cigar.

When I do a split, or sell fivers, I am in it for combined buying power. I can get the best price available for the cigar I want to own. For a fiver, someone else is splitting the shipping cost. Sure, the possibility of getting prefferential treatment from the vendor exists. But I am the one spending my time passing on a great deal to the other BOTL's here on the site. Am I profiting for doing a split? Hell yeah I am, but am I a profiteer? Well that is your decision to make, in my eyes I am not. I am not over charging to make a buck.

Just my .02 cents.

-E

IMO you are in the wrong for smoking for free regardless...but that is just my opinion.

JimK said:
I am actually surprised that there is not more "profit" being made on all these box splits. I put profit in quotes, because when you consider the import risk the host is assuming, I don't think it is a very good way to make money.
[snapback]252635[/snapback]​

You're assuming that if something does go wrong that the host will eat the loss. In my experience, this doesn't always happen. Again, know your source, know your host. What will he do if the box is confiscated, refund your money and eat the loss, or tell you "sorry, the box was confiscated, I'm out money too" and leave it there?

moki said:
JimK said:
I am actually surprised that there is not more "profit" being made on all these box splits. I put profit in quotes, because when you consider the import risk the host is assuming, I don't think it is a very good way to make money.
[snapback]252635[/snapback]​

You're assuming that if something does go wrong that the host will eat the loss. In my experience, this doesn't always happen. Again, know your source, know your host. What will he do if the box is confiscated, refund your money and eat the loss, or tell you "sorry, the box was confiscated, I'm out money too" and leave it there?
[snapback]252664[/snapback]​

I agree with what you said, but that's not the risk to which I was referring.

JK

You can look around the boards and find hundreds, if not thousands, of people that have had cigars confiscated and received "the letter" yet you will most likely never find anyone who has paid a fine or served time for it.

Oh yeah... the pedant in me feels obligated to say: "ulterior" :)

It really irritates me when someone makes money off of me. Had it happen before, and it's total BS! I can't stand cheap skates either. You do a group buy, you split the total cost EVENLY! Hell, if it was me, I'm sure I'd somehow take a loss, but that's just me. I stand fully behind those on this board who are against making a profit off a group buy.

As for starting a pass to gain more cigars... The point of a cigar pass is to try a variety of cigars. I will always toss in 1 or 2 extra cigars as a thank you to the host. Now if someone starts a pass full of swishers, then we have a problem.

I will be very disappointed if I see anyone here starting group buys in order to make a profit.

Cliff has been doing this for quite some time. I questioned his prices a while back after getting in on a buy he did for some Party Shorts to see what he'd charge. He denied doing anything wrong.

He just got caught this time....

Harris is right though.... ;)

Another reason I enjoy hosting/organizing a group buy is to give folks who don't have sources or access to said cigars a chance to buy some. If I have a source, organizing a split is my way to "share the wealth" of my source without necessarily giving a newbie the name.

The fact that trades , box splits etc.. are expected to be even handed, makes this a great board.
I like that the members that know are willing to speak out. They keep this a good place to hang out.
There is an element of friendship and respect that goes into the way things work here.:love:

excellent conversation

Bill

Holy Crap! I'm supposed to get free ciagrs when I do a box split? I didn't get the memo. Fokkin FOGs. None of you ever told me. Bastards.

Ric - it's the new way of doing things... The FOG's ideas are too antiquated for some of the newer members... Don't EVEN think about saying something about it - that's bad form and "uncomfortable". :whistling:

Remember - "Kinder - Gentler"... ;)

The Master said:
Blinded, I think you are the exception to the rule, from what I have seen at all the other sites, profit is the main motivation for these activities.
[snapback]252562[/snapback]​

I don't think he's the only one Master. I'd held several box spits, and not only do I split the costs with my brothers down to the penny, as a stamps.com member, I save the box split members the 45 extra cents it costs for Delivery Confirmation as it's free for members.

Its easy to tell who does this regularly and who doesn't. While it doesn't mean one is taking advanage of anyone just because they do a lot of GB's it is a signal to look at why they do it.

I think you can still find someone that will do a box split for the good of the community and loses a small amount of $ in the process. ;)

The passes that I have started have been for fun and not for gaining cigars. Damn dude, I can buy my own cigars :laugh: . The latest pass I started was because I found a great vitola that I wanted to share with others. Sure there are folks who put additional cigars in the box, heck .. I usually put an extra something something in if I'm so inclined. But expected? ... for profit? ... nope, not here Harris but I'm sure that it does happen.

:cool:

I would like to thank all that replied and stated what this true family is about. That is why we say botl [brother of the leaf]. As for the people who seek to profit, watch yourself we look out for each other here.

I didn't think that a box pass should be split anyway but equally. It never occured to me that someone would up the price a little to make a profit and cover the cigars they are keeping in the split. I guess I am just naive. :blush:

Brian

I too disagree with the group buys for profit- I just did one (quietly by invite, since it was my first) And I never even thought of making an extra buck- I even set the prices depending if someone wanted the 12 split side or the 13! And any I decide to do in the future will be run the same way.

I will admit to a selfish reason for doing a buy however... I get to add a larger variety of cigars in my humidor, but at the exact same price as those I bought with.

As far as the passes go, I have added a host bag to a pass, and added to those presently in the pass, more of a 'thanks for letting the Noob in' than anything else. I'm starting to think about starting a pass in a few months, and it again is for a selfish reason- not 'free' cigars but rather a wider variety. There are so many people here with more knowledge than I have (not hard to do...) and have sampled many more than I ever will. That and our local store *SUCKS* for variety and price (damn local taxes...). If there was no host bag, and no extra cigars added, I still would do more passes both as a guess and a host. I would not be disappointed, nor hold a grudge in any way shape or form.

Not saying there are those out there that would do a pass for the freebies - I just happen to not be one of them.

just my input on this subject...

occifer143 said:
I would like to thank all that replied and stated what this true family is about. That is why we say botl [brother of the leaf]. As for the people who seek to profit, watch yourself we look out for each other here.
[snapback]252761[/snapback]​

Be careful what you say, Clint... There are a coupla members who would think you're doing some chest beating and they won't tolerate it!!! :laugh:

Swissy said:
I too disagree with the group buys for profit- I just did one (quietly by invite, since it was my first) And I never even thought of making an extra buck- I even set the prices depending if someone wanted the 12 split side or the 13! And any I decide to do in the future will be run the same way.

I will admit to a selfish reason for doing a buy however... I get to add a larger variety of cigars in my humidor, but at the exact same price as those I bought with.

As far as the passes go, I have added a host bag to a pass, and added to those presently in the pass, more of a 'thanks for letting the Noob in' than anything else. I'm starting to think about starting a pass in a few months, and it again is for a selfish reason- not 'free' cigars but rather a wider variety. There are so many people here with more knowledge than I have (not hard to do...) and have sampled many more than I ever will. That and our local store *SUCKS* for variety and price (damn local taxes...). If there was no host bag, and no extra cigars added, I still would do more passes both as a guess and a host. I would not be disappointed, nor hold a grudge in any way shape or form.

Not saying there are those out there that would do a pass for the freebies - I just happen to not be one of them.

just my input on this subject...
[snapback]252803[/snapback]​

...and Jim was VERY upfront and honest about everything related to the split. I KNOW the only "profit" he took from it was his getting some of what he wanted without having to buy the whole cow.

Now where's that trader's comment section... :laugh: